650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"
    Forum Index -> Frames
xjwmx

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 10:43 am    Post subject: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

I need to get new shocks because the ones that came with my bike have no damping left (not original shocks).

The shock length right now is about 13" and I like that height, although it's the only height I've tried....

I've been offered a set of gently used Progressive brand Series 12 incl. springs for a little under $100. They are 12" long. For the same price, I can get 13" Monza brand or something shocks from the usual suppliers.

Which of the two should I get? I'm all about handling and comfort over looks.
Photo Gallery
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

What year and model? Here's a shot of my 79 F with 13.5 progressive series 12. Arm is rebushed, head has tapered rollers, new progressive fork springs and Race tech emulators. An entirely different bike to ride! It no longer seems a$$ heavy.
xjwmx

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

Sorry about leaving out the year. It's an '81 Special.
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

xjwmx wrote:
I need to get new shocks because the ones that came with my bike have no damping left (not original shocks).

The shock length right now is about 13" and I like that height, although it's the only height I've tried....

I've been offered a set of gently used Progressive brand Series 12 incl. springs for a little under $100. They are 12" long. For the same price, I can get 13" Monza brand or something shocks from the usual suppliers.

Which of the two should I get? I'm all about handling and comfort over looks.

I need a set of 12" shocks so if you do not get them could you pass them my way? thanks!!!

josh
xjwmx

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

calicruiser, I'll mention it next time I see him. I was over there last week and he had a hard time finding them (it's a busy garage). It might be more of a hassle than it's worth to him.

THe shocks I have are getting strange. They're labeled Showa, and seem to originally have had adjustable damping. But there was no damping at all, I assumed due to their age - just big time springy, like flip you off if you hit a pot hole springly.

I went for a ride this afternoon and when I got back I noticed they were 2" shorter! They went from 13" orignally to 11". After an hour or so they expanded back to 13" That's too wierd, so I will have to get something quick. Probably a pair of used originals that are all over ebay for not much money.
Photo Gallery
gus99

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

Progressives are nice, but I think 12" is a little short, you could try Omar's for his 12.75"(I think) Redwing NOS. $99 for a pair.
xjwmx

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

I looked into those. It's a good option, I think.

I have about 400 mi. on the shocks I mentioned above. They seem to be pumped up now, as if maybe some air bled out or something. Their getting shorter and staying that way for awhile - I figured that had to be due to binding, so I put a washer between the grab bar and the eyelet, like there probably should have been anyway. I'm going to see how they feel for awhile. They might be okay now. They might have fixed themselves....
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

I have the Monza 13"+ shock's on mine, & the difference is like nite & day.No more dragging the exhaust on the twistie's. Also they came with the rubber bush's.If the shock's are not releasing after riding , they are shot & could be dangerous. They could stick in the fully open or closed position & trouble will begin. The washer should be under the nut, then the shock rubber.Check your swing arm for straightness if the shock's are rubbing on the frame or binding.Simple enough, take it off & eyeball the swing arm on a flat surface,( garage floor, kitchen table, ect.)
xjwmx

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

By binding, I mean I think what might have happened is the rubber or eyelet itself got caught in slot in the grab bar. I don't know why else it would sink 2" after hard riding and then come back up after an hour. The shock has to rotate a little bit, doesn't just go up and down. I read the Monza Traditional shock is good, too. The original problem with the old ones on it now was there was no damping at all. Damping seems to be present now, for some reason.
Photo Gallery
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

Omar 13 3/8" Red Wings. Action feels good, but how do you really know in the livingroom?
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

Omar 13 3/8" Red Wings. Action feels good, but how do you really know in the livingroom?
JeffM

PostPosted: April 14, 2009, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

You'll be pleased with the Redwings, I think.

I have put about 3-4,000 miles in the last two years on set of Redwings from Omar's on a different bike. The damping is good, no more pogos! The springs are nice and long, no bottoming out even set at the second from lightest setting and I am 200 lbs. Used to drag stuff in the corners... no more. Longer shocks will quicken the steering up a bit, good thing I figure.

They have a nice beefy look to them, although are thicker at the bottom and may interfere with your chainguard.

I liked them enough to buy another set for the XS. From Omar's again, good guy... omarsdtr.com
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

My old lady would shoot me if I had a bike in the house. Wink

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Progressive 12" shocks vs other brand 13"

No TV, no couch, hey, why not a bike in the living room?
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1