650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 12:53 am    Post subject: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

This bike took me 2 years to build in my free time. I work at G&L Choppers and Rich (the owner) was kind enough to let me build it at the shop. I call it the "shop rat" because it (and I) have been hangin around the shop for so long. I made mids controls and a right hand shifter (with left hand clutch). Mounted the tank high on the backbone and went with some high biltwell keystone bars. leather grips and seat and turned some pegs out of aluminum. made the electric and battery box. electric box caps are nickel plated along with the shifter, mids and a few other things. I painted and wired the bike (both a first for me) and the pinstriping was done by a local guy, steve havens. I have to thank Rich for his advice and help throughout the build. thanks for checking out my bike.

you can check out a video here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bHIdZCHVOM

josh

d.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.74 KB
 Viewed:  396 Time(s)

d.jpg

a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.65 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

a.jpg

meandbike.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.98 KB
 Viewed:  504 Time(s)

meandbike.jpg

calicruiser

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

couple more pics. . .

c.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.66 KB
 Viewed:  317 Time(s)

c.jpg

g.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.16 KB
 Viewed:  287 Time(s)

g.jpg

f.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.73 KB
 Viewed:  253 Time(s)

f.jpg

Ken99

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

Man, that's a work of art. Congrats!!
Buddy78SX650

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

Man I am really diggin your ride but I think that shifter would really be akward.... I'd probubly fall off just trying to get it in gear LOL.

Nice bike man I really like it.

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

Buddy78SX650 wrote:
Man I am really diggin your ride but I think that shifter would really be akward.... I'd probubly fall off just trying to get it in gear LOL.

give yourself some credit man!!!! a monkey could do it, it's not that hard. try it on your bike. every time you shift, take your hand off the throttle and reach back to your right ass cheek;)
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

Ken99 wrote:
Man, that's a work of art. Congrats!!

thank you!!!

josh
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

Beautiful bike, great workmanship. Definitly a fun ride.
Photo Gallery
Ken99

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

calicruiser wrote:
Buddy78SX650 wrote:

give yourself some credit man!!!! a monkey could do it, it's not that hard. try it on your bike. every time you shift, take your hand off the throttle and reach back to your right ass cheek;)

He's right! I do that every time and I don't even have my shifter there!
Buddy78SX650

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

Ken99 wrote:
calicruiser wrote:
Buddy78SX650 wrote:

He's right! I do that every time and I don't even have my shifter there!

LMAO I'm not even going to ask why Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

Nicely done!!

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

very, very nicely done
bryant

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

that thing sounds good man. what all have you done to the engine?
looks great too by the way.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

Luvverlyjubbly !
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

That's definitely the prettiest XS650 hardtail chop I've ever seen. I'm not bein' critical but just curious when I throw in a few questions:

1) Did you mount the hand shifter on the right with the hand clutch on the left -- instead of the hand shift AND a suicide clutch on the left -- just to be contrarian?
2) And, again being contrarian, did you paint it green to twist the tail of the old outlaw tradition that NOBODY rides a green motorcycle?
3) Which is all just to ask: Are question No. 1 and question No. 2 both expressions of the same impulse?

I only ask b'cos I'm with Buddy78 when I say I'd have to have a foot clutch and the shifter both on the left side.

Even so, it's still the prettiest job I've ever seen. It's a real slick putter, dude. Where do you put all the women?
VoodooXS

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

awesome bike. love the right hand shifter
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

Glad to know I'm not the only one with the RIGHT-HAND jockey shift...

LOVE IT!!!
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

bryant wrote:
that thing sounds good man. what all have you done to the engine?
looks great too by the way.

i painted and polished the motor. aftermarket headers from mikesxs and aftermarket mikuni carbs. new plugs/plugs wires, new coils, condensor and solid state regulator/rectifier. nothing major done to the motor and it runs STRONG!
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

jimmythetrucker wrote:
That's definitely the prettiest XS650 hardtail chop I've ever seen. I'm not bein' critical but just curious when I throw in a few questions:

1) Did you mount the hand shifter on the right with the hand clutch on the left -- instead of the hand shift AND a suicide clutch on the left -- just to be contrarian?
2) And, again being contrarian, did you paint it green to twist the tail of the old outlaw tradition that NOBODY rides a green motorcycle?
3) Which is all just to ask: Are question No. 1 and question No. 2 both expressions of the same impulse?

I only ask b'cos I'm with Buddy78 when I say I'd have to have a foot clutch and the shifter both on the left side.

Even so, it's still the prettiest job I've ever seen. It's a real slick putter, dude. Where do you put all the women?

first, thanks for the comps. i appreciate that! To answer your questions, I am not running a front brake so I need a foot on the brake when stopped on a hill so I chose not to run a foot clutch/hand shift with only a rear brake. (both feet can't be off the gound at the same time when stopped:)

I dont believe in superstition about the green paint and the limegold was my first choice and then it changed and I kept comin back to it so in the end it is that bad luck green!

women can go on the handlebars or the tank!

in the end I chose to build the bike the way I did to try to be at least a little different from the crowd.

later
josh
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

yamaha_dave wrote:
Glad to know I'm not the only one with the RIGHT-HAND jockey shift...

LOVE IT!!!

yeah man, I dig it. it gets tedious sometimes but it's cool as hell so who cares!!! I only have about 4 hours of riding this way and so far so good. getting quicker by the day! I dig your scoot man! nicely done.

josh
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

calicruiser wrote:
yeah man, I dig it. it gets tedious sometimes but it's cool as hell so who cares!!! I only have about 4 hours of riding this way and so far so good. getting quicker by the day! I dig your scoot man! nicely done.

josh

I just couldn't picture coming to an emergency stop with my left hand OFF the bars. I figured the right hand shift was a good compromise. And yes... It's cool as hell! Smile

By the way... I LOVE the chartreuse green and the pin stripes! When my brother was chopping everything from Schwinns to Harleys back in 72, he would have bought it on the spot. You nailed it with the styling! Too pretty to be called a "rat" though... Wink And that SPRINGER front end ROCKS!
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

yamaha_dave wrote:
calicruiser wrote:

josh

I just couldn't picture coming to an emergency stop with my left hand OFF the bars. I figured the right hand shift was a good compromise. And yes... It's cool as hell! Smile

By the way... I LOVE the chartreuse green and the pin stripes! When my brother was chopping everything from Schwinns to Harleys back in 72, he would have bought it on the spot. You nailed it with the styling! Too pretty to be called a "rat" though... Wink And that SPRINGER front end ROCKS!

thanks man I appreciate that! The shop rat thing has more to do with how long it hung around the shop than the style of bike. I am a shop rat myself so I thought the nickname fit. thanks again dude.

josh
blackwidow

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Shop Rat" 1978 XS650

calicruiser wrote:
This bike took me 2 years to build in my free time. I work at G&L Choppers and Rich (the owner) was kind enough to let me build it at the shop. I call it the "shop rat" because it (and I) have been hangin around the shop for so long. I made mids controls and a right hand shifter (with left hand clutch). Mounted the tank high on the backbone and went with some high biltwell keystone bars. leather grips and seat and turned some pegs out of aluminum. made the electric and battery box. electric box caps are nickel plated along with the shifter, mids and a few other things. I painted and wired the bike (both a first for me) and the pinstriping was done by a local guy, steve havens. I have to thank Rich for his advice and help throughout the build. thanks for checking out my bike.

you can check out a video here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bHIdZCHVOM

josh

Is this bike on xs650chopper.com?? Mine is on their I think I seen this one looks real good here is a pic of mine

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1