650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > carb diaphram repair? is it possible

carb diaphram repair? is it possible
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Fuel
SnailStoves

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 6:58 pm    Post subject: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

hi all, I recently took my carbs apart in an attempt to sort out a high rev sputtering thing that seemed to come and go. doesn't matter which gear i'm in - at high revs it can often 'miss' and it did seem to me to be only on one side though i knew not which.

ok, so i found a small split in the carb diaphram which looked to have been previously repaired. i got out my puncture repair kit and splodged some vulcanising rubber on there. put all back together and while it seemed to be an improvement, I'm not hopeful.

Does anyone have a good method of repair for this seemingly outrageously priced part that is So essential to overtaking!??!?!!!

many thanks smiffy

ps i like the new look

jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

use a nitrile disposible glove cutout piece ... and crazy glue ... or o-ring glue
SnailStoves

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

of course!
that's a good one
cheers bro, i'll try that.

wally

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

Ive repaired small holes using old diapram material cut into a circle patch stuck to under side of diaphram with ARALDITE
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

Keep in mind the diaphram flexes so the adhesive must flex as well - super glue does not flex.
www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
borjawil

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

if ya still need a diaphram i have two from 34's

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

Clear packing tape (not the reinforced kind) is flexible enough and makes a good seal.

Make the tape about 1/8" larger than the split on all sides. Clean all glue/whatever off the rubber, as it will only stiffen it and prevent the adhesive from making a good seal. Rubbing alcohol works well to remove rubber cement. Cover the slit from the back (under) side of the diaphragm and rub it on, making sure to get out any air bubbles.

After your repair, you can check the flexibility of the rubber by 'rolling' the rubber. Slightly pinch the rubber together to make a U shape, and roll the rubber back and forth in between finger and thumb and observe the shape of the U - it should stay fairly uniform as the rubber moves across the repaired area. The repaired and non-repaired area - They should bend at the same rate. If not, then you likely have a stiff spot at the repair which may cause problems. If so, try rubbing and rolling the repair some to see if it gets softer (mine did). If not, try a smaller patch if you can still get a good seal around it.

I've *heard* of people repairing them with a water-proof band-aid (at the side of the road even), but when I looked at the material, it seemed awfully thick and rigid for the purpose, so I stuck with the tape.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
SnailStoves

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

thanks for all the advice.
i gave it today with surgical glove and bicycle inner tube repair glue. I can't tell if it's still working cause there seems to be knock on effects. possibly the carbs need adjusting. as i said it had been repaired before.

a few points for the next person along

-surgical glove material is good stuff to use as it's so flexible and tough
-yes, you gotta put the patch on the underside of the diaphragm (unlike the previous repair on mine)

SnailStoves

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

to borjawil
many thanks but mine are 30mm and i'm in the uk where mikexs cannot go. what's up wit dat???

steelburner

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

SnailStoves:

Go to 650 Central at the link to Farrell's Shade Tree Corner --- repairing a carb diaphragm. He has a repair method he's used before and swears it works. The link to the Shade Tree Mechanic's Corner is at the bottom of the main page, on the left. The section on repairing the diaphragm is at the bottom of the page you'll be linked to.

Hope this helps if the others don't work out.

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

Are they stock carbs? the early ones are 38s and the newer xs650 were 34's

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

ah, when i sat they were 30mm. i took my measurement from the slide barrel, that which is permanently fixed to the rubber diaphram. it's off a 1981 and they do 'appear' to be stock. Whereabouts would you measure from?
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

They should be BS34's, check against the bottom of this page to be sure:

www.mikesxs.net/XS_Mod..._Chart.pdf

borjawil

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

if theyre stock then they are 34's

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

yep, that looks like them. not a good write up huh?
SnailStoves

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

seems like i got all those adjustments to do. I got 'almost' straight-thru pipes on there and have recently fitted k&n's though she was running with nothing for a while.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

If you get the diaphram sorted, PM xsjohn, he can get you tuned in on the 34's!
SnailStoves

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

ok, thanks. i spose the only way to make sure of the repair i've done is to whip it off again and check it out. if all looks ok, i'll get on with the rest. if not i'll be getting in touch with borjawil for his pair.

Thanks everyone

SnailStoves

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

A rookie police officer pulled a biker over for speeding and had the following exchange:
Officer: May I see your driver’s license?
Biker: I don’t have one. I had it suspended when I got my 5th DUI.
Officer: May I see the owner’s card for this vehicle?
Biker: It’s not my bike. I stole it.
Officer: The motorcycle is stolen?
Biker: That’s right. But come to think of it, I think I saw the owner’s card in the tool bag when I was putting my gun in there.
Officer: There’s a gun in the tool bag?
Biker: Yes sir. That’s where I put it after I shot and killed the dude who owns this bike and stuffed his dope in the saddle bags.
Officer: There’s drugs in the saddle bags too!?
Biker: Yes, sir.
Hearing this, the rookie immediately called his captain. The biker was quickly surrounded by police, and the captain approached the biker to handle the tense situation:
Captain: Sir, can I see your license?
Biker: Sure. Here it is.
It was valid.
Captain: Who’s motorcycle is this?
Biker: It’s mine, officer. Here’s the registration.
Captain: Could you slowly open your tool bag so I can see if there’s a gun in it?
Biker: Yes, sir, but there’s no gun in it.
Sure enough, there was nothing in the tool bag.
Captain: Would you mind opening your saddle bags? I was told you said there’s drugs in them.
Biker: No problem.
The saddle bags were opened; no drugs.
Captain: I don’t understand it. The officer who stopped you said you told him you didn’t have a license, stole this motorcycle, had a gun in the tool bag, and that there were drugs in the saddle bags.
Biker: Yeah, I’ll bet he told you I was speeding, too.

BiffTirkle

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

i used to have a kawasaki kz440 that had patched diaphrams. it was like someone put a tire patch on them.

if you can, buy new from mikes, why not!?

but if you have a bike that parts are not as available, and or you just want to repair your stock carbs, this guy did a good job on my kz440 carbs

this guy is located in the UK

www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/index.htm

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

yeah i thouhght about that and at the same time i tried to order a pamco high output ignition system, but mikesxs can't get their heads around posting to the uk. dunno why i send parcels to canada regularly and it's no hassle. there's no taxes on parcels coming into the uk like canada and the us.
thanks for the link, i'll look into it
good luck with the namr change tho biff tirkleis pretty cool :o)

BiffTirkle

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

www.xs650shop.de/startseite/?t=9613

that is supposed to be mikes european partner or something.

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

Diaphram replacement rubber on ebay............

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...240%3A1318

tuffbuilt

PostPosted: May 24, 2009, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: carb diaphram repair? is it possible

I used my sons rubber cement from his school project to repair mine. Seemed to work pretty good.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2