650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Not so new but never properly introduced

Not so new but never properly introduced
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
ayrhen

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Not so new but never properly introduced

I've been a forum member since 2006, but I've never properly introduced myself. I live near Des Moines, Iowa.

About 7 years ago I bought two XS650 project bikes, a '75 and a '71. They sat in my garage for a few years and I finally decided I wanted to liquidate them. I found this site in my quest for information and have stuck around since. I tore down the '75 and have been slowly parting it out, giving away parts here and there and selling a few that are worth any money. I've decided to keep the '71 around, but have been on a quest to pick up missing parts and pieces for it when I find them. It sits in a state of disrepair in the corner of my garage. Last fall I bought a running XS2 as a companion bike for the '71. Over the winter I've been fixing switches on the '72 and now I'm lining the gas tank. Next I want to get her painted. I haven't even ridden it yet (aside from the test ride). I'm anxious to get it on the road this spring.

So this is my introduction to the community, but I'm also posting a question. The '72 I purchased came with fiberglass saddlebags and fairing. Were these aftermarket accessories or could you choose them as an option from the dealer? The paint scheme matches the bike which is the only thing making me believe they came from the dealer. I like the idea of keeping the saddlebags, but I don't see myself using the fairing and it's a pain in the aXX to store it in my garage (takes up more space than you'd think). Is this fairing worth holding onto or should I try to ebay it? I never see these bikes with big fairings on them. Advice on what to do with this fairing? Keep it and ride with it..keep it and store it....sell it...

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so new but never properly introduced

at the time both wixsom and vetter were making parts to fit all the japenese bikes so it's quasi-factory, yours looks like a Wixsom (never see these bikes with big fairings) Hey! I resemble that remark! if your going with the same paint scheme it might be worth keeping they do a real good job of keeping the wind and rain off but if your not into the touring look it might not be for you
gggGary

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so new but never properly introduced

Well it's certainly interesting looking........
Not really what the XS650 is "about".
But if it floats your boat.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1