650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > High Speed Wobble Fix

High Speed Wobble Fix
    Forum Index -> Frames
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 31, 2006, 10:53 am    Post subject: High Speed Wobble Fix

Years ago when I used to ride Triumph and Bsa they had a great little
addition called a Fork Damper right on the tripple tree. I just took
it for granted and used it and it worked for highway speeds.
y XS650SG doesn't have on but it soon will. Has anyone ever tried
this old idea on their 650. The First Yamaha 650's had them if you look in the OEM catalogue. Looks like this one in the attachement below could be adapted. The picture shows the fiber washer on top but actually it goes in between the metal ones.
I wouldn't think that the newer hydraulic ones would work near as well
as the old friction ones. This one is from England and about 65 bucks with ship. Old Yamaha Mechanic John Underwood
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: High Speed Wobble Fix

I had a bsa with one too, and while messing with it the first couple of days decided to loosen it up, Big mistake went onto a covered bridge and the front wheel shimmyed uncontrolably and the end results were an sliver about 15" long in my right leg do to the fall on the old wooden bridge. yes they do work but adjust them spareingly.
royfisk

PostPosted: September 19, 2006, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: High Speed Wobble Fix

John the early xs-1 &2 had them too. I have 2 of the early yamaha dampers here and one will be used on my 71 resteration project, the other I was hopeing to adapt tp my custom 36mm front-end. Just trying to find a tx-750 lower tripple tree.
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 19, 2006, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: High Speed Wobble Fix

I bought a kawasaki damper but by the time I figured out how it wouldnt fit I decided to tighten down my old ball bearing front bearings. Little weird at low speed but wonderfull on the highway. Once I got used to the low speed thing I don't mind it. If I went to roller bearings I would be right back to high speed terrorism again. Good thing I was to lazy to change out the original bearings. The more you tighten them the better they handle at high speed but the worse they handle at low speed. They have a detent effect because of the groves made by the balls and the years. Keeps the front straight and from wobbling. I found the tightness compromise and will leave it alone for a while. No fun to ride on dirt roads because of the constant correcting.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1