650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > regulator/recitfier help

regulator/recitfier help
    Forum Index -> Electrical
stomper11

PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 7:55 am    Post subject: regulator/recitfier help

Hi guys can someone help with the wiring on a79 model i have 1black 1 green 3 white from the rotor and the regulator/recitfier has 3 white 1 black 1red 1 green 1 brown i am doin a chop project with kicker only would this be ok 3 whites to 3 white black from rotor to earth red to battery green to the rotor green brown to a swicthed 12v supply thanks in advance stomper
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: regulator/recitfier help

stomper11

Check out this thread for the wiring:

www.650rider.com/index...2436#52436

Is your reg / rect from a later model or is it an aftermarket for your model?

The difference is that reg / rectifiers from later models ('80 to '83) need to have one of the rotor brushes connected to battery. Your '79 has one brush conncted to ground. You can fix this by removing the three screws that hold the grounded brush and replacing the screws with nylon screws (not plastic). This will isolate the brush from ground. Then, run a wire from that brush to the ignition switch brown wire.

PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator/recitfier help

thanks for reply pamcopete to be honest i dont know it was on the bike when i got it but the wiring was striped out and it was a non runner is there a safe way to check if it was for my year would my wiring set up be ok thanks stomper
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator/recitfier help

Your wiring description sounds OK for your bike. If the brushes are not correct, it will not hurt anything to try it, it just won't work if the brush has to be changed to battery instead of ground.

Is there a part number on the reg / rect? If so, you can check in the Yamaha site to see what model it is for.

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator/recitfier help

thanks pamcopete no numbers on it so i will give it a try i think and if no joy will go with what you say can i just run it by you once more i take the ground rotor wire (black) and make it unground by insulating it with nylon screw then run that black wire to brown live after key swicth on and the other brown from the rectifier also? hope you follow me thanks for your patience stomper
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator/recitfier help

stomper11

OK. But, the black wire itself is also grounded, so the easiest thing to do is just connect another, new wire to the screw terminal of the now isolated brush and run it to the brown wire from the ignitin switch. You can just run it up the frame to the headlight bowl and pick up the brown wire in the bowl.

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator/recitfier help

oh yes i see what you mean i got a bit lost there as i have no wiring at all at the min starting from the bottom up once again thanks for your time and input its put me in the know stomper

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1