650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > cam chain tensioner

cam chain tensioner
    Forum Index -> Engine
chilliwackwestie

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 8:16 pm    Post subject: cam chain tensioner

Hello
I just tore down the top end of the motor and the tensioner has worn through to the backing. Is their a replacement that doesn't include the pivot as well, or am I stuck buying the whole thing ?
I'm guessing I have to split the case to replace it ?
Cheers
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

All one piece.......Would have to pull the top end and cylinders.....best to leave the pistons and rings in the cylinder and just pull the pins....unless it wasn't running good....will save a fresh break in and resulting loss of clearances due to that..........

The tensioners usually last a long long time.....unless the cam chain is set to tight.......then they can wear qukickly........front guides are another thing and the old ones should be replaced....................

The 4 screws that hold the tensioner are most likely held in with loctite red.....a hammer impact and some care should be given as to not strip them.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

If you are replacing the tensioner, you will have to split the camchain to feed it through.
Photo Gallery
chilliwackwestie

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

Thats to bad. Tks for the reply. Ive pulled the pistons out of the sleves. I'm gonna rering, valve lap , cam chain and tensioner as well i guess. Anything else I should do before I knit it up ?
Cheers
Photo Gallery
chilliwackwestie

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

Oh sorry I've got all the gaskets seals washers and such on the way from mikes so other than that stuff anything else I should look for?
Cheers again.
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

Have a good look at the camchain front guide. The plastic(rubber?) commonly separates from the aluminum structure. It might not be obvious, at first glance.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

RG, You found my screwdriver! I've been lookin' for that for ever.OH wait, mine's on the floor.I think theyr'e twin's,maybe from different mother's. Your handle got hot,too?Naw, just a little heavy breathin'. CHEERS, Gordo
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

Yeah gordo, those poor little screwdrivers really get abused. I use them for everything except screws Smile
Photo Gallery
penn71911

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

Well it was bound to happen... Changed my oil today and I've got bits of plastic in the sump... and a really long (4") thin piece I'm guessing is a sliver off the edge of the cam chain guide. This is the first sign of it, how urgent is this do you think? No aluminum shavings to speak of yet...

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

Best to get it out of there before it gets worse......

If you lift the cylinders which I don't....make sure to leave the piston rings in the cylinders by just pulling the pins if it is running good to avoid a new breakin and assoiciated clearance changes........ if it ran good before why not...

Last time I changed my guide I left the cylinders on and then repositioned the guide by starting the engine after assembly and loosening the chain just a bit and then the 2 guide bolts up front and it pretty much self aligned itself.....just pushing the 2 guide bolts back and forth till it felt right and carefully snugging the bolts...seemed to work good...if that guide isn't straight to the chain it will groan and wear rapidly as you could imagine...........bet a lot of them were mis-alligned at the factory causing some to fail early and some to run on for some time without immediate problems........you will find the plastic very brittle and flaky from repeated hot and cold cycles and time...did find that even the new ones get hard after some cycles and time too.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

Is there a way to check some of these parts condition without removing the engine?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain tensioner

THe rear guide seems to last a long long time if someone didn't over tighten the chain.......that can take them out in a few short miles.........the fronts were made from plastic that gets brittle and craps and the glue on the back gets loose too.........best to change the old front one out any time the head is off...and getting the fromt guide in there straight is critical.......and I always smooth the outside of the chain with a block and sandpaper 320 then 400 ....and get the sharp edge off the sides of the chain a bit.....dont forget the master link....measure it......don't want it bumping around......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1