650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Doug's xs 650 cafe project

Doug's xs 650 cafe project
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
Diego

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Doug's xs 650 cafe project

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this site. I have read a lot of the forums and am glad to see so many xs enthusiasts who are so knowledgeable about this great bike. This is my first project bike and have some questions.(please see profile pics) I have a 1981 xs 650 that I have been turning into a cafe racer. My question concerns a new oil leak that is coming out of a spout located at the top rear of the engine block. I have a picture of it circled in red on my profile pics. Anybody know what this could mean...It sure doesn't seem good to me. There is a hose connected to this with a small breather valve on it. Any information that anyone can pass on would be greatly appreciated...Thanks...
Doug

valve.jpg
 Description:
oil leaking here...
 Filesize:  385.58 KB
 Viewed:  126 Time(s)

valve.jpg

Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug's xs 650 cafe project

Welcome Diego!

That spout is the crankcase breather.
Hopefully it is just as simple as too much oil in the engine... Mine mists out a fair bit of oil if the level is above half on the dipstick.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug's xs 650 cafe project

yes needs a hose routed to airboxes (if stock air filters, I don't thin' so with those carbies) down and away under the swingarm otherwise, lots of different opinions on breather valves
Diego

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug's xs 650 cafe project

Thanks for the quick replies...I did just change the oil and level is right at half...I seem to be losing quite a bit of oil however.....Worst case scenario?
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug's xs 650 cafe project

Diego here is a post TeeCat started on the subject, mite help a bit but then most of us aren't to sure about this..........still finding our way www.650rider.com/index...ply&t=7334
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Doug's xs 650 cafe project

Welcome!

This may be the post that skull is referring to; his link kept taking me to a "post reply" field for some reason. But thanks, skull, for the referral.

And yes... breathing issues related to oil consumption and displacement/leakage are something that we're feeling out way through. Basically, though, it seems that these engines are designed to operate with a modicum of crankcase vacuum in order to minimize oil expulsion from seals, case joints, and gaskets.

I'm just learning but will help if I can.

TC
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Doug's xs 650 cafe project

Crankcase pressure or excessive oil out the breather probably means the engine has high mileage and things such as rings and valve seals are worn. Compression or leak down test would be the next thing to do.
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug's xs 650 cafe project

Wouldn;t have a clue as to what i did on the last post...........Must be the drugs, Can't drink alcohol Laughing ..........here i tried again and checked it this time Wink www.650rider.com/index...viewresult

Last edited by 650skull on May 8, 2009, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
tintin

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug's xs 650 cafe project

Got more pics of your bike? Looks like you have extenders on your carb mounts?

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1