650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
greensngravy

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 9:06 pm    Post subject: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

I got an e-mail from MikesXS last week that said they have prototyped a cafe seat very similar to the one they already sell (for the older models) and it should be available this summer. I just hope they keep to that schedule.

I want to have my '81 Special completely cafe'd by fall.... I want it to be a blend of old style (already have the '73 rear brake light cluster and a MikesXS black/gold tank) and Special mags/Special side covers and black slash-cut pipes.

Will post pics when I can.

GNG
geoff1408

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

mate sounds good get those pictures posted would like too check it out, like to look at the special mags and sidecover set up you have. regards geoff perth
greensngravy

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summ

In progress: just installed new MikesXS black/gold tank, and I am waiting for the cafe seat for Specials to come out this summer. Once I get the seat I'll add the early model rear brake lights to "stretch" the bike out a bit and give it that low growly look... Twisted Evil

picasaweb.google.com/g...avy/XS650#
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 7, 2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

I like the tanks look good on the specials, helps to balance the bulky seats
Photo Gallery
greensngravy

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summ

Exactly what I was thinking. I think the new more narrow and longer cafe seat will change the whole dynamic, and adding the longer old-school rear brake light will make it look leaner and taller in the back and fatter and prowlier (new word) in the front!!
greensngravy

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Most Recent Upgrade on Special Cafe Project

I kept the pics of the "before" bike along with the "after" photos.

Just removed my back grab bars and original rear brake lights and installed a '73 vintage rear brake light. I will add a small round leather carrying case behind the seat to give it some continuity... Not sure how I like it, but when the new cafe seat comes it will be an easy change-out because I retain the original seat hinges which the new MikesXS seat will be compatible with, and voila - instant Cafe Classic!

Give me some feedback on changes I can make when you get a chance!

Scott

picasaweb.google.com/g...650Phase2#
greensngravy

PostPosted: May 11, 2009, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Phase 3 of Cafe Project

Decided Phase 2 wasn't working so reinstalled the grab bar and removed the original brake lights, replacing them with a small leather carrying case. Finishes it off much better that way. I can live with this setup until my MikesXS cafe seat comes in. Geez, the ass end of these Specials are too dang huge! Laughing

Scott

picasaweb.google.com/g...650Phase3#
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

Looking forward to a seat for my 81 XS650, I'm at a stand still as to what seat to install. I currently am riding it with the stock seat strapped with a bungy cord. I removed the stock mounts and was thinking of cutting the frame to accomodate the tail section I purchased but am a bit hesitant. I am considering a brat style seat to keep the cost down. Decisions, decisions.....

mexipike

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

Is it summer yet?!
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summ

Been summer here for months it seems.. Cool
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
rhilker

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

In the meantine: Check Out: www.hotwingglass.com/

Cool Seats.

I hate to say this but if you took all the stock stuff off you may have trouble with MikesXS seat. As far as I know it's desined to accept the pin and clevis hardware and mates with the seat lock.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summ

I make & sell seat bases identical to those on Ebay for £30 if anyones intrested...
Photo Gallery
rhilker

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

What do you mean XS1961? Shoot me a link or post a PIC.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summ

Here, Ive sold dozens on Ebay over the last few years £25 to 650Rider members

seat 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.24 KB
 Viewed:  322 Time(s)

seat 001.jpg

Photo Gallery
zimme71

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

Ditto here XS1961. I have an 81 XS650, and am interested in swapping out the seat for something different. I'm curious as to what you have, and would love to see pics....
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summ

You mustve been typing that as I was submitting the pics ! Smile

Last edited by xs1961 on June 3, 2009, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
YamaBob

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

I got an email from Mike stating he wouldn't be seeing those cafe seats till August. Any other places I can get one of those seats from?

Thanks,

Bob
rhilker

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

I like it. It's similar to the hotwings one. So all I would have to do is buy the hinges and latch from MkesXS and I'm in business?

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: MikesXS Coming Out with Cafe Seat for Specials this Summer!!

Is it August yet?

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1