650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > LED tail light

LED tail light
    Forum Index -> Electrical
xsleo

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 8:45 am    Post subject: LED tail light

On my vacation I stopped at a Pep Boys to look at what they had for LED lights. I found a turn/tail/brake light with a metal housing and a bottom mount bolt.
I thought that if I could get the LED's out I could fit them in my lense. If not I could just drill holes in the metal housing and mount it on the stock tail light base.
The LED's And lense were held in with a snap ring, after I pulled the LED's and lense out I remeved the lense, held by two small screws.
The LED's fit into the lense with about 1/16" clearance. There is a lip around the LED's. I held the LED's in place in the lense and drilled thru the screw holes to make holes in the lip. This way the holes line up.
I had to remove the stock bulb socket and reflector from the housing. I then held the LED's in the lense and screwed it back on the housing. The screws were a bit tough to get lined up, but hold the LED's tight enough to keep them from moving around.
I'll post some pics to show how it went.

led tail light and turn signals 014.jpg
 Description:
Stock housing with socket and reflector removed
 Filesize:  143.04 KB
 Viewed:  247 Time(s)

led tail light and turn signals 014.jpg

led tail light and turn signals 012.jpg
 Description:
drilling holes in lip of LED's
 Filesize:  160.33 KB
 Viewed:  227 Time(s)

led tail light and turn signals 012.jpg

led tail light and turn signals 008.jpg
 Description:
light in package
 Filesize:  204.67 KB
 Viewed:  244 Time(s)

led tail light and turn signals 008.jpg

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: LED tail light

More pics

led tail light and turn signals 017.jpg
 Description:
Lights lit, turns light with brake
 Filesize:  231.61 KB
 Viewed:  268 Time(s)

led tail light and turn signals 017.jpg

led tail light and turn signals 016.jpg
 Description:
Bottom view with LED's in stalled
 Filesize:  117 KB
 Viewed:  226 Time(s)

led tail light and turn signals 016.jpg

led tail light and turn signals 013.jpg
 Description:
Holes in the LED's lip
 Filesize:  157.79 KB
 Viewed:  235 Time(s)

led tail light and turn signals 013.jpg

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: LED tail light

Nicely done, looks good too.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: LED tail light

Leo, look's good. Nice job, I looked through your photo's that you posted, & I gotta say, your presentation is top's. Very clear.
xsleo

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: LED tail light

Thanks gordo, now I know how to get pics posted and a good camera I can do a better job of showing my mods. I put a few more in my photo gallery. rg it went a lot better than the other LED light I had, not as much mods to the LED's, and thanks for getting me pointed in the amp saving direction. I plan on changeing out the front turn signals too.

Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: July 19, 2009, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: LED tail light

I got the front turn signal LED's installed and a few problems cropped up with the brake light adapter I installed to light the rear turn signals with the brake lights.
After I put the new LED's in the front I turned the lights off to save the battery while I played with the turn signals. I noticed that the tail light would flash dimly with the turn signals, and the right front turn signal lit with the brake light.
I thought that there was some feedback I could fix with some diodes. Tried the diodes in as many ways that I could think of, no luck. I guess the adapter can't handle LED's. I removed the adapter and the lights all work right. no feedback.

Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 20, 2009, 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: LED tail light

check all grounds, a poor ground will feed back like that,

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1