650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
yz837

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 11:33 am    Post subject: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

I replaced the driectionals with smaller ones, and am planning on getting a flasher today from auto zone because they just light up amber and dont flash. Anyone got an autozone part number? Will any 2 terminal thermal flasher work? And I also have the no headlight problem, im going to try to bypass the RLU tonight. But I dont think im getting power up at the headlight bezel. Can anyone let me know if im taking this approach correctly?
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me

What year is your bike? The headlight and the turn signals don't work very well if the voltage is low. Tell us what battery voltage you have at 1200RPM (wait a few minutes after starting) and at 2500 RPM.
Photo Gallery
yz837

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

1980, I don't have a tach so I cant tell you. Batt voltage is 12.6V without a charger. And I was trying the lights with a battery charger on it to be sure
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

Engine needs to be running for the light to come on you realise?

1200 is high idle, round about will do, 2500 is very fast idle!

Yeah if your running lower wattage bulbs on the turn signals, you might need the appropriate flasher can. 2 prong will do, though you wont have self cancelers anymore.

yz837

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

I could care less about the cancel, but I need to know if it matters if I get a thermal or electronic flasher.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

Well I looked in the crystal ball and found you have 19.8 watt turn signal bulbs, so you need a disachronic flasher can with 4 prongs, you'll of course have to do a heap of rewiring to get it going, but by the sounds of it, that should hardly be a challenge for you, cheers
yz837

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

All I did was ask a question because I was unsure of what to get. And all I get is rediculos answers. Totally uncalled for. Hope you have an awesome day
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

Well if you posted some relevent info, someone might help!
What is the turn signal bulb wattage? That is what tells you which flasher to get!

Also RG sasked about battery voltage, If anyones answer was "rediculos" (ridiculous) it was yours! Cheers

yz837

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

yamaman wrote:

Also RG sasked about battery voltage, If anyones answer was "rediculos" (ridiculous) it was yours! Cheers

You try to make a fool out of me and you bury yourself in a hole.
I don't know the wattage at the moment, as I am at work right now. I will find out. Should a Thermal Flasher work? or do I have to use an Electronic?
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

Mate, I'm not in a hole.
What I have been trying to explain to you is, the wattage of the bulbs determines the flasher can ffs! See ya

yz837

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

Can anyone help me out here?
Photo Gallery
s008ess

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

Have you switched to LED lights?
yz837

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

No I still have bulb. Just wondering if I need to get Electronic or Thermal or if it even matters.
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me

yz837,......... First of all you need to get a rev counter to measure the voltage at the revolutions.............Checks the charging system.As stated previously, not enough charge the blinkers won't work.
The bulb has to be the rite one or again the blinkers wont flash, Information on the new blinkers is important as without that information the correct answer can not be given to you about the flasher unit...............These are the 2 things you have to do
Photo Gallery
yz837

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm no directionals and headlight for me?

I used a 2 prong Tridon 552 flasher. Everything works great!
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1