650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 8, 2009, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

Hey Pete..Genius product as this is..I dont have the advance mech..any longer..if my boyer craps out..do you intend to upgrade the electronics at all?
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 8, 2009, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

jake,

I had thought about it, but it would add to the cost, and I think that is an important consideration, especially in these troubled times.

It would also mean an external box of tricks, just like other advance electronic ignitions, and I would lose it's abillity to work all the way down to 6 volts, an important feature for starting with a weak battery and working with battery less PM charging systems, or getting home when the alternator fails when you are far from home. The system as is will continue to work for 5 hours after an alternator failure if you turn off the headlight. About 3 hours with the headlight on.

y objective was to design a low cost, reliable and simple replacement for the points, and I think I have accomplished that.

PostPosted: March 9, 2009, 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

Pete -- Do you know anybody running your ignition with a Sparx alternator?
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 9, 2009, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

pamcopete wrote:
jake,

I would lose it's abillity to work all the way down to 6 volts, an important feature for starting with a weak battery and working with battery less PM charging systems.

How does p/magnet systems effect that Pete?

pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 9, 2009, 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

yamaman and jimmythetrucker

A PM alternator with a giant capacitor instead of a battery, starts off with zero voltage and no starter, so you have to generate enough voltage when you kick it to get the igniition system going. It's doubtful that you can generate 12 volts by kicking it, so your ignition system has to be able to work with much less than 12 volts in order to start the engine.

Some PM alternators will not maintain 12 volts at idle with the headlight on, so again, you have to have an ignition system that works reliably below 12 volts.

jimmythetrucker

fitz57 over at the garage has a Sparx system with the PAMCO ignition and he's very happy with it. Starts on first kick most of the time.

Click Here to See

PostPosted: March 9, 2009, 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

Pete -- OK. I'm sold.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

Yeah its defo a great product.

Just wanted to add (late as it is) that the Boyer product is supposed to produce a spark as low as 5V!..Although..I have never tried it Smile and dont plan on it Smile
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

Yeah, mines got a cdi (box is only the size of 2 match boxes) and no battery/permanent magnet. Fires up straight away every time. Just as many dirt squirters do. Not sure on any min volt requirements.....Of course I've no lights ect to worry about.
It does seem Pete, that you've created a great product that met all your design criteria, so congratulations on that. Maybe a premium top of the wazza package to run along side that with a p/m kit as well might sell?
I don't reckon I'd want to buy and run the advance rod ect if I had a lecy model.....Cheers

bluebikerblan

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

Hi Pete.....I recently purchased one of your ignition systems and am about ready to install it in a 75 B. I'm also thinking of installing a Sparx system with it and am wondering about best choices re the rectifier and regulator......and hopefully finding wiring info of the combinations?

Hopefully your Ignition System is selling well and you might even have something in the works for your own PM charging system??? I'd wait as I like your approach to things.

Best wishes.....thanks for all the helpful site contributions, Blue

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Plans for An Electronic Advance Curve Version?

bluebikerblan

Check with fitz57 over at the garage. He has a Sparx setup using the PAMCO and he's quite happy with it.

xs650temp.proboards29....ge=8#61755

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1