650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > off ot the mechanic????

off ot the mechanic????
    Forum Index -> Engine
bkmarsha

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 2:44 pm    Post subject: off ot the mechanic????

I am having problems with my bike.

Last fall it was running well with minor problems.

Now it has no power while in gear over about 3200 rpm. It wants to idle high. And i feel it might be running rich but not sure.

I am fairly inexperiecned especially with work on carborators, and i hate bothering everybody with every question that i have.

Wondering if there is anybody in the west lafayette area that might be willing to spend some time with me and my bike or if anybody has an experienced shop they may recomend.

I hate to take my bike to a shop to have work done that i think i can problly do myself. But i am arfraid that i will invest to much time and make no real progress.

Pamco Electronic Ignition
Green Monster Coil
Photo Gallery
Buddy78SX650

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

Sounds like it is running lean you should check for air leaks around the intake and carbs, spray a little carb cleaner around until the idle changes then you will find the possible leak.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic

Mate, just about every thing possible to know about these carbs has been written on this site. Type carbs in the google bar, you don't have to be a genius.
If it gets to hard and you feel you've stuffed up, I'm sure your pleas for help wont go unanswered.
Bet you $100 no matter what question you come up with, it wont be the dumbest one asked here before (or answered)!

If it's racing a bit at idle, it could be a lean condition. That can happen if the carbs aren't sitting in the manifolds (unifolds?) properly, and it is sucking in air through the gaps. You could spray carb cleaner around the manifolds - no change - nothing wrong there. Revs change - that could be your problem, easy fixed!

Cheers

gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

Sound's like the diaphram's mite have a hole in them. First thing I would do is remove the carb's & see if there dirty. These carb's tend to clog up easily,from storage or just sitting.The passage's are tiny so any gunk at all will cause problem's.XS 650 Garage has thread's on just about all the carb's used on these bike's, stock & performance.Carburetor cleaning & rebuilding is a pretty straight forward operation, just read & re-read the thread's until you have a little bit of understanding of them .Good luck!
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

Here's a link, good info on carbs.

xs650temp.proboards.co...read=10538

ake sure those pod filters are not blocking the small air intake holes for the main and pilot jets. (small holes at the edge of the large inlet to the carbs)
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

If you are feeling inexperienced, carbs are a good place to start to gain confidence. As those above said, lots of good advice here, as well as the carb guide over at 650 garage. Just do one carb at a time so you have the other to compare to, and work in a clear space where you won't lose any little pieces. Sometimes progress must be measured in small degrees so don't get discouraged!

If it was running in the fall, you're not far off, something has gummed up or a bit of grunge has settled into a passage. Before you pull the carbs you may want to check that the petcocks are flowing well. I had a similar condition, would not rev over 3000, when I bought my bike and the slides were stuck, pull the air filters and see if the slides rise when you rev up the bike. I noticed you have Emgo pods, I have read on here somewhere that they can block a vacuum passage and prevent the slides from rising.
BigGeorge

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

If you have a couple of those black plastic shallow microwave trays that Stouffers frozen mack and cheese comes in, they do an excellent job of keeping your little carb parts off the floor. Get one for each carb, that way you can keep the parts with their respective bodies...........BG
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

A big Thank You to RG,I don't know how to do that,get one post from somewhere else & post it at another site. Thanx again. Gordo
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

gordo;
Its simple, just go to the site, right click to highlight the address, click on "copy". Go to the site you want to put this link into, right click and then "paste".
Photo Gallery
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

... kinda off topic ...

easier ... applies to anything ... copy and paste ...

*hilight whatever you want with the mouse ... hit <Ctrl C> ...
*click where you want it
*hit <Ctrl V>

<Ctrl C> means ... on the keyboard, hold the Control key and press the c key once.
<Ctrl V> means ... on the key board, hold the Control key and press the v ley once.

I'm sure most know this ... but the odd few don't ... most useful simple shortcut ever!
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 1, 2009, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

ASCII code

<Ctrl C> means ... copy
<Ctrl V> means ... paste
<Ctrl X> means ... delete
<Ctrl P> means ... print
<Ctrl F> means ... find ....
useful for looking for a certain word in a list, there are several other combinations

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 2, 2009, 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

Hell..I didnt..and I even built my last 2 PC's.. Embarassed
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
bkmarsha

PostPosted: April 2, 2009, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: off ot the mechanic????

so i decided to dive in and try to clean the carbs as a start.

while i was taking them off i lost one of the set screws for the choke, it fell down inside the cover on the lefts side

can not find it to save my life... searched the entire area where the bike was sitting and probed with a magnetic pick up to see if i could get it out

no luck

does anybody know what size that screw is

thanks everone for your support and encouragement

Pamco Electronic Ignition
Green Monster Coil
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1