650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > disk brake photos ????

disk brake photos ????
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
jetero41

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 7:35 am    Post subject: disk brake photos ????

Can someone please point me in the right direction for some close up shots of disk brake photos???
Too many shots of nice bikes and too many distractions..... I have too (probably) many ideas for mods and improvements now.
I have the rear wheel and disk, caliper and bracket, and master. Details are needed now.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited by jetero41 on April 21, 2009, 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
jetero41

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: disk brake photos ????

Could even e-mail me............
Got to go work on the truck now. DARN!!!!!
Thanks again
xsleo

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: disk brake photos ????

I posted pics to show how I put a disc brake on my 75. They are in the thread brake mods.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jetero41

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: disk brake photos ????

Thanks xsleo
Your pics were viewed and raised more questions.

-Where does the strut mount on the top rear end, I have assumed ( I hate that word) that it mounts to the top of the caliper bracket to limit movement. Inside the bracket or out?
-Are there bungs on an '83 to mount the caliper bracket? the 2 lower mounting points?
-I would love to see a factory pedal to M/C actuater rod.

Always appreciate someone who accomplishes a goal. Too much time on other forums where people just belly ache because noone makes the parts that they want.
Props!
xsleo

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: disk brake photos ????

I have more pics. If your bike has drum rear brakes I doubt it has the mounts for the disc m/c .
You will need the brake pivot shaft from a disc brake bike. The pedal is the same, but the part that pulls the brake rod on the drum is different than the part that pushes up to the master cylinder. I don't have a pic of the pivot shaft with m/c push rod.
The brake strut hooks into the top front corner of the caliper bracket. My strut is built from some steel I salvaged from work. The drum brake strut is to long.
The caliper bracket goes around the axle, the axle slides thru the large hole in the lower end.
I should have taken more pics as I did this and other mods, but my camera broke and I had the mods done before I replaced the camera.

rear disc brake 010.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  328.4 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)

rear disc brake 010.jpg

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: disk brake photos ????

Here is a photo to use as a guide, the best i have...........Camera is out of action, will post some more detailed ones in a week or so if it isn't to late by then..........................Above the back top nut that holds the foot peg you will see two nuts, 1 at 12 o'clock and 1 at 2 o'clock, these are bolts that go through tubing welded to the frame to carry the rear master cylinder, (can be seen as the piece of alloy above the 12 o'clock bolt.......... To the right of this you can see the rear brake reservoir which is mounted on a bracket welded to the frame. This has a protective cover that wraps around the reservoir.............I have a bare frame with the reservoir bracket on it will post more pics when i get the camera back..........and some of the caliper on and off the bike, If no one else has by then

p1080887_edited.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  591.36 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

p1080887_edited.jpg

Photo Gallery
jetero41

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: disk brake photos ????

Thanks guys!!
Learning more every day.

Any pics of the actuator rod? Have not seen one on E-Bay, Mike's XS or 650 Central. Might be able to fab' 1 if I knew....................
Thanks

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1