650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Everyone Be Carefull

Everyone Be Carefull
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
blue900

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Everyone Be Carefull

Finely some nice weather Today not real warm high 40s but decent beautiful day!.
y neighbors went by on their Harley's His and hers, both red they got them last year and rode as often as they could, she even rode hers to work most days last summer. I waved as they went by.
He Died today, 53 , a car turned in front of both of them. It was in town 35MPH speed limit. Neither where wearing Helmets today.
It makes me very sick and sad.

Everyone Take is easy and stay on your toes!
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

It is sad.... Especially since a HELMET would have maybe saved his life. now thats even sadder.
Barbara

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

Thanks for sharing, Blue. We are all one stupid cage driver away from Eternity---helmet or not. I'm really sorry to hear that your neighbor was a victim of another driver's mistake, and you are absolutely right: "Take it easy and be on your toes!"

I hope his wife will be OK, and live to ride again.

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

Barbara wrote:
I'm really sorry to hear that your neighbor was a victim of another driver's mistake, and you are absolutely right: "Take it easy and be on your toes!"

That was not a mistake. That was careless stupidity. As for the helmet, from personal experience, your head is the first thing to hit the pavement, and it bounces, so you get smacked hard about 3 or 4 times, so without a helmet, you will either be a vegetable or dead.

blue900, sorry to hear about your neighbors. That's pretty close to home.

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

My personal, all-time favorite punchline: "Honest, Officer! I didn't see the moder sickle!"

Too bad about the casualties. Coulda been you. Coulda been me. It happens several times, every day of the year.
blue900

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

The wife is ok, mostly broken ribs ouch! came home today.
A warning to us all do our best not to get distracted. But sadly even that doesn't always help. All it takes is for us to mess up or someone else and we are gone.

Xumi

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

RIP to the fallen brother, and peace to his wife.

I'll keep my passenger pegs down for him on my next ride.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

In my 40+ years of riding I have noticed that springtime is especially dangerous to motorcyclists here where it snows almost 6 months out of the year.. It seems motorists have all but forgotten about motorcycles over the long winter until one is implanted in the side of their vehicle...Its like the first snow of winter. People are still driving like its sunny and 70 degrees till they hit that patch of ice..............BG

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

Today with every jackass text messaging and holding their starbucks its very dangerous. I'll ride hard to stay away from the evil 4 wheeling, grocery getting, text messaging,whopper eating,latte drinking fools that dont pay attention to anything but themselves, the American way.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

no to mention the little extras like the sand in the corners and the wheel eating potholes, you really have to keep your head focused on what's going on around you
Dunbar

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

BigGeorge wrote:
In my 40+ years of riding I have noticed that springtime is especially dangerous to motorcyclists here where it snows almost 6 months out of the year.. It seems motorists have all but forgotten about motorcycles over the long winter until one is implanted in the side of their vehicle...Its like the first snow of winter. People are still driving like its sunny and 70 degrees till they hit that patch of ice..............BG

i've noticed the very same thing here in North Dakota...they're so used to NOT seeing them, they're too busy trying to keep their car from sliding off the road. takes 'em a bit to get out of that frame of mind.

jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

I always pretend I'm invisible, and I act accordingly.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

People only see what they expect to see. That's why a white helmet is effective. It's not that white is necesaraly more visible, but people are on the lookout for a motorcyle policeman.

That was the first thing I did after they scrapped me off the pavement...went and bought a white helmet to replace my black one. The lady cell phone talker in the giant SUV payed for it....

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

I ride expecting everyone around me to do the worst possable thing. Also in cold country they arent used to looking for motorcycles yet. Theres also the problem of cinders at every intersection , like stopping & turning on ball bearings. I limit April to just test runs until they sweep all the streets. The cell phone and worse texting is getting out of hand, thnaks for the reminder
wesleyonoel

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

Gents
I adopted the philosophy of jimmy many years ago - after crashing head-on with a '63 Impala with my H.D. ....... Both car and motorcycle were totaled. I was broken in many places and left some parts in the surgical parlor but was repaired back to "normal" function. I am ambulatory and able to work with no problem. I am very fortunate to be alive according to witnesses. Helmet? Nope! Personal choice - the way I still ride. Can't argue with the safety aspect of either a helmet or seat belt - just don't particularly care to be regimented........ Neither advocate for or against safety apparatus. Allow me the courtesy of managing my risks...........that's all. In the mean time, you can't see me and I know it!........................Wes
xjwmx

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

pamcopete wrote:
That's why a white helmet is effective. It's not that white is necesaraly more visible, but people are on the lookout for a motorcyle policeman.

There aren't many motorcycle policemen around here, and I can't remember what color helmets they wear. But I chose a white helmet because once in very heavy 55 mph traffic I noticed at random a white helmet way ahead through all that, when it was only about the apparent size of a pinhead. Red, black, etc., I suspect would have just blended in somehow.

Remember to try stay on your toes and in control of the changing situation at all times. Find your potential danger at all times. Also, before you start riding for the season, consider a little parking lot practice to shake things out. Do some quick stops, and make sure you aren't making rusty wide turns and so on.

Best wishes to the friends and family of the victims. We're all sorry.
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

Hi Guys,

No matter what, it really is dangerous out there--Jimmy's right: we are indeed invisible. I asked a motorcycle officer not long ago if there was a secret that enabled everyone for three miles around to see him on his cop-bike, and he grinned and said that no, it was just people not wanting a ticket. When he is off-duty and riding his own bike, he is invisible, just like we are.

y sidecar helps, because people think it's cute and look at it. Additionally, I have extra lights and that helps, but on the down side, I am much less agile in traffic, and therefore vulnerable.

I hate rain, I hate cars, and I don't much care for the dark of night, either!

(But it won't stop me riding!)

Be Safe!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

A study as done on car drivers who have had an accident with a motorcycle.......In every case the driver of the car said they never saw the bike rider..........The conclusion that they come to was. In general as the majority of car drivers have not ridden a motorcycle, then while they are driving on the road they are looking out for other cars and not motorbikes and because the brain is wired to look for cars and not bikes then the drivers do/will not see you on the bike.
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

650skull wrote:
...car drivers who have had an accident with a motorcycle.......In every case the driver of the car said they never saw the bike rider..........The conclusion that they come to was... never ridden a bike....the brain is wired to look for cars and not bikes.

Plenty of people who've never ridden a bike see me. In addition they see dogs, cats, and UFOs. They've never ridden any of those either Idea

David Hough explains the belief that the drivers don't see the motorcycle by asking what would you expect the driver to say to the cop who shows up at the scene? Officer, I wasn't paying attention? These same people would have hit a car under the same circumstances for the most part, I believe.

Now, they did another informal study where they compared bike accident rates in different traffic density, in other words the number of cars present during the ride. The accident rates were similar, which might indicate the rider has a lot to do with whether he has an accident or not, rather than the cars.
Photo Gallery
wesleyonoel

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

In my situation, the driver of the vehicle said he saw me coming and thought he had plenty of time to make the turn in front of me anyway. Didn't work that way...............Wes
xjwmx

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

I've encountered drivers who seem to sort of consider me a bicycle, like he can do anything and I can do anything to get out of the way.

Just actively use your head - think of it as skiing but with moving trees all around Smile
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

I've seen an awful lot of teen-aged sport-bikers in heavy traffic. Bermuda shorts and T-shirts, the girlfriend on the back in shorts and a halter top, probably barefoot, four or five of 'em all bunched together, tailgating cars and raising hell in 4-lane, two-way, 50 mph traffic.

I sometimes try to imagine what the girlfriend will look like after Johnny lays it down at 50 mph in heavy traffic with her pretty legs underneat the thing and no clothing above the waist except her bikini bra. I was pretty crazy when I was a kid, but I took better care of my women than Johnny does.
oldbikenut

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

650skull wrote:
A study as done on car drivers who have had an accident with a motorcycle.......In every case the driver of the car said they never saw the bike rider..........The conclusion that they come to was. In general as the majority of car drivers have not ridden a motorcycle, then while they are driving on the road they are looking out for other cars and not motorbikes and because the brain is wired to look for cars and not bikes then the drivers do/will not see you on the bike.

I second this! Most automobile drivers look for other autos as motorcycles make up a very small percentage compared to autos. I personally(probably most of us)look for motorcycles because it's a big part of my life and it is always great to see other motorcycles out on the road!

A friend told me a long time ago when I first started riding on the streets, he said RIDE LIKE EVERYONES TRYING TO KILL YOU! and this was well before cell phones and texting. So things are only more dangerous for us!
penn71911

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone Be Carefull

I've had numerous close calls as well... one of my favorite ones... I'm in the left lane of the expressway, doing 70 in a 65 on my xs... Had a woman come from behind and squeeze past me in MY lane... so close I could have kicked the car... probably should have.

Just last week, 2 blocks from my work, I had a car pull out of a gas station right across my path. I had to swerve into the oncomming lanes to avoid it. I wonder if the guy even knows what could have happened or how close we came to having both our lives altered forever? Probably not.

You are right Jimmy, we are invisible, no matter how many lights, bright colors, reflectors.. or whatnot. I am invisible, and I ride that way.

Sad thing is, we can do everything right and still get creamed... wear your gear guys (and Barb!), you never know.

I am sorry to hear about your neighbor blue900, thank you for sharing.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2