650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > PAINT !!!!!!

PAINT !!!!!!
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
jetero41

PostPosted: April 28, 2009, 6:58 am    Post subject: PAINT !!!!!!

Couldn't find a logical forum listing for paint so I'm here.

Got a free, old Bell Star 1 with my bike. Has a red base with black, grey and white graphic.
-Is this vinyl "sticker" or paint?? As I sand I can't decide.
-Painting advice..... Go all the way to the white parent plastic or can I paint over a well prepared surface even if traces of the graphic (sticker or paint) remains??
-Primer recommendations, must be "rattle cans" ???????

*****Eastwood.com now offers 2 part epoxy primer and gloss clear in cans. They have an interior container of catalyst that has a breaker button on the bottem of the can. Those of you contemplating a tank paint job...........

-Last but not least, the tank had some "bubbles" where the seat had rubbed the tank. Upon sanding I find discoloration (corrosion/rust ????) under a skim coat of "Bondo" (figure this is a factory skim coat).
Is it "normal for "Bondo" to create a slight corrosion on bare metal as it cures????? Never taken "Bondo" down to bare metal before.
Need to know how far to go.

I know this is alot but sure am hoping for responses.
Thank you
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 28, 2009, 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: PAINT !!!!!!

If moister got under the bog and was causing some rust i would be inclined to take it back to the metal before restarting............I am no painter but that is what i would do
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: April 28, 2009, 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: PAINT !!!!!!

Like skull said, go to the bare metal, a good quality aircraft paint stripper will do the job and is faster than sanding. Not to mention the fact that there might be other hidden treasures under that old paint that you need to be aware of. A sweet paint job is dictated by the prep work, take the time to get it right, and don't be afraid to spend some money on quality paint.
willyguzzi53

PostPosted: April 28, 2009, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: PAINT !!!!!!

Go careful with the aircraft stripper. It will eat old paint really fast as well as anything plastic or rubber. ( Sneakers, etc.) You will also know IMMEDIATELY if you get some on you, particularly a sensitive part like the inside of your elbow, etc. Be sure to use a horse or hog hair brush to spread. Have alot of water available to flush.

PostPosted: May 1, 2009, 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: PAINT !!!!!!

Please, someone has to have some input on the helmet issue.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 1, 2009, 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: PAINT !!!!!!

if your helmet is old enough to need painting you need a new one, always heard you weren't supposed to paint them anyway
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: PAINT !!!!!!

As the old Bell ad's used to say, "if you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet!"

ost helmets shouldn't be painted, as the chemicals can react and weaken the structure. Also some stickers can cause the same problems!

Some new helmets are designed to be painted, though I assume with a specific type of paint! Modern water based paints are pretty good, so if you must paint it, thats what I'd go for.

I have painted a couple of helmets in the past, with seemingly no effects. I didn't ever end up putting them to the ultimate test though!

Consider the consequences & do your family a favour, buy yourself a nice shiney new one!

BeanerBiker

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: PAINT !!!!!!

jetero41 wrote:
Please, someone has to have some input on the helmet issue.

Having just completed my MSF class...this issue was brought up. You have no idea if the helmet has been dropped or altered. Its really, as others have stated, not a good idea to use a worn helmet. Not only could it have been dropped, it also has been worn and the sweat from the other person(s) has broken down the foam in the helmet. Recommendations are to buy a new helmet every three years even if its the ONLY helmet you have worn and there have been no issues with it.
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: PAINT !!!!!!

The Bell Star used stickers, they can be peeled off. But I wouldn't use it. I tossed a Kevlar Simpson helmet from my first incarnation riding and bought a new helmet. Danger of breakdown from age and I figure the world got smarter in the last 25 years.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2009, 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: PAINT !!!!!!

jetero, moto direct.com has helmet's in all price range's. They are good people to do business with.I've bought jacket's, helmet's, chaps, saddle bags, from them ,all with satisfactoru result's.Gordo
ghostyder

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: PAINT !!!!!!

if you want an old school helmet and dont care about the safety issue, paint it. or else get one from biltwell. my biltwell helmet is the lightest comfortablest helmet ive ever owned, definately not DOT, though

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1