650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Mike's XS Performance cam, and valve clatter....

Mike's XS Performance cam, and valve clatter....
    Forum Index -> Engine
kyle1911

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Mike's XS Performance cam, and valve clatter....

Working all the usual bugs out of my new engine, and the valve clatter is driving me a little nuts. Cam chain is adjusted per the book (Brand new chain, and all guides), new valves, springs, and adjusters, with good rockers. Mikes calls for .006in clearance, intake and exhaust. Seems wayyy loose to me.(?) I've set the intake down to .003, and the exhaust at .005, and it is quieter, but still makes my teeth gnash! Anybody running one of these cams, and any opinions on .002in and .004ex? I see this was spec for a few models, per my lovely Clymer manual. I know the valve adjust topic has been beaten around a lot, but not with this cam, that I could find. I emailed Mike last night, waiting to see if he has any extra info, but thought some of the old hands might have a brainstorm. Thanks in advance, Kyle
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS Performance cam, and valve clatter....

It may not be the valves. Are you certain you dont have bad chain, tensioner or front guide?

Performance cams are generally a little noisier in my experience because the are usually more sudden and the rocker impacts the tip with great velocity.

This is a good reason to stick to the manufacturers recommended settings.

I would also consider the elephants foot mod..

However, make sure your cam chain gear is all good.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS Performance cam, and valve clatter....

Indulgences can have their penalties......have you come up with your own clearances and see what happens..... ? .. xsjohn
Photo Gallery
kyle1911

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS Performance cam, and valve clatter....

Cam chain is new, with both tensioner and guide new as well. Have adjusted chain, and installed washer on rod. Right ex valve area is the noisy spot. Crank rebuilt ant welded by Crankworks, new rods, new 750 big bore kit. Nothing but the rockers and shafts are re-used. Looking at Mikes new rocker arms, thinking that might be the hot setup. $99, same as having one resurfaced by MegaRapist. (And I won't have to bite the pillow) Installed Cometic gaskets, had .010 milled from head, to fix a manufacturing flaw. New valves, springs, etc. Might just be loud. I am a Honda guy, and haven't heard valve noise like this on Honda's before. I do love this thing though. She's a hoot! Thanks for the replies! Any other ideas, please throw them at me. I am probably just paranoid after a $2500 engine build, but only fools don't ask. I try to avoid being a fool, though my kids will tell you I suck at it. Kyle

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS Performance cam, and valve clatter....

Just a bit lean on the right as compared to the left........what year are the carbs and what kind....now that you have that thing all hopped up that problem that I discovered years ago really become really annoying...............the right runs hotter than the left at operating temperatures.....the more they are hoppe up the hotter they run....simple fix sometimes....all else being right.............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS Performance cam, and valve clatter....

yeah..it sounds like temperature to me...

You might wanna get some serious oil cooling going on there..the standard oil system would not have enough pressure or capacity in flow to protect an engine with that much performance goodies bolted on Smile ..its only just enough for standard.

Fit an oil cooler if you havent.

ake sure you are using the right oil performance 20/50 oil suited to metric performance V-Twins (like Ducatis) would be good. Morris make one with the right formulation for wet and dry clutches and its awesome.

A good oil (definately a source of mixed opinion!) and an oil cooler will make it run cooler and less noisier. John runs his motors de-tuned to acheive the temperature range that keeps them quiet.

Personally I have loud pipes and an open helmet Smile

The standard bike can "tick" when its hot. You gotta get used to it. Slight squeal when rev'd is also normalish..but load knocks or clicks are not..it may be too hot, or something may be wrong..

How about this....The microphones on cheap video and still/video cameras are GREAT at picking up these frequencies..why not do a movie of the engine running and a walk around..the group have told people to tear down / not tear down based upon these movies in the past ?!?..just a suggestion..
Photo Gallery
kyle1911

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS Performance cam, and valve clatter....

John, these are Dellorto 36's. I am not thinking this is heating problem, just yet. I have only ridden it about 2 miles, and most of the running has been on the stand. (Heat it up to operating temp, then shut down) Noise gets worse at it warms up, it seems. Interesting, valves get looser as they warm. 20 years of wrenching, this is the first time I thought to check valves hot. Set at .005 cold, they measure .006 hot. Go figger? Oil is Delo400, and I am looking at the oil cooler optoin ASAP. I will get a video up on Youtube, hopefully this afternoon, ot tommorow. Thanks guys! Kyle
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS Performance cam, and valve clatter....

I'm with John, try a few different settings & see if it changes!
There is a good page somewhere around..............................here it is:

www.motorcycleproject....clear.html

Is a cool site:

www.motorcycleproject.com/

Cheers

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1