650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Unique motorcycle built from spare parts
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
retired

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 9:06 am    Post subject: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

I just ran across the XS650 forum the other day and from it I found this forum. ...

I'm thinking of selling it this summer and wanted to let everyone see it while I still have it.
So here are a bunch of photos and the story of it being built.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have owned several motorcycles when I was younger and had 3-with a side car attached. I haven't had a bike since I sold my last one in 1981.
Going into last winter I didn't have anything lined up to work on. So I started digging thru all the junk stored up in the barn that was left over from past projects.

I use to have a 1956 BSA that got hit in the rear and I still had the frame and title.

Other BSA parts in the barn included: gas tank, 2-tool boxes, 18-inch rear wheel and a pair of mufflers.
Also a girder front forks, brake pedal and rear luggage rack for a 40's military bike.
There was also part of a 1949 Simplex Servi-cycle frame.

y son gave me a 1976 Yamaha XS650 frame, engine and rear wheel that he picked up from some where.

...... So with this pile of parts, I started building a bike.

I have always liked the looks of the old bikes from the 40's and 50's, so that is what I wanted to make mine look like.

I used the steering neck from the BSA and the engine cradle from the Yamaha to build the frame. The hard tail is made with steel tube and
the axle ends off the Yamaha swing arm.

I laced the 18 BSA rear wheel to the Yamaha rear hub. I machined the "Yamaha" name off the engine side case and machined both side cases
to accept a round BSA emblem.

Bought a 21-inch Suzuki front wheel, speedometer & speedometer cable off ebay. Also got the front & rear fenders, handle bars, seat,
head lite & tail lite bracket and foot boards off ebay.

Frame welded up with BSA neck and Yamaha engine cradle using home made welding jig.

21 inch front wheel and 18 inch rear wheel. Tool box on this side holds the battery and voltage regulator. This view shows the 3 Hime joints to attach the sidecar frame.

Rear fender is off a 50's BMW. Tool box on this side is for tools. Foot boards are remanufactured units for a 20's Excalibur. Leg guard is off a Servi-Cycle.

I wanted to make an air cleaner that fit with the "old" looks of the bike rather than just put two paper cleaners on the carbs.
The air cleaner housing is made out of 2 inch diameter copper plumbing fittings. The filter is for a 2-barrel carb.

The openings fit onto the carbs with the stock Yamaha rubber sleeves. The air cleaner is then held in place with a steel strap bolted to the rear frame tube.

This is the air cleaner housing painted.

Sidecar frame is made out of pieces from an old lift truck roll cage. The sidecar step is an old horse drawn buggy step.
Bought an 18 inch Honda rear wheel to use as the sidecar wheel and a Harley rear fender to use as the sidecar fender.

The brake on the sidecar wheel works with the rear brake on the bike.
Or it can be applied by itself to assist in making right hand turns.

I used a fiberglass nose off a go cart to build a side car to go on this bike. The bottom, sides and back are made out of wood.
The whole thing is covered inside and out with fiberglass. There is a storage area behind the seat.

Painted sidecar body with windshield attached.

Painting the "tins".

Bike and sidecar frame painted.
Springs for the sidecar body are off a 70's MGB car.

The finished project.

I'm using the 56 BSA title because the numbers match the numbers on the neck. I also have the same numbers stamped
into the engine case.

Ray

Last edited by retired on April 4, 2009, 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Brilliant work Retired, stunning result!
Welcome to the board.

mdrathank

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

that is very cool!
sorry about the no riding.
Hank
Mikesxs

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Another outstanding example of the versatility of the XS. I like it !
Cafe racer, Chopper, Road racer, Flat Tracker, Street Tracker MX'r .....
these bikes work in any format.
Unless you need the money you should keep it as a conversation piece ( a shot around the block or to the drive-in or bike meet should be ok now & then ( keep on movin ! ).

Nice Job Mike @ Mikes XS
easytravel

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Hey Retired, my cervical (neck) vertibrea and my lumbar, sacrum (lower back) vertibrea and discs are in very bad shape. Is this your condition? The neurosurgeon told me not to ride but I've set up a Nomad 1600 that is more comfy than my easychair and ride the xs650 on occassion. With an elastic belt ( any orthotic/prosthetic lab, not pharmacy)I get relief when the problem flares up. The Dr. told me my back is that of an 80 yr. old due to an accident, well I didn't have an accident not that I can remember anyways ( the 70's were a blast!!). I can't arch anymore so I've let my skydiving license expire but I find the big soft cruisers very comfortable and with a few mods they get out of their own way in a hurry. Wishing you more miles and love the b.s.a. x.s. hybrid sidehack rig.
I like walks on the beach and....oh $%#...wrong site!! Uhh yeah so...thought I would get more involved with my 650, see it at mark58mark on youtube, you know..actually getting dirty once in a while, the things that made us love bikes in the first place..
ghostyder

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

im pretty sure the the retired gentleman is fine. someone else built the bike, it showed up in another forum. definately a cool bike.

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

that is very cool!
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Fascinating project and result......thanks for sharing. Inspirational, Blue

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Thing of beauty.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Boy oh boy, that is a beautifull machine!! Nice work, & you definately got talent.It is really too bad about the Dr. saying no more. I would be very proud of that bike, probably never letting her go!
retired

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

ghostyder wrote:
im pretty sure the the retired gentleman is fine. someone else built the bike, it showed up in another forum. definately a cool bike

Someone else did not build this. It is my bike and I built it !

I posted it on some Yahoo forms last winter while I was building the bike.
y main interest is antique crawlers so I also posted it on some Antique Tractor forums at the same time.
The heading for those post was "Stuck in the 50's".

Ray

Last edited by retired on April 4, 2009, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
penn71911

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

I'm sure he didn't mean it like that, That you didn't build it, I think it was a case of mistaken identity... we have a very active member RetiredGentleman... Just confusion I think... It is an absolutely breathtaking machine.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

retired Ray I posted a link to your post on 650forum on this site yesterday.
It is in the "i just saying.. you know" forum. This and the fact Retiredgentleman has been a poster here for over year may have been part of the confusion. Didn't realize you had found this site and your bike is so cool I wanted others to see your excellent work.

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Ahhh ... OK ... I think I understand ??

Sorry .. as my handle is "retired", you can understand why I thought the poster meant me when he stated the "the retired gentleman" didn't build the bike.

I apologize for the screw-up.

Ray
Ken99

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Incredible. Thanks for sharing.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Very creative stuff indeed. Again kudo's. My son and I are about to start the coupling of a 74' Jupiter hack he's been restoring with my 76' BMW R90/6 and have been wrestling a bit with different concepts for the brake linkages. Hack is cable and drum much like yours and bike has a mechanical rear as well.

I like your set up for a variety of reasons. Do you have any pics with additional details of your brake controls and linkage on the hack?

Thanks and welcome to the forum. The XS 650 fits in very nicely with the 50's look you executed so handily. Best, Blue

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Great creation. I wish I was such a skilled craftsman.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
retired

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

bluebikerblan wrote:
My son and I are about to start the coupling of a 74' Jupiter hack he's been restoring with my 76' BMW R90/6 and have been wrestling a bit with different concepts for the brake linkages. Hack is cable and drum much like yours and bike has a mechanical rear as well.

I like your set up for a variety of reasons. Do you have any pics with additional details of your brake controls and linkage on the hack?
Best, Blue

I don't have any other photos that show it any better than what is already shown.

The brake on the hack is self contained with the pedal built right on to the sidecar frame. It has it's own linkage with adjustment and return spring.

This "sidecar" pedal just slips under the bike's brake pedal when the sidecar is attached to the bike.

I have used this brake system on other sidecars that I have built and it works really well.

Ray
georelle

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Nice work. I love the front girder springer. Very Cool.
Do you have another project planed?

Georelle

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
grant

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

I've dreamt of building a bike like that for years. You actually did it! Truly one of the nicest builds I've ever seen "anywhere". Kudos to your skills and your machine. Absolutly stunning!
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Retired what is your background? What was your profession before you became "retired" ? You've a list of skills in your repertoire that are quite impressive. Lastly do you live close to me as I have some things that need doing..... Smile just kidding.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Blacktooth_Grin

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

The bike is interesting, but isn't stamping the BSA VIN onto the XS cases somewhat of a crime?
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

pumps may be kidding, but I'm not, if you're close to SW MO I'd like to come visit, see the bike and pick your brain. Name the refreshment of your choice to lubricate the vocal chords and I'll bring the steaks for supper.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique motorcycle built from spare parts

Well I'm mostly kidding....

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2