650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Fork seals, fork removal and oil question.

Fork seals, fork removal and oil question.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
sschering

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fork seals, fork removal and oil question.

Retiredgentleman wrote:
First seals I put in upside down Embarassed , but got it right the second time round. My seals are perfect now, with no leakage.

OK umm I just tore down one leg and got the seal out.. tell me what the right way to put the seal in is? I think the lip side with the spring should face the inside. right or wrong?

William's Law ...
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fork seals, fork removal and oil question.

yes, lip down facing the inside
Xumi

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork seals, fork removal and oil question.

Ugh! I am so jealous to those that got their forks apart!

I'm on the first leg, and it is well and truly stuck!

I made the tool as described with the threaded rod and nuts, which fits beautifully, btw.

The problem is, I can't seem to lock up the nuts well enough to loosen the 8MM allen...

I've tried tightening the nuts together - the bottom one just wants to spin off.

I've tried bunging up the threads - the nut just cuts new threads.

I tried soldering the nut to the rod with a cheap propane torch, but solder apparently isn't strong enough.

This is getting really frustrating - both seals are completely destroyed, as evidence by the 15 year old oil/dirt caked onto the forks.

I'm not sure how that screw was put in, but it sure doesn't want to come out.

Suggestions?

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork seals, fork removal and oil question.

It might be to late, cause you've spun it, but a rattle gun is the ideal way to get it out!

You could keep adding nuts, they have to lock up eventualy!

Perfect tool would be a 17mm 1'2" drive allen key with a few long extensions! Make sure the overall diameter of a socket that large fits in your tube before you buy it though!

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork seals, fork removal and oil question.

I agree a air gun is best, but might try using red lok-tite on those jamnuts or crank them down tight and then weld nuts together and then to shaft
sschering

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork seals, fork removal and oil question.

You could always drill and pin the nut to the rod.

I'm lazy.. I'd just get a 17mm Acorn style lug nut and tape it into a socket so it won't fall out.

William's Law ...
Xumi

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork seals, fork removal and oil question.

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I think I might be able to come up with something out of them.. will let you know.

Love your suggestion Jayel - wish I had a welder.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork seals, fork removal and oil question.

When I did mine, I did use an impact to get the bolt's loose.However, I used a 17MM allen head socket down the inner tube & the 8MM allen on the other end like the manual say's.I had the whole assy in the vice with protection (to prevent damage)and it went pretty good. On the second set(excessive rust on the seal area)this is how I got them apart , as my compressor done give up.If I had some help it would have been a little easier, someone to hold thing's ( I don't have three hands) steady.

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2