650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Setup Madness? Extreme Settings?Finally Got it Runnng Well ?

Setup Madness? Extreme Settings?Finally Got it Runnng Well ?
    Forum Index -> Fuel
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Setup Madness? Extreme Settings?Finally Got it Runnng Well ?

OK Guys,

I finally have this thing gliding.

I have it running a 78SF motor running 77 Carbs with 1 size over mains.
Running Slightly advanced on 97RON High Octane Fuel. With the Pilots just 3/4's of a single turn out.

The engine is smooth even and runs low down better than ever, although still not perfect I have a feeling that this is due to the Pod filters.

However ..the vibrations much improved..I cant believe the difference..

I used the deal cylinder method, between pilots and carb balance until I finally had the thing nailed down. Ridding round the block and back adjust do it again..and on..till it was as good as its ever been..

I was just wondering what you guys thought of this setup.. 3/4's of a pilot? But it runs so good .....
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 17, 2009, 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Setup Madness? Extreme Settings?Finally Got it Runnng Well ?

OK..

For anyone that read this thread, I tried putting the timing back to how it should be and the motor is now where near as smooth.

I am of the feeling now that I should leave the timing as standard and play more with the carbs. It needs leaner and leaner settings low down to get it to run right, so ..I'll start here first. Perhaps lower the needle..
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: April 17, 2009, 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Setup Madness? Extreme Settings?Finally Got it Runnng We

Set your timing at full advance. Full advance is the only place timing is important so that is where it needs be accurate.

The bike can be reved on the center stand if a sheet of rubber or other soft material is placed under the stand. The rubber keeps it from moving.

I assume you have points? Make sure the points cam advance operates smoothly. Almost all of the old XS engines need the advance rod lubed. The rod needs pulled to lube it.

Tom Graham

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1