650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > A question for the experienced

A question for the experienced
    Forum Index -> Drive
SnailStoves

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 5:02 am    Post subject: A question for the experienced

Hi guys, I recently redid my clutch, (thanks for all yu advice on that) when i removed the small, oil filter which is housed on the clutch cover panel, i notice a collection of small alli filings. not good i thought. i cleaned them out and put all back together. now 2 weeks later i had another look and they're back.

really not good right?

i'm thinking cam tensioner is gone but what do you think?

thanks in advance. smiffy

nj1639

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

Front cam chain guide?
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

No black chunks? I'd still bet cam chain guide.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
SnailStoves

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

thank folks it's all looking that way. i bumped into a local dude who's been into these bikes since they came out! and he said the same as you. s*** i was hoping to not have to take the engine out so soon after buying this bike. seems i am destined to always be up to my elbows in bike.

thanks, all the best, smiffy

pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

SnailStoves

Well, I had something similar when I got my bike back in '96. I pulled the sump screen, and it had a large hole in it, like they all do. So, I replaced the sump screen and the oil screen. That was 60,000 miles ago.

I also encountered an old guy who was born in the gas tank of an XS650, and he said that was normal, unless you have some other indication that it's the chain guide, like the tell tale plastic bits or a noise. These bits of alluminum are in the sump from the manufacturing process and are normal. What happens is, that the sump screen developes a hole and they suddenly make an apearance in the oil screen.

If you are going to pull the engine and redo it, then you will also be pulling the sump plate. So, I would do that first and look in the sump for the tell tale bits of plastic.

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

pamcopete, when u say sumpscreen d'you mean the oil filter on the underside? praps it's cos i'm scottish...
SnailStoves

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

actually i've just answered my own question here

images.google.com/imgr...G%26um%3D1

the old girl is kinda noisy tho.

but that's a good tip, i'll check the sump for bits, cheers

pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

SnailStoves

That's OK...some of my best friends are Scottish...including my dad (God rest his soul) who came straight from Aberdeen...

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

Hah, i wasn't apologising fer bein scottish...Your da was a 'Eastie' then right, I'm a 'westie' myself, but with friends from all over.

all the best to you

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

The ally filings in my sump last year came from behind the clutch basket , a damper spring had broken , dislodged and was rubbing on the crankcase.. worth a look in that general area first..
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

Shouldn't a fella replace the tensioner AND the guide both at the same time?
SnailStoves

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

makes sense, i'd check both if i go there, and the head gaskets and i'll check the pistons condition. I'll look for the tell-tale black bits in the sump, if so, i can get both and just do them. Iwas surprised to find ya can't get in to the engine without dropping it out. I suppose that's the benefit of being able to adjust your valve clearances from outside. I recently did open heart surgery on a kawasaki four. did it in the frame, but it had shims and even the slightest adjustment on the valves would have meant 40quid.
The rub is, this is my primary transport. I'm one of those bikers who's out in the rain and snow, or else doesn't go out at all. So i gotta pre-empt what to be done and then get it done. That's why i put the question to you guys. I've got a few things to explore first.

thanks, Smiffy

tacoswild

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

I had stuff like that in my oil filter and tore mine down only to find the cam chain guides in pretty good shape. The only place I've found wear so far is on the tabs of the metal clutch plates. Pretty deep scoring there but I don't know if that could explain the metal flakes in the filter or not. I also noticed that in remote corners of the motor where oil doesn't reach much you can get a dark, burnt-on glaze that flakes off and looks a lot like the little black flakes I was seeing in the filter. Live and learn I guess.
SnailStoves

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

tacoswild

so did you replace the clutch plates? that sort it? clean gauze?

this is definately ally,not steel... i spose it could be the new friction plates settling in.

I will 'tear it down' at some point and get aquainted but it'll have to wait till a spare running engine comes along.

cheers for all your experiences

pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

SnailStoves

Well, I hadn't heard those terms before; "Eastie and Westie". My dad didn't make it back from the "Big One", so we never had a chance to talk as I was just a "Wee one" at the time.

I did visit "The Castle" in Edinburgh back in the seventies and saw his name recorded in the books in the great hall of Scottish warriors where all Scots who have given there all are honored.

His name was Alexander Grant McKay.

PostPosted: April 10, 2009, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for the experienced

Mine's still in a hundred pieces so no update on that yet.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1