650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > The Black Widow my first bike build

The Black Widow my first bike build
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
blackwidow

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

Sledhooligan wrote:
The forks will need to be modified.The necks are different. Look up the Fongs Bros stuff on 650chopper. One of their builds they talk about modifing it.
Doubt I'd use them then if there not exact fits but since it's a freebie I'll probably go snag it up anyway. Maybe if I can get her running which the guy told me it's a runner my father n law can use it on his farm Very Happy

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

Hey Sledhooligan you are correct the difference is the shaft on the tripple tree is longer on the 650 than the 400. You have to grind off the weld on the bottom of the 650 one knock it out do the same on the 400 and add it on the other one so that might be a possibility for me not sure though. Mine are in good shape just need a rebuild don't know how difficult that is.

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

The hard part is holding the damper rod on the inside while you turn thr allen bolt out the bottom.
Depending on the year the damper rod has a hole that a 17mm nut fits into. I think thats 5/8 " A long piece of ready rod/ allthread, a few nuts locked on each end, drop down inside to fit damper , rattle gun on the 8mm allen screw in the bottom.
Some years the top of damper rod a is a flattened rod. Not sure of the size but a piece of flattened pipe will fit the damper rod. there are pics some where in a thread about it.
Once apart clean, inspect replace whats needed, back together. ride like hell.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

Thanks for the tips on the front end I've been reading into it so I'm trying to do my homework.. Here is a pic of the xs400 I got

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

Yea BW, I know the feeling as far as the Thong Bro's goe's. But I think it was a reference to a thread they posted on that swap.Just look up theyr'e history by clicking on their member site here.
blackwidow

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

gordo wrote:
Yea BW, I know the feeling as far as the Thong Bro's goe's. But I think it was a reference to a thread they posted on that swap.Just look up theyr'e history by clicking on their member site here.
I'm trying to figure out why they did it what was the purpose or advantage of using xs360/xs400 forks

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

blackwidow wrote:
gordo wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why they did it what was the purpose or advantage of using xs360/xs400 forks
anybody??

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

400 front end i think they do it for the look the smaller front end just makes the lines on there bikes flow and look better i dont think its a handleing thing
blackwidow

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

danxs650mass wrote:
400 front end i think they do it for the look the smaller front end just makes the lines on there bikes flow and look better i dont think its a handleing thing
I see so it's narrower or something. Does anybody know if you can run a 100/90/19 tire on those front ends??

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

I am just stacking parts right now to make my build easier when I get ready to redo it

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

I turned the bike over just now with the starter and it sounded real good so hopefully this week I can hook up the new coil I got and start it up so can't wait

PostPosted: June 21, 2009, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

The Saga continues

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

Oh dude, wow, just getting familiar with other projects on the site. I saw that burnt pic, and it about made me sick, I was like "it can't be", but hey you aced it the first time, and you can do it again. I'm glad your hangin' with it. Keep up the hard work, before you know it she'll be new again. Sweet ride man....sweet!
blackwidow

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

ironwill wrote:
Oh dude, wow, just getting familiar with other projects on the site. I saw that burnt pic, and it about made me sick, I was like "it can't be", but hey you aced it the first time, and you can do it again. I'm glad your hangin' with it. Keep up the hard work, before you know it she'll be new again. Sweet ride man....sweet!
Thanks man it's comments like this that keep me motivated to fix it I'll probably keep it as a winter project so I can take my time and polish some stuff on it and make it better than ever

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

I got a different set of carbs and I found that hard to find maxxis wide white wall front tire in a 19" cost me twice what it did originally but they don't make em no more so I can at least ride a matching set of tires until they are both gone then go with something else. So I'm slowly getting there just about done with my home remodeling and then it'll be my time

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

Awesome, brother. glad to hear you found that tire. Keep it going.
mmasac

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

wow, glad to hear your rebuilding it, sure is a shame, it was so beautiful!!! I'm sure you will knock it out of the park again this time around!
blackwidow

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

Well I just won a front rim off of ebay so I'm on my way
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

Widder, did you go with the xs400 front on this one,too? Good work on your part , getting the part's & still keeping MOMMA happy. I am sure we'll see alot of pic's on the rebuild.Keep up the good work,,,,Gordo
blackwidow

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

No I didn't go with the xs400 front I still have it but not gonna run it because the axle shaft is too small to run a 650 wheel and it's too narrow to run a 650 wheel as well. I was able to clean mine up really good and I'm thinking of polishing them. I'm also gonna put new seals and all that. I was gonna run a springer but I have another bike I want to build and a car so don't want to spend too much besides the moral of the build originally was cheap and anyway can do it.. I'll keep the pictures coming just gonna clean out a work room I have to build the bike in.

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

coming back together one piece at a time

PostPosted: November 21, 2009, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

oh thanks god this thing is being rebuilt.
its one of the bikes i adored and inspired me to start my project...
my horrible looming never ending unfinished never ending project.

good luck! good fortune!i cant wait to see it again!
mmasac

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

I am also very glad to see you going back and redoing this project. it is no doubt one of my fav xs650's. Props to you brother!

Black paint, DOESN'T make it BAD ASS!!!

It is NOT a Chopper, Unless you CUT something!!!
blackwidow

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Widow my first bike build

Thanks alot guys I really appreciate your support and I am very excited on the rebuild I'm not doing nothing real fancy just adding a little more detail I guess I'm pushing to have it done by feb 1 or close to it we'll see what happens

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7