650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Wont start! Backfires violently!

Wont start! Backfires violently!
    Forum Index -> Fuel
fcarlos085

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Wont start! Backfires violently!

hello everyone!

Im new here!,and i just purchased a 77 bobber project with xs650 engine.
At the current moment the bike has not started in over a year. So i changed the oil and also the oil filters.I just finished wireing up the electrical of the bike which includes the ignition also and new spark plugs. Checked both cylinders for spark and they both fire nicely. New battery installed and on a battery tender too. Now the carbs i did not touch. Dont really know much about them. So this week i got the oppertunity to finaly try and start the thing with no luck! I put fresh 93 octaine in tank opened petcock looked at my fuel filter for flow it was good. ignition on,choke on then i started kicking it. i must have kicked it over 10 or 15 times! and i got NOTHING? so i checked the carbs and seen that the barrels had a lite film of fuel inside. so then i decided on starting fluid. sprayed the carbs with a light mist, then i proceded to kick it over again. at the second kick it poped out the exhaust then the third kick there was a HUGE! flame that shot out the exhaust with a LOUD BANG! got scared so i put down the can of starter fluid and continued to kick it over, but i got nothing but backfires! and flames shooting out the exhaust! What could the problem be??? i have spark! so is it the carb?? why would it backfire with starting fluid?? im Stumped!!
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

Timing sounds wacked.......are the wires crossed or something ...........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
fcarlos085

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

i dont think so, but if they were what wires are you refering to?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

dirty pilot jets/choke circuit and yes does sound like the timing could be off ..... right side cylinder (top set of points) shoud fire at "F" mark turn the engine over until those points are open (may have to turn engine to get on right stroke) make sure those top points fire that plug or timing could be 180 out or wires crossed
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

wires from points to condensers to coils

timing_127.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.03 KB
 Viewed:  373 Time(s)

timing_127.jpg

Last edited by jayel on March 1, 2009, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Romer

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

LOUD BANG absolutly bad fuel. I had the same problem. clean tank, replace filter, clean carbs. If straight pipes you may need to baffle.
fcarlos085

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

thank you! i am going to try what you said i will bring back an update when i can.
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

could be the plug wires are reversed. You can switch the leads from the points.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

fcarlos do you have a manual? If not get one.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

Good spark and correct timing are the absolute FIRST things to check. You'll feel like a chump if you get those carbs all torn apart and put them back together and find you've got the same problem you had when you started. Check ignition timing takes ten minutes tops. Carb overhaul can take DAYS.

Think about it.
Romer

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

Carbs will take 2 hours tops after soaking in cleaner. If they have been sitting for awhile, wouldn't hurt anyway.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

Right, Romer:
Romer wrote:
Carbs will take 2 hours tops after soaking in cleaner. If they have been sitting for awhile, wouldn't hurt anyway.
. Carbs will take 2 hours for a guy like you, who knows exactly what he's doing and doesn't make any mistakes. But a newbie tearing into his first set of carbs ain't gonna get it done that fast and probably won't get it done right the first time -- or the second -- or the third -- and that's why I say it CAN take days.

eanwhile, he doesn't know if the ignition is OK, which means that when he puts the carbs back together and he's still got the same problem, he won't know if it's the ignition or if he f***ed up the carb job.

I don't dispute the idea that the carbs will need doing anyway. I just argue that the ignition is basic to everything else, and he should be certain the spark is doing what it's supposed to do WHEN it's supposed to do it before he runs off into the sunset chasing carburetor problems that might -- or might not -- be present.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

do one at a time, then you can look at the complete carb if you have a 'moment'. And the backfire tells me that jimmythetrucker is on the right track, your ignition is not set correctly. Now if you were in Newark, DE and not Newark, NJ I'd give you a hand.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Romer

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont start! Backfires violently!

I agree with switching the wires first to check fire. Thats a given. My carb rebuild was the first on a motorcycle. They really are straight forward and simple. Just lay each piece out as you go. kingwj is right. take a moment look at the finished one. Move on Smile

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1