650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > deal or no deal? debating project bike

deal or no deal? debating project bike
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
mashedpotatoes

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 3:25 pm    Post subject: deal or no deal? debating project bike

Hey guys, I'm new here but have been prowling the forums for a while reading all I can. I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing a bike to turn into a nice little bobber, but wanted to see what you guys thought of the deal.

It's a 1979 XS 650 with 22,366 miles. It has brand new air filters and battery, and was garaged kept. He said it runs and has the title in hand. The price is 700 dollars.

Now obviously I'll go check the bike out myself to verify everything, but on the whole, if all that is true, does the bike sound worth it? I've had a lot of trouble finding an XS for less than a thousand, so this seemed like a good deal. Let me know guys. Thank you for the advice.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

good price if it's what he says it is, now as for bobbing it as long as it's a special XS650SF (stepped seat, angled shocks) no problem, if it's a 79 Standard XS650F model you'll probably be flogged for even suggesting it
mashedpotatoes

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

Uh oh, I didn't know there was a difference. I've tried researching different models but haven't come up with anything definitive enough to let me know the differences. I am looking to weld on the TC Bros hardtail kit for it, and switch it to a suicide clutch with a jockey shift; springer front end as well. My intended plans being said, what am I looking for now? This curveball has me worried..I'm going to go prowl google for a while. Keep the help coming, and thanks for your time guys.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

here they are differences are in the shocks (Special leaned forward) with mag wheels disc brake 16" rear, Standards have a larger tank, drum brake 18'' rear spoked wheels... and just to add to the fun there is a 3rd 79 model, the 2F

1979_xs650sf.jpg
 Description:
79 Special
 Filesize:  49.71 KB
 Viewed:  163 Time(s)

1979_xs650sf.jpg

1979_xs650f.jpg
 Description:
79 Standard
 Filesize:  72.56 KB
 Viewed:  157 Time(s)

1979_xs650f.jpg

mashedpotatoes

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

Jayel

Thank you so much. I can't really see a difference in the shocks, only that the Special's shocks look longer...yes?

The easy way to tell will be to look at the back then and see if it has drum or disc brakes?

If it is the Special, does that suit well what I'm trying to do? I love the looks of this bike when people convert it to a hardtail, so I'm excited I found one for sale for a good price. I don't want to waste my money though, so I want to make sure all is well with it. Thank you again.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

the tops of the Specials shocks are moved two inches forward giving them more of a lean angle the only way to be sure of what it is - is the numbers, VIN on frame neck, motor number on cases behind lower front motor mount... as far as bobbing or chopping I'm not a fan, but if you buy it it's yours, I do think a uncut bike is worth more and Standards are rarer than the Specials, therefore worth more

model codes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.76 KB
 Viewed:  166 Time(s)

model codes.jpg

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

Sounds like a good deal if it is a runner and all the bits and pieces are there in good condition............could be argued the 78-79 specials will become a collectors piece as they are the only 2 special models that have metal side covers and disc brakes on the rear. They don't have the large seat that makes the specials so back end heavy, the seat also has hinges instead of the clip in type.........due to the fact there are not as many of these made some of the parts, (seats, side covers), will not be reproduced witch in turn make them more of a rare bike.........

Last edited by 650skull on March 4, 2009, 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
mashedpotatoes

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

I may be interpreting the chart wrong, but is the color specifically linked to the model? i.e. in 1979 were the Standard's only produced in blue? Because the bike is listed as blue, so that seems to me it would put an end to this for me..
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

that would not be a given.........if it has the original paint then probably yes, but given it is 30 years old and probably several owners then some questions need to be asked of the owner about the originality of the paint.......I am not one to advocate chopping a good bike but it is your choice and if it is a good buy then you could have a real good bike that is worth more, with a little bit of work you could turn a small profit and buy another to hard tail..............

Last edited by 650skull on March 4, 2009, 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

seems so to me, hell buy it, get it running, sell it later in the riding season may bring in more $$ (it would be good to practice on getting it running good too) and you might find you like it, you may need more than one... lol get to know the bike and like I said look at the numbers
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

Blue was the North American color. I believe there were green 79 standards in other parts of the planet.

Question- What year did the standard model disappear in Europe? Was it '83?

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
mashedpotatoes

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

I just received pictures of it, and as far as I can tell it is a Standard. Why would I not want to chop this one and hardtail it? Is something about the bike/frame different than the special that makes doing what I want to do unrealistic, or is that just the voice of a purist asking me not to destroy a Standard?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

mashedpotatoes wrote:
I just received pictures of it, and as far as I can tell it is a Standard. Why would I not want to chop this one and hardtail it? Is something about the bike/frame different than the special that makes doing what I want to do unrealistic, or is that just the voice of a purist asking me not to destroy a Standard?

the frame is slightly different and yes I plead guilty to the purist part.... Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

A bit of the purist view .More the fact that there are a lot of bikes out there that are in a poor state and would need a lot of money to restore, and they would be good for your purpose. The 77-79 standards are at the top of the development the XS went through, (handling wise, 35mm forks).............Show some pictures
Photo Gallery
XSDAD

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

just the voice of a purist asking me not to destroy a Standard.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

Check out this site. Go to the buyers guide, this doesn't show the 78-79 standards, only the 77 which was the same as the 78-79 basically, but it will give you a very good guide on the difference between models www.xs650.org.au/
Photo Gallery
mashedpotatoes

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

Okay I'm trying to upload the pictures but they're slightly too big for the limits of the site. I'm trying to figure out how to resize them..I'm sure someone here knows how to. i would like you all to see the pictures so you can give me some advice on whether or not it's worth it, so if someone knows how to resize them, shout at me.

Thanks.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

what computer operating system?
mashedpotatoes

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

Windows Vista...this is pathetic - i could write a program to do whatever you wanted in three different languages on the computer but I can't resize a picture..
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

Google in, "Visualizer Photo Resize" This is a free download and works very well........ www.snapfiles.com is a good source of free ware and has a star rating system
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

Just another voice crying in the wilderness...............

Please Don't Chop Another Old Growth Sequoia.....A Bristlecone Pinetree or A Standard XS 650.
They made the "Special" to emulate a chopper so it's barely OK to finish the job.

Just an old biker's lament and plea...........Blue

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

To the purists begging me not to chop it, I respond by saying that I don't have my heart set on this bike in particular, it's just that I haven't found any others for a reasonable price. If anyone knows of any for sale or wants to sell one, I'd be more than happy to leave this one alone. I live in Virginia, so anything there or the bordering states I'd look into. Just putting it out there in case anyone knows and leads and feels like saving this Standard.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

can't open them in MS paint and resize? %
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: deal or no deal? debating project bike

email me your pictures and I'll resize them.
dnpet2 @ yahoo.com
If it is a 79F it was the last year for the standards here in the US.
It was the only year the made 3 models.
It was a low production year for the F or standard so the are fewer of them.
They ride better than the specials. imo
Seeing a pattern as to why it may be worth more than the $700?
If it is in good condition you would be able to make a tidy profit in an e-bay sale. As far as the trade goes I'd trade a 83SK for it if we were closer.
You interested in seeing southern MO?

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3