650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > my bike died out of town...

my bike died out of town...
    Forum Index -> Engine
apophiis

PostPosted: July 17, 2006, 9:04 am    Post subject: my bike died out of town...

hi, i realy need some help.

my bike died on a road trip out of town, i will provide a short summery of what happend
i road about 200 miles and all was well. then it started to cut out at 4k rpm;s randomly. it then sat for 4 days wile i worked, i then road it for about 20 miles to a pals house and rechexed the cam chain. i tryed to ride home made it about 5 miles then it started cutting out, at this time it had also just blown a fuse, i replaced the fuse but the bike is still cutting out and at idle it reves its self up and then sputters out.
things i have cheched
fule line and fule petcock in the tank, removed disasembled and inspected.
air filters. little used but ok.
also i accidently whacked the (i think) brushes. wile turning the bolt under the side cover on the left hand side.. generator side. and bent the metal bracket that is screwed in next to it the one shaped like ] this i took out and put on my pals anvil and fixed. the brushes seam ok.

ps. also now it is dying and when it dose the light on for nutral gose out.
ok well if any one can help id realy be greatfull as im kinda out of ideas. im thinking its electical but that is my week spot.
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 18, 2006, 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: my bike died out of town...

It sounds like you aren't charging.
Pull out the service manual, and run an ohm meter across the rings for the stator. (The center part that spins under the brushes).
With the brushes removed from ring to ring should be 5-8 ohms.
4 or less means it's shot. It should also be infinite ohms from the rings to ground.

If that checks out ok - try replacing your brushes, and check all electrical connections - even where the wires are placed into the spades for the terminals.

Pay particular attention to the ones by the sidecover that holds the tool kit. ONe is for the voltage regulator, and the other is for the Ignition pack.

Jim

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
apophiis

PostPosted: July 18, 2006, 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: my bike died out of town...

would i be able to test this by hooking my charger up to the battery wile running the motor?

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1