650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > ready...set....leak all over!

ready...set....leak all over!
    Forum Index -> Fuel
KZMAN

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 1:46 pm    Post subject: ready...set....leak all over!

Well, I just got my 72 tank back from the radiator shop....put the tank on and attached the two fuel lines. Then I borrowed a battery from my KZ. Everything lights up and is looking good. I'm within seconds of firing her up for the first time! So I commence to put about one gallon of gas in the tank and then it happens.....fuel streaming out of both petcocks all over the bike and the garage floor! So now what? I guess I need to rebuild the petcocks. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
BigGeorge

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

Well you can order new manual on / off petcocks from Mikesxs or get rebuild kits and rebuild the ones you have.. I had the same problem with my 79 and I went with the manual ones from Mikesxs, no more problems................BG
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

Vacuum's should be tossed. I bought rebuild kits and they still leaked. Now running Mikes manuals.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
HndaTch627

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

ugh, yesterday i went and got a full tank of gas, without thinking i parked the bike in the sun. Came out to a puddle of fuel and a slightly tweaked carb float.
KZMAN

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

The petcocks on my 72 are manual. So, are Mike's rebuild kits OK to use? I'd rather rebuild for $15.00 per side than replace for $39.00 per side. Also, should I replace the fuel lines while I'm doing this?
BigGeorge

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

I would take the petcocks apart and inspect the pot metal or what ever they are made of for pitting etc. If everything looks ok there, then the rebuild kits should be ok. I was thinking you had the vacuum ones thats why I suggested Mikes manuals in my earlier post.. Yes change the fuel lines too, cheap insurance against failure down the road..........BG
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

BigGeorge wrote:
I would take the petcocks apart and inspect the pot metal or what ever they are made of for pitting etc. If everything looks ok there, then the rebuild kits should be ok. I was thinking you had the vacuum ones thats why I suggested Mikes manuals in my earlier post.. Yes change the fuel lines too, cheap insurance against failure down the road..........BG

+1

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: May 10, 2009, 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

Mikes rebuild kits worked well on my 72. I sanded out some pits from the back of the handle, where it contacts the washer. I would add a pair of the fuel filters (Part #20-6421) as well.
3/16 fuel line is a struggle to stretch on the first time, but it's tight enough you don't need clamps.
If your concerned about the age of your fuel lines, you may want to check the condition of the two lines that run between the carbs. Easy to check while the tank is off.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2009, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

Fully agree with the posts here. Sometimes the 1/4" fuel line wants to leak. 3/16"is tight but no leaks. Fuel line is so cheap, it should be replaced quite often.
Photo Gallery
KZMAN

PostPosted: May 10, 2009, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

Thanks everyone! I will pull the petcocks off sometime this week to inspect. Once I determine their condition I will proceed with either a rebuild kit or just replace them with new.

On a side note, I really appreciate all of the good hearted folks on this board. You all have been very helpful. Once I get this thing running, I will be asking yet again for some guidance regarding my frozen front disc brake!

Thanks again.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2009, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

Frozen disc's have been discussed. Might be time to play with the search feature of the board.

650rider.com/index.php...ic&p=53504

ake sure to read the last post.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 11, 2009, 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

On this subject, is 3/16" clear fuel line readily available? And is there any concern about it splitting over the barbs and micro fuel filter inlets/outlets?
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: May 12, 2009, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

TC
I just picked up some clear 3/16 line from Auto Zone on the lawn mower tune-up display rack, plenty to re-plumb your bike's fuel system for under 5 bucks. Cheap enough to change every year, it will yellow and start to get brittle after that. It won't split unless you use old stock, also works good for a battery vent tube as well. The tubing that I got with a new battery wasn't long enough to clear the swing arm and acid burned up my pretty new mufflers and chain guard. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Now I run it down below the breather pipes. Chrome ain't cheap, clear tubing is!

KZMAN

PostPosted: May 17, 2009, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

I received my petcock rebuild kits from Mikes and the good news is that I was able to get the bike started! Now the bad news....the petcocks still leak. The right side is especially bad. It seems to leak primarily out of the lever area but I'm not 100% certain. The left side is also still leaking but not nearly as much. Are there any thoughts as to why this is happening? Should I just buy new ones or am I just missing something?
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: ready...set....leak all over!

nudude53 wrote:
TC
I just picked up some clear 3/16 line from Auto Zone on the lawn mower tune-up display rack, plenty to re-plumb your bike's fuel system for under 5 bucks. Cheap enough to change every year, it will yellow and start to get brittle after that. It won't split unless you use old stock, also works good for a battery vent tube as well. The tubing that I got with a new battery wasn't long enough to clear the swing arm and acid burned up my pretty new mufflers and chain guard. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Now I run it down below the breather pipes. Chrome ain't cheap, clear tubing is!

Excellent! I think I have seen it... just need to make sure it's 3/16 and pick some up. I actually used some fuel line for my battery as well, because the drainage boogered my chain guard a bit; the line runs to slightly behind the chainguard now. I'm seriously considering a maintenance-free battery, though, in the near term. The others are a PIA.

(Didn't mean to hijack the thread, btw.)

As to the petcocks, personally, I think they're cheap enough that I'd replace them if possible. It seems to me that rebuilds on small parts like that have a higher margin for error, at least for my skill. My pc's were pretty grody, and possibly incorrect, installed with adapters by the PO, so I replaced them and nipped that issue in the bud.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1