650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
renloy

PostPosted: May 21, 2009, 11:55 pm    Post subject: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

I got my 2-1 pipes in the mail today and when I looked closer at the part where the two pipes join together I saw rust already forming between the two pipes. Is this something I should be worried about? Should I try to get a replacement?

rustone.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.27 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

rustone.jpg

rust2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.2 KB
 Viewed:  287 Time(s)

rust2.jpg

islanddave

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

Well this is what I would do. And by no means is this the best course of action. First of all I would get really mad (btw this accomplishes absolutely nothing productive). Rolling Eyes I would them examine the rest of the system very closely for the same rust. If I found some more I would contact Mikesxs to inform them that you will be sending back a set of pipes. Whether you want a replacement set is up to you. From what I have heard the chrome on these things is not exactly show quality. But again look at the price. If he made them with triple chrome plate then he would have to charge accordingly. Also remember that if your jetting is off (which it will be with these new pipes) then you run the risk of blueing them before you realise that the jetting is off.
if you are going to run them then install them and then take a clean cloth and polish the crap out of them, as any finger prints with burn on to the chrome when they blue. A lot of people have had success with a anti-blue treatment. A word about fitment....some people have have issues with the kick starter and the rear brake lever hitting the pipe.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I understand that it is dissapointing to shell out hard earned cash for something that is new have have it look like a used or inferior piece. But if owning/working on/ riding bikes has taught me anything it is that nothing stays pristine for long. And most guys I know with bikes spend alot of cash trying to keep it looking new.

So after I went through all of this in my mind I might just be tempted to run them as they are (if they fit ok) and just enjoy riding the bike. There will be scratches on new paint jobs, rust on chrome, holes in tires, and rips in seats.They are knida like a badges of honor I guess. Laughing Learn to enjoy that you have earned them. And it certainly is alot cheaper.

Dave
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

Don't bother sending them back unless you want a refund because all his pipes have rust. He told me that himself. I tried to warn you guys here, maybe I should have posted pictures...
renloy

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

Well I sent them an email. We'll see what they have to say about it.
Mikesxs

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

It is impossible to chrome plate in grooves or holes so the plating that is deep in the collector is thin or non existant. Even Yamaha "Paints" a layer of silver paint in places like this on original steel exhausts. I advised that the pipe could be returned if unused and in original condition as sent. I intend to amend this on the site as it is not preventable and we were building for power and not appearance so the system has to be built as we do it now. We will post a video on our site soon to show the install as some claim they can't get systems to fit -- It's just as simple as grabbing the end of the pipe and pushing where you want it.

The XS650 was not constructed very accurately and the frames/mounts can easily be 1/8" - 1/4" off. A degree or so off at the head translates into a good half Inch ! at the end of the collector, but is easily relocated.
Give it a try it works ! Don't be so helpless. A pipe that will gain you 10HP is a very good deal at our selling price Mike @ Mikes XS
Joseph

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

I personally don't mind stuff like this, for a good price and good performance, and good quality, maybe some people want a show bike and I am sure they can get what they need somewhere for some amount of money and that is fine. Keep up the good work mikes XS don't change a thing.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

I just squirt some chain lube on places on my stock exhaust that I don't want any rust......down in the cracks of the joints and brackets....ect...

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

I'm talking about a nearly $600 exhaust system. I don't see how that's such a bargain you'd expect it to be rusty. Maybe you have a lot more money than me Joseph.

I'm not saying nobody should buy these things, but it's nice to know what you're getting before you spend the money.
Joseph

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

actually I dont have $600 to spend I was just speaking in relative terms the prices their seem cheaper than els ware. I was just speaking in general terms I didn't mean to single anyone out but that is hard to do when you are replying in a post. You might be right on this one.
Photo Gallery
blue900

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

I bought a set for my special, they are 1 year old. they are nice , no doubt they are heavy metal, well made, sound great, and will last a long time. Next time I take them off to clean I will touch up the necessary spots with High Heat aluminum. I was a a little disappointed they where not perfect, but There is nothing on my bike that is. All cleaned Up they are the nicest thing on the bike. The rust is similar to the Picture on the hard to get places
I had tin hose clamped and screwed holding the originals together and to patch the holes.
They are better made than the originals. Thank You to Mike
Photo Gallery
Mikesxs

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rust on brand new mikesxs 2-1 headpipes?

Taco: All develop surface rust inside as no makers have a way of plating the inside of an exhaust and all develop some harmless surface rust inside at a point. The only way of avoiding this is to build with stainless steel, and few out there would want to pay what that would cost.

Mike @ Mikes XS

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1