650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > oug... needing some advice

oug... needing some advice
    Forum Index -> Frames
ludo410

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 5:58 am    Post subject: oug... needing some advice

my frame is down to have some welding done, so i have about one to two days to decide what to do with it. It's ready for paint i just need some opinions on how and what, underlineing the "what" I'm looking for a heavy duty paint that dosen't need to be baked, im broke so a can't shell out the clams to get it powder coated like i would prefear.. and i reather not "piss" can another frame. i stick to what i know "makeing them runn" so im not a paint guy
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

RUSTOLEUM is a good paint for frames. Pretty tough and flexible so it won't be prone to chipping. I've used it many times.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

Tremclad applied with a brush. It is self-levelling and if you thin it out a little (10%?) it will slow down the drying time allowing it to level out nice and smooth. Sand down to 600 or so between coats.

Semigloss looks nice on the frame, if you buff it out a little it gets a good deep sheen to it. No primer is needed and it is easy to touch-up.
JeffM

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

Check out this thread, and the pictures of the orange Charger painted in Tremclad. I have used this on sidepanels and fork covers, will probably do a fueltank this summer and maybe the family car as well.
board.moparts.org/ubbt...art=1&vc=1

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can.
ludo410

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

the tremclad thing look intresting...now if i can just find where they sell it by the gallon. My local orchard is a joak they only have one half isle for there paint
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

JeffM that Tremclad post is very interesting.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

That Mopar thread is hilarious... it goes on and on, lots of doubt. I recently saw an article about a Corvair that a someone painted with Tremclad; stripes and all it looked great. It's hard to believe you can brush or roll and get good results, but it worked for me on some small pieces.

One big appeal is the easy cleanup. You can seal your wet brush in a ziplock and throw it in the frezzer until you're ready for the next coat. If you have ever worked with oil-based varnish on wood, thinned tremclad is very similar. I used a foam brush and you must maintain a wet edge, and go in just one direction, one coat, no going back. It's amazing how any small bubbles or fisheyes will (usually) disappear in a few hours. Ready to wetsand in about 24hrs.
It does take a few weeks to cure completely, you can polish after that.

I love the depth that clearcoat gives, but single stage has a certain vintage depth and feel to it that's nice. I don't know if Tremclad is available everywhere...
ludo410

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

aarrg tremclad in not avalibule in cal
JeffM

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

hmmm, smuggling opportunity!! I'll bring some Phillips Blue Buck ale as well... you have to do something while the paint dries.

I just googled Tremclad, it is actually a Rustoleum brand... I wonder if you contact Rustoleum if they can help. It is an acrylic enamel (alkyd). The mopar thread may have the US equivilent buried in it somewhere as well.

I came across a reference to someone using the same technique with marine enamel, Interlux boat paint. Whatever you find, you don't want a fast drying formula... the slower the better so it can level.
acetek

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

IF Your doing black the best toughest superflowing brushable black is POR 15 ....POR15 chassis paint www.por15.com/BLACKCOT...tinfo/BCG/
Almost as tough as powdercoating flows smooth as glass. Try it you wont be sorry ...about 10 times tougher than any cheap rustoleum enamal. If you use it, put on gloves!!!!! dont ask me how I know.
PS it goes a long ways. A quart would do 3 frames...................................................
ludo410

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

humm not the first time i have had paint on me for over a week or chem burns... thanx ill check it out
JAKE76XS650

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

I just stripped down my bike to the frame and had a similar problem to deal with. how to repaint the frame for cheap, but make it durable and resistant to the salty marine layer here on the coast in northern california. I decided to go with Herculiner. there are many skeptics one the product but after I helped a friend do his truck bed with the product, I was pretty satisfied with how it looked. prep is definitely key, and take your time, wear gloves and a long sleeved shirt because if it dries on your skin it is nearly impossible to get off. the finish is rough for sure, but after it cured i can tell it is going to stand up to the relentless corrosion where i live. and if it has the wrong color of black you're looking for, you can paint it with a poly-urethane based paint while it is fresh and still clean. one can costs about $30 and i just brushed it on. a roller doesn't work too well on a frame Smile it's available at kragens or any other similar auto parts store.
something to think about to add to your options!

jake
nudude53

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

"Por 15" chassis paint
Jack

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: oug... needing some advice

Por 15,really good product.

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1