650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass
    Forum Index -> Engine
Skip

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

Just want to throw this out.When putting my engine back together, general opinion seem to be to use the copper/brass washers on the outside head bolts to replace the rubber/metal washers.Should one replace the other 4 bolts with the copper/brass as well or go with the metal ones which came off?
Please check out my wifes web site!
www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

I've just bolted my top-end together. Copper on the outer studs because they are exposed to oil from the rocker arms. Just use the metal washers for the inner studs.............no oil exposure on the inner ones.
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

Thanks RG. Bet you can't wait to fire the ol girl up eh! It's been a long winter!
www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

If mine was down that long I would forget how to ride it....... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

For sure Skip, it has been a long winter...............need to get my engine running again.

I made quite a few changes.............new rings, valve seals, camchain, front guide, front and rear sprockets, drive chain, Pamco ignition, rectifier, solid state regulator.............probably some more I'm forgetting.

So, how is your re-build going? Sounds like you're getting things back together.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

Don't for get the alignment dowels......did that once.....the last 2 things ratteling around in the cardboard box.......the kid says what's this dad..... Shocked

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

My rebuild is still in the slow stage of order and wait for parts.(hence knowing how many copper washers to order). Mine will be alittle more $$ and labour intensive as yours was RG.
A good friend of mine is a lifelong motorcycle mechanic and has been around the block in Jap and Harley bikes.He insisted I hand him the jug and pistons and he would do some measureing for wear.But what I saw was the scoring and wear on the skirts and my mind was already made up.
The cylinders were clean but were beyond his recomondation of a hone and new stock pistions.So it a 1st oversize bore and pistons for me.
I am going to send the head to an engine shop here in Halifax.For $60.00 they will dissasemble and spec everything.and do the seats.I feel thats a bargin!(paying close attention to the surfaces for trueness where I beleive my trouble originated around the cam chain tunnel). the same shop does the bore and will bead blast all the parts as well.
The cam is real clean with minimal wear as well as the rockers.(although I would love to buy a set of the elephant feet rockers but can't quite justify it!).
y biggest obstical is time.I work 6 day a week, working all overtime I can get my hands on and my little girl is 6 years old and demanding of her Daddys time.But I would not trade my life for anything!Soon her legs will be long enough to hit the footpegs and ride with her Old Man!
RG, I am curious on how you will like the Pamco Ignition.Did you go 17/34 on the sprockets?
And yes John,I lay awake worrying about those dowel pins.I think anyone who has worked on any thing mechanical has a funny "oh yeah" left over part or parts story.(and if the don't they are a liar!)

www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

Skip;
Just put the engine in the frame on saturday. This week I will be installing the Pamco ignition, so first fire in the engine is not far away.

I'm going with 17/33 sprockets, down from 17/36. I want to try out that gearing this summer. ( sorry xsjohn, no 18/30 this year)
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

RG....I made the same switch last year on my SE ie to 17/33 and was quite happy. XSjohn of course disagreed and recommended 18/30 and liposuction. I'm about ready for the PAMCO install myself though waiting for the garage to warm up a bit. Yet another blast of winter for us both I think. Enough already! Blue
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

For sure blue, I hear you on the enough winter thing. I have a 240 volt electrical heater which warms my garage, but try not to use it to much or could run up the electrical bill.

Yeah, I can't go the liposuction route either, but will give the 33 rear a trial.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

Are the rear spockets, stock 36t outside the US? I have a 17, 30 I am 200 pds and thinking of trying 18,30.
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

17/34 here in Aus
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

Apparently 17/36 was stock here in Canada. They must have thought we were a bunch of hillbillies, or needed the low gearing to push through 10 months of snow!
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 9:29 pm    Post subject:

17/34 US ......17/33 Europe
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

I have read that the gearing was a close ratio setup because Yamaha was used to building two strokes, same reason the first year XS's had roller needle bearings in the piston pins, it is possible to overgear however, a bonneville racer is capable of high speed but the trade off is the time it takes to get there and the amount of horsepower needed to maintain it at speed,
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing head bolt washers with copper/brass

RG, I'm running 17/31, & plenty of pull,no loss of power up the steep hills here. Also using a 102 link chain from Mike's,brought my adjuster's up to the second notch . 4500 @ 65 M.P.H.-not bad at all.PS. I weigh 195#

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1