650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Drive
rtaylor522

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 9:43 am    Post subject: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

I believe the first time I ever adjusted the clutch on my bike I over-tightened that screw. Felt like it still had room to go, so I kept cranking, and later on realized that I had gone too far.

What kind of damage can be done from that?

Additionally, I seem to remember that after riding the bike for 1-1.5 hours, the lock not that keeps that adjustment in place would back off, no matter how hard I tightened it, or atleast the clutch would somehow end up out of adjustment....One time after a long ride, I remember getting to a stop light after beeing at highway speed up until then. When I went to pull the clutch, I could'nt get it to disengage.

It just seems that it is constantly getting out of adjustment, after a much shorter time than should be reasonable. Any ideas as to why that could be?
Thanks!

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

There is a plastic worm gear on the other side of that adjustment, could check it to make sure it's not cracked.
Was having fits with mine and replaced the clutch springs under the right side cover, the fibres and metal plates were swapped out with some better looking spares I had and swapped out the plastic worm gear. Last, I replaced the clutch cable, duh. Probably should have done that first off. Re-adjusted at the handle and at the side and have had no problems since. Xsjohn has a few good tips on working the clutch.

rtaylor522

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

I know there is something goofy with the clutch cable...at the adjustment by the handle, I've always had to have it practically at the outer limits to keep the pull right. I replaced the springs, and fiber and metal plates already. I'll have to check that worm gear. If someone has a picture of what it should look like, I have a sneaking suspicion there is a missing part somewhere on the other side.

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Ball bearing?
rtaylor522

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Yeah the ball bearing is there if memory serves

Do they sell that worm gear on Mikes? easy replacement?

Found the whole assembly on mikes for 39.00...wonder if thats the problem....I'll have to disassemble and see if the plastic is broken.

Last edited by rtaylor522 on February 15, 2009, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
nj1639

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Offhand, not sure . It is an easy relacement.
Have you relaced the clutch cable?

rtaylor522

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

No I need to do that, I think it's just a hair too long, and I'm not sure if it was replaced with the proper replacement by the PO

Also, When I used to back that lock nut off, it seems to be spring loaded, and when the nut would finally break loose, sometimes the clutch cable would pop out of it's groove, and I would have to take off the left side cover and re-assemble...ever have this problem?

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

That's where I'd go next. Get that replaced and routed for ease of use and you can check the worm gear when you have the side cover off.
Gotta go feed the critters now.
over.

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

rtaylor522 wrote:
Also, When I used to back that lock nut off, it seems to be spring loaded, and when the nut would finally break loose, sometimes the clutch cable would pop out of it's groove, and I would have to take off the left side cover and re-assemble...ever have this problem?

if you pull and hold the hand lever in, then loosen the nut it won't pop out like that... yes Mikes has a replacment worm gear with a longer throw for better clutch pull

5twins

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

If you get a new cable, oil it before installing. Many come dry and would result in a harder lever pull than even the old one gave if installed that way. The one from Mike's doesn't last very long because it's inner wire is thinner than the original. You're better off spending a few more dollars and getting an original or quality aftermarket like Motion Pro.

The worm gear assembly should be kept packed with grease. Most probably weren't over the years so there's a good chance yours is worn out.

Extra free play developing at the hand lever as the motor heats up is common on these bikes. The alloy engine cases expand more than the steel clutch pushrod.
rtaylor522

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Talked to my buddy, the PO.

He says during his original re-build, he used mikes cables all around....this was 6 years ago. Not sure what the length of time these things should last it, but seems reasonable enough considering I never oiled them in college. I guess it served pretty well as a college ride. Limited tools, small garage that my roomates liked to use for their cars too (It's cold in North Dakota). Now that I have my own garage, I'd like to re-build it, and get it done right. The bike is kind of a "family heirloom" per-say. Bought brand new by an instructor at the local airport....given to his student in 80's with probably 20,000mi. on it. His pilot student is now in his 40's and a mechanic for US Air. He taught himself to ride on it back in the 80's, and then taught his dad to ride on it where it gained another 10-15,000 miles. In 2002, my flight instructor was looking for a bike, and the mechanic for US Air gave it to him in a non-running state (had been sitting for 2 years). My instructor got it running right, and sold it to me in 2004 for $250. Rode it for 2 years straight as I purchased it, only changing the oil in college. Now it's been sitting almost 2 years again, ran it once last year rode around block a few times. Now I fly for US Air, and the bike has been in the airport family the whole time. I guess thats why I want to keep it and fix it up. Called up my old instructor, and he is kind of interested in the project too, considering he already re-built it once.

Pshew...sorry for long post, just thought it was cool that we know the history of this bike from date of purchase....one particular trip that comes to mind is I know the First owner took it all the way from Maryland to Michigan and back a few times....quite a hike, but the bike runs on!

I'm sure there are many original parts on the bike that need to be changed, etc....My guess is valves, drive chain, cam chain etc, are all in some sort of dis-repair.

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Mike used to sell a better (heavy inner wire) clutch cable and that's probably what you have on there since it's 6 years old. The ones he sells now are not so good.
xsleo

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

taylor, the clutch adjustment changes as the engine warms up. adjusting it cold, set the adjuster screw at the side cover for minimal play, set lever at minimal play and as it warms you may have to tighten the lever adjuster a little to keep it working. the cable i have is from motion pro and is .090 thick, some of the other cables are as small as .065. the thicker cables hold up better.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Used to make my own cables with a sold wire....especially for the ole BSA...... nice to have a drawer full of ends......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
rtaylor522

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Hey another question regarding the clutch...I have read about the seal on the push rod....I think mine is leaking:

Should it be fully dry?

How hard is it to replace?

How badly does it matter?

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Yes
1-10 scale a 2
It will only get worse.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

there is a bushing inside the end of the shaft that needs replaced also

www.mikesxs.net/products-22.html

somewhere on mikes site it tells how to change the seal and the bushing using a certain sized drill bit to catch and spin out the bushing

www.mikesxs.net/tech_tips.html

mikes clutch bushing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.51 KB
 Viewed:  246 Time(s)

mikes clutch bushing.jpg

xsleo

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

changing the seal and bushing is an easy thing to do. Where the seal fots into the case, you want to bevel the edge of the hole, if not you will mess up your seal. the tips at mike's explain it very well.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Bet no one has tried my push rod dimpling mod........so they don't have to dick with seals and bushings any more from all the wallering and come out with a great clutch too...and for the last time 8-1 makes them run perfect......can't wait to get on the express tomorrow and head to the mountains without all the clattering and vibes.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

You would lose that bet John Smile My rods have been dimpled.

At 3000 feet ASL I'm already down 10% in power. If I dropped my CR, I wouldn't be able to keep up with all those crotch rockets. Unfortunate side effect of low oxygen level, my brain cells are depleting rapidly an d......I'm................fee..l ..in...g......w.e...a..k..e...r Rolling Eyes

long push rod and worm bolt mod1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.75 KB
 Viewed:  319 Time(s)

long push rod and worm bolt mod1.jpg

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

Did you spin them like I said.....and use the dremmel to center the dimple.......don't make me come up there....wish Obama or what ever his name is had stayed there.....no wait then we would have to listen to Biden....we are screwed.....if both then it would be Pelosi.....then Reed..... hope Canada can save us.... Twisted Evil

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

I need to re-visit my dimples and smooth them out a little.

President Obama said he loved Canada, he's even got relatives in Ontario. Your only hope is to ditch the Presidential/Congress system and switch over to a parlimentary system like ours. FBI would become Mounted Police...........football would be replaced by hockey Rolling Eyes
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

At least you can say what you like about Obama and not worry about being shipped overseas to be beaten into submission or beaten to get you to admit things Shocked ..........But you might be made to listen to Hillery for hours on end, that would make you confess to any thing Laughing
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment Screw and backing off of lock nut

John, you shamed me into re-doing my dimpling. Turned both using a drill and then ground some more with the dremel tool. Turned out really well and ball bearing fits nicely between them.

dimpling push rod and worm screw.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.24 KB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

dimpling push rod and worm screw.jpg

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2