650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator
    Forum Index -> Electrical
rhilker

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 11:39 am    Post subject: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

This may be old hat to some of you but it's the first I have seen of it.

Powerdynamo permant Magnet Alternator and Electronic Ignition System:

12 volts alternator system with integrated solid state ignition for Yamaha XS650
Replaces complete stock ignition and alternator. The system is technically capable of running without a battery (which the stock alternator could not). If you want to use that option, please do observe our remarks on driving without a battery.

No carbons, no collector, no points or govenor problems any more. And sure, no need to modify engine casing.
Please note!

* Does not support the original safety relay that prevents starting into an already running engine.
* Does not support any existing electronic revolution counter. If you want a rev meter, have a look at our info here.
* Has only 150watts (ignition power however additional to that) and offers therefore less electric power than original alternator.
* This is not a tuning system to get more performance. This is a replacement kit for material no longer available, simply to keep the bike running.

advantage over original system

* may run without battery
(see however notes on that here)
* all parts are new
* no wear anymore on carbons and collector

documentation

* assembly instructions
* wiring diagram battery version
* wiring diagram without battery
* parts in the pack (photo)

photos

* the installed new system
* same view without engine cover
* the installed new stator coil
* timing - position at maximal advance
* timing - position at top dead center
* graphical illustration timing

Web Site: www.powerdynamo.biz

Product Page: www.powerdynamo.biz/en...69main.htm

Instructions: www.powerdynamo.biz/en...69inst.php

At $521.35 US it's kinda pricy but you could spend that easily just replacing the stock components it eliminates.

ksysview.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.68 KB
 Viewed:  300 Time(s)

ksysview.jpg

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

It isn't pricey at all. Figure $425 for a Sparx alternator/regulator and $225 for a pamco iggy, youre up to $650 and you ain't paid the shipping yet.
rhilker

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

Here's what is included:

You should have received those parts:

* preassembled stator unit
* rotor
* electronic advance unit ("Black Box")
* regulator/rectifier
* twin ignition coil
* relay with cables
* rotor nut and spacer shims
* puller for new rotor
* 2 screws M6
* cables and wire binder

mpack.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.47 KB
 Viewed:  298 Time(s)

mpack.jpg

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

I like it, no advance rod & weights, no battery. neat package.
Wonder how the advance curve looks? Bet that it's ok anyway!
Who's going to try it first?

jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

yamaman wrote:
Who's going to try it first?

Some rich guy from Australia. I'm already invested in a Sparx
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

$800 AU + stamps, bugger that!
Basicly the same as what I've got anyway, though mine doesn't have all the windings, only enough for the CDI

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

I would be a little cautious because of the alternator output being only 150 watts. As just about the whole world knows, the stock XS650 alternator has barely enough output to handle the electrical loads.

The XS650 is rated at 154 watts at 2000 RPM
196 watts at 3000 RPM
224 watts at 5000 RPM

If you cut your electrical load to bare minimum i.e. 40 watt low beam, LED taillight etc. it might work. Just seems like a bad idea to reduce the alternator capacity on a system that is already struggling. Just my 2 canadian cents worth.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

Maybe thier 150 watt rating is at idle and gets higher as the rpm's increase.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

I think Yamaha squandered too much power on safety features like ever-on lighting, safety interrupts and relays and other junk. When I get this thing up I'll have a Sparx system, chopper wired, leaving PLENTY of power for auxiliary lighting, a radar detector, or anything else I wanna hook up to it.
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

best thing i ever did, throw the whole harness in the garbage can, i have never seen an electrical system so bloody over engineered...retards at yamaha.... Being a j-man electrician has it's benefits. I actually have thought about making chopper harnesses for these bikes. I can rattle a harness off in 6 hours.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

oldskoolcool wrote:
best thing i ever did, throw the whole harness in the garbage can

That's my plan, man!
NateDogg

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

Old school, sign me up for one harness when you do that!! And Jimmy, I'm also looking at a sparx down the road so lemme know how it works out
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

wow! nice!! i dig!
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

Retiredgentleman wrote:
I would be a little cautious because of the alternator output being only 150 watts. As just about the whole world knows, the stock XS650 alternator has barely enough output to handle the electrical

If you cut your electrical load to bare minimum i.e. 40 watt low beam, LED taillight etc. it might work. Just seems like a bad idea to reduce the alternator capacity on a system that is already struggling. Just my 2 canadian cents worth.

Those were my thoughts exactly. Laughing With the banshee permanent magnet set up you have to do some work but I think you get more output wattage.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
rhilker

PostPosted: May 30, 2009, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

"It's made in Germany, you know the Germans make good stuff!"

Vince the Sham-Wow Man

PostPosted: May 30, 2009, 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

Unless you have a bad stator or rotor, it's not hard to get the charging system working. Even replacing the stator and rotor with a new rewind is less expencive than a sparx or simular after market setups, building one from from banshee parts isn't to costly. It seems to need a bit of work to get right. Adapters and such and putitng on timing marks. Pamcopete's Chrysler regulator and Radio Shack rectifier work great and are pretty inexpencive.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: June 13, 2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerdynamo Permanent Magnet Alternator

I've got about a 1000 miles on my banshee pma and I would Highly recommend it to anyone who is facing a new stator/rotor and such.Good part is that it only cost me about 200 bucks and a couple hours labor,lights are bright,signals work but the best thing is that it will run with a dead battery.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1