650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > "Need Help Again" Front fork reassymble

"Need Help Again" Front fork reassymble
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
mobsters1972

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 7:58 pm    Post subject: "Need Help Again" Front fork reassymble

Hello Everyone:
I want to check with you guys to make sure i am assymbling the forks correctly. My schematic in my repair manual is not for this type of fork so i am hoping you can help me. Please see attached picture:

Is the order that i have in the picturecorrect.

What is the torque on the bottom fork bolt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

lou forks.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.32 KB
 Viewed:  325 Time(s)

lou forks.jpg

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Need Help Again" Front fork reassymble

The long spring goes above the damper rod. The long spring is trapped between the damper rod and the 3-position adjuster nut. There is a small 3 turns rebound spring that goes around the top neck of the damper rod. Your picture has the long spring in the wrong position.

I couldn't find a torque number in my Haynes manual for the lower allen bolt, but its 8mm, so that would be 14 ft-lbs I believe. Should put some blue thread locker on the bolt.

Biker.net has exploded views of the forks, look under XS650 twin reference info.
Photo Gallery
mobsters1972

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Need Help Again" Front fork reassymble

hello

the long spring is not in the picture, the spring ypu see is the short spring.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Need Help Again" Front fork reassymble

If that is the 3 turn spring, then its in the wrong location. Remove the damper rod from the stantion. Place the 3 turn spring onto the damper rod, then slide the damper rod (with spring) into the stantion.
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: "Need Help Again" Front fork reassymble

Red Loctite and 44.5 lb.s torque

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: "Need Help Again" Front fork reassymble

Hello guys:

Little confused, i believe i put it together the way this schematic says to.

Let me know what you think

xs650 forks 2.pdf
 Description:
 Filename:  xs650 forks 2.pdf
 Filesize:  60.47 KB
 Downloaded:  271 Time(s)
mobsters1972

PostPosted: February 25, 2009, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Need Help Again" Front fork reassymble

OK guys,

i think i figured it out, Thanks to retiredgentlemen and the 650 rider crew. I got it all together and i think i am good.

One last question, the aluminum coned shape part is suppost to go cone shape up into the bottom of the stantion. Is this correct?

One thing i notice one everything was installed and put together without the oil loaded was the stantion rocks a bit when it is installed in the fork tube. Is this because the bushing located under the fork seal is worn?

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

LF

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1