650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Run time on just Battery

Run time on just Battery
    Forum Index -> Electrical
Zero333

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Run time on just Battery

ALL. I am trying to diagnose my recharge problem, that is if I even have one. The bike will run for some time (20+ minutes of on road time) but then seems to lose power. Any idea how long or even if the bike will run on just battery power? I am planning to get a hold of a friend's multi-meter this week to go through the wiring checks but I figure I would send out this question to the board in the mean time.

any Thanks,
-Pete
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Run time on just Battery

That depend's on how good the battery is & the amount of charge is in it. Your gonna end up getting stuck if it's not charging,so charge the battery overnite on trickle,then run to a part's store like Advance or Auto Zone where they can check the charging system for free.Because the headlite is always on when running, the battery will discharge fast.Next time try to post the year & any mod's you've done, will help us alot. So we can help you.
NateDogg

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Run time on just Battery

Not long....trust me
xsleo

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Run time on just Battery

If you unhook every thing but the ignition, you can run about 4 1/2 hours. That is how some race bikes are set up. This way the alternator isn't drawing power away from the engine. This is not a good way to run a street bike. This can be a way to get home if you know the charging system quits and the battery is still fairly charged up.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Zero333

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Run time on just Battery

Thank you very much for all of your responses. I have to try to figure out if my regulater is messed up or if the new rotor/straitor is the issue here. I did find out the hard way yesterday, kept trying to push it, and got stuck about 2 miles from home.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1