650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > '78 Special fork tubes

'78 Special fork tubes
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
cathalp

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 10:11 pm    Post subject: '78 Special fork tubes

Can someone look at the picture of my '78 Special in my gallery and tell me if it looks like my fork tubes are stock length. They measure up about 80mm longer than the tubes on my '79 and '81. Was this a year specific length or has the po installed longer tubes. When I compare to other pics it looks like the front of mine is a bit high. Not sure I like it. It handles fine.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Special fork tubes

the red bike (same as your avatar) looks extended
danno

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Special fork tubes

The forks are definitely extended,I would guess between 4 and 6 inches. Also,the seat looks as though it has been retrofitted from a late model Special ( if it doesn't hinge on the right side,it isn't original to this bike ).
The lower right side engine cover is not original to a ' 78 Special either,as evidenced by the oil level sight glass. I could find other discreprancies,but I have probably already ruined your day...
As long as you like the bike,I wouldn't worry. That is one nice looking scooter!
cathalp

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Special fork tubes

The discreprancies are my own work,the shocks are off the same '81 that the side case is off and the slotted disk is off an XS11. She was bone stock when I got her apart from the now revealed extended front. I have a choice of stock front ends if I wish to return her to original. She also has a solid state reg/rec(not stock and better for it).Thanks for the revelation,I think I'll leave her as she is.
cathalp

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Special fork tubes

Oh,the seat is a NOS item,exactly the same as the one it replaced without the rips,hinged to the side......which I have just found out is a Yamaha custom low seat,it came in it's original Yamaha box. Must have been an option back in the day.

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1