650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > I've seen this before...

I've seen this before...
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
penn71911

PostPosted: April 25, 2009, 9:30 am    Post subject: I've seen this before...

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...otorcycles

At the Timonium Cycle show a few months back... this was one of the two XS's at the show.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

.....as Abe Lincoln once said, "For those who like that sort of thing, that's just the sort of thing they would like."

I guess that's the nicest thing I can say about it...... Rolling Eyes

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

Wouldn't you love to ride it fifty miles in the rain?
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

I like the way he sells it................."Vintage headlight with just the right amount of surface rust -- brand NEW bulb -- low beam only -- switch is on the housing -- if you want a high beam too, just get a hi/lo bulb and put a three way switch ($5) in the same hole, wire it up (super easy) and you are ready to go."..................mmmmmmmmm wounder if any of you guys would buy my new garage find ..."has just the right amount of surface rust , engine seized, (Just needs a $s worth of CRC to loosen up the pistons). Front calipers seized, (Throw them away don't need front brakes). Unsure if the electrics work, (Just throw them away and run a wire from the battery to the starter, if that don't work the wire must be faulty get a new one). And only for a price that i would want, and you would hate me for.
Photo Gallery
gs1327
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

And people are bidding on it? Leftover scrap parts with a title.

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

gs1327 wrote:
And people are bidding on it? Leftover scrap parts with a title.

I think he really has spent money on it. He's proud of it because he had a vision in mind when he started and he evidently thinks he achieved it. What fascinates me about it -- and it's a thing I've seldom seen in my life -- is that it sacrifices every bit of function in order to achieve form. It's an example of abstract art, completely useless except as a visual statement of . . . What?
BigGeorge

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

Now that the cookie cutter $50,000 fat 300 mm tire chopper has run its cource the next wave seems to be the "pitina" bike... Just put a bunch of rusty parts togeather (paint is for sissies) and the masses will come running... The wannabes will buy into it because they think they are buying into "cool" but they wouldnt know "cool" it it hit them in the head........... BG
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

so you're saying I should have kept my old 164,000 mile Toyotee pick-up with the original rusted thru patina? fenders? we don' need no stinkeen' fenders
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

I want a big fat tire on mine so I can squish more wooly worms....... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

Maybe it's the biker equivalent of stone-washed jeans. My ma used to buy me jeans at J.C. Penny for about $2.75 a pair. They wore like iron. I used to prize my old ones because the older they got, the better they looked. Then, back in the 80's, some marketing genius thought up the idea of selling new jeans that were already worn out. They stone-washed 'em. They cut slits in 'em, they sanded 'em threadbare, and they sold 'em for $50, $74, $100 a pair, depending on whose label was stitched onto 'em.

So there it is on two wheels. The guy got a bike he spent $5,000 on so it looks like one he bought for 50 cents. I specially like the big balloon tires. Put a hundred pounds of air in 'em. Then go look for a real rough railroad crossing. Hit that crossing about 80 mph. See how far down the road you get before you hit the ground again. Maybe a new form of drag racing?
nudude53

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

I can't wait to start cutting mine up to look like that! But where will I ever find the proper headlight?

Is anybody with me in thinking that 10 or 20 years from now there will be a bunch of guys looking at those things buried in the garage wishing that they had the bike that was pictured on the brochure that year?

Barbara

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

Nudude, you called it. And when they realize that the factory engineers (who are paid way more than the builders are) actually pretty much knew what they were doing, they'll have to pay a *LOT* of money for factory goodies like fenders, light buckets, seats---name it.

There are some nicely modified bikes around, but that thing? It looks like a Junkyard Dog was sick to his stomach......

Oh, and Jimmy.....the answer to your question about riding in the rain?

"No."

I wouldn't take that thing on the road in the sun, let alone the rain......someone I know might see me..... Laughing

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery
penn71911

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

Up to $3k... I'm about to start cutting on mine... whew, I only paid $500 for mine 2 years ago... but then, I had things like mirrors, fenders, and a horn... all those extras bring the price down ya know... Rolling Eyes

Seriously... $3K!!!?? what the h#ll?... apparently all the suckers flock to ebay...

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

It's a kid thing. You old people wouldn't understand.
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

yea thats preaty sad ! i couldve done that in a afternoon totaly drunk Laughing
theres no vision there it's just somone trying to fleece people that have no imagination or mechanical knowlege..u can't buy cool. and ive seen some of that fong bros crap it all belongs in the garbage !
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

Barbara, I guess that's why it's nicknamed 'FleeBay'
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

RED ALERT RED ALERT. OLD PEOPLE ON FORUM COMPLAINING AGAIN.
kyle1911

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

Lots O' hate. Not my kind of build, or bike, in any way shape or form, but after a week of having mine up for sale, you should see the hate emails I get. Even a phone call! "Who do you think you are?" "If that piece of crap is worth 9k, mine must be worth 18k" is the tone of these. Makes me want to violate their first amendment with my second. I hope this guy gets ten grand for his bike. He built it, he's proud, and there are plenty of people out there who have money, a love of bikes, and no mechanical skill at all. Best of luck to this guy. Haters? Well, shut up, and build something better.

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

I'm not hating the build, just amazed at the.... well in my mind... outrageous prices people will pay for things. I think if I ever sell mine it'll definately get listed on ebay...

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

i'm not hating just wondering where some peoples head is ? just another fad . and if U have '' money , a love of bikes and no mechanical skill '' yuk gag me ....... then go by a v rod or somthing leave us the scraps ..... i'm sick and tired of every time i enjoy somthing every tom dick and hairy has to hop on the band wagon and drive prices up way to high ......used to be able to pick up a old jap bike for about nothing now becouse every screwball has decided he's a custom fabricator '' another joke '' these bikes are over priced ...

HAHA I'M NOT OLD I'M ONLY 31 HAHA
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

This thread is hilarious, and is becoming more and more the norm on this site. There is a lot I would like to say but what's the point. I am glad not every body likes that bike. I am not particularly fond of it myself. It has got me seriously thinking of putting mine on ebay. Then I will have the money to finish the second 650 I am now working. Which will be a stock restore. I would not have been able to do the stock restore on it with out the parts left over from my first bike. It will be interesting to see which one I get the most money for. I doubt I will keep either of them. Honestly for the money if I get what this bike is going for I will go out and buy another Suzuki Marauder like my wife's '02. That is a much friendlier bike to ride and you can get them for about the same $$$.
Ride Safe
Georelle

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T

Last edited by georelle on April 30, 2009, 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

Hi Guys,

Y'know, the passing of the years needn't be marked by an increase in intellect, but it usually does lend one the accumulation of experience, and my experience tells me one thing:

Actually, I do "hate" that thing.

Not the builder, mind you, although I think he is fleecing the public, a time-honored tradition. I hate it because people will look at that thing and think it's an example of a nice XS650, and I know better. Out in my own little shop, I have two examples that are nicer than that, and one doesn't even run yet! And some poor soul may actually try to ride it, and limp away wondering how Yamaha ever sold even one of them....

I know, I know---"personal taste"----true enough. But if someone else gets to like that, I reserve the right to hate it.

So, at least this far into the year, that bike gets the coveted "Barb sez POS" Award.

("Prejudiced"? Who, me? Well---yes, as a matter of fact....) Very Happy

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

It needs a jockey shift Laughing
tito650

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before...

lol! yea throw a jockey shift on it ! to frickin funny Laughing
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15