650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

Well, I just finished adjusting my cam chain tensioner and valves. First time for me. I haven't adjusted valves on a bike since early 70s when I owned a Honda CA77. This was just as easy, although it took a bit of maneuvering to get the nuts and cover plates off. The rt. exhaust was a bit tight (about .004) so I adjust it out to the specified .006 and the rest were right on the money. The Cam tensioner needed to be screwed in just a turn of so as well.
I was a bit apprehensive when I began this, since I have not wrenched on a bike (Harley) in over 6 years, (other than some mods to a Kaw 800 Vulcan), and no real Japanese bike work since early 70s. I hate the bucket/shim valve adjustment on the newer bikes, and this XS was a real breeze, and even fun!
y plugs were looking good, so I just reinstalled with a little anti-sieze on the threads. Fired her up and she sounds good.
I am not sure if I would have done this myself had it not been for this forum! There are other Xs forums, and the listserve, but I think this is the best.
I guess I'm done for now.....thanks for listening, indulging my sickness (XS650-itis) and providing great advice, hints, insight and knowledge. Without you guys this sickness would be much harder to live with!

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

my local dealer (Yamaha) since 1967 says set the valves once a year and the cam chain every 1000 miles, works for me
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

The Yammy shop here wouldn't know how to do it...all the mechanics are kids!

DAve

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

Did you adjust the cam chain with the engine hot.......if not it will get tighter.....and depending on how you adjusted it .....it could get too tight..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

No, engine was cold. All I did was adjust it so that the in and out movement was the same.

Dave

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

Not right.............xsjohn
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

How should I adjust it xsjohn?

Dave

Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

xsjohn wrote:
Not right.............xsjohn

xsjohn, please explain a little more if you don't mind, I checked mine cold and it seemed right on, so I did not mess with it.

drifter, we have the same year XS and I too find my bike enjoyable to work on, the worst part of it is dealing what the PO owner(s) messed with in the last 30+ years.
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2009, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

I am aware of PO butchering. This bike, was basically untouched though. It was a 2 owner and the last owner had it for many years, buying it when it had only 2500 miles. He put another 9000 and kept it in great shape. I've had it for about a year now and haven't been able tom ride it as much as I'd like. Seems to be a really rainy year.

Dave

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 24, 2009, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Valves, Cam Chain Adjustment

Need to set it when the engine is hot..(as the engine warms it swells and the chain will tighten)...most say a mm of boggle.....I never measured it but if it still has some movement that is about right...I snug mine in till it stops and then back it out about a half a turn...Hot....ENGINE RUNNING...

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1