650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > distributer cap on xs 650

distributer cap on xs 650
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Engine
tito650

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 3:31 pm    Post subject: distributer cap on xs 650

due to a lot of interest ive decided to start a thread on how i'm puting a distributer on my xs 650. after a lot of studying ive decicided the ebay plans we all see must be a cobbled mess and not worth 25 bucks. some of what i'm doing are from my own plans and some is from the 19 dollar junkyard ignition artical mrriggs wrote at 650 garage.com. i give him a lot of credit. all this will have my own changes and thoughts on how to do this. i will update as i go so keep tuned in,i'm sure to srew somthing up!

first off is a short laundry list of what i'll be using...
-toyota 22r distributer from a carberated toyota for the magnetic pickup,pickup plate and reluctor assembly
-a distributer cap from a 1988 vw fox duralast# rb914
-rotor fron a 1988 vw fox duralast #rb939
-a 4 pin hei module from a 1978 camaro with a 350 duralast# dr100
-a ignition coil from a late seventies ford with threaded studs
-2 short distributer cap clips
- a junk spun pressure gauge ( for the gauge body )
-and if u don't have it already all the mechanical advavce parts for a xs650

here is also the link to the junkyard ignition article

xs650temp.proboards29....hread=7899
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

This should be very interesting! I look forward to your article. Smile
'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

the distributer cap base. Smile i decided to use the sock points cover becouse it mounts right to the bike and looks nice. then just cut it out and made a adapter ring to hold the distributer cap.......
- first take the junk pressure gauge apart and cut the top ring off of it. i went down right above the holes in it. make sure it's a little over 1/4 inch. u need somthing to weld to that goes down inside the points cover.
- then cut a notch in the top of the ring to match the alignment peice in the bottom of the cap. then u'll have to trim the outer part of the ring to fit in the bottom part of the distributer groove. i used my lathe for this. not sure if it can be done without one .
- then i put the points cover in my lathe and hollowed out the center so the ring just fit inside.by using the lathe i made sure everything was perfectly centered. anyone with a metal lathe and a sharp tool bit can do this. no speicial tooling was needed.
- then match up the ring notch to one of the srew holes. i don't think it matters wich one.
-after that i adjusted the ring out so it messured 1/4 out fom cover or .250. and tig welded it into place in a hand full of spots so not to distort the ring i think it will hold just fine.

done with that for now Very Happy

Last edited by tito650 on February 13, 2009, 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

more pics Very Happy
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

more pics Very Happy
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

I admire the thought & engineering going into this but god ,it wont half look ugly ..Bit like a dustbin for an airbox..No offence meant.. Surprised
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: February 14, 2009, 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

Huh... that dist cap sticking out is going to look interesting. I read the article on the other site, and I really liked the stock look of the modified ignition - but this should be good too.

I'm thinking I'll stay stock on my restoration project - points are a pain.. but they are original.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: February 14, 2009, 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

tito650 those plans on ebay, exectp for the dist cap all came from here and 650garageusa. the guy just added the cap from a volkswagen and sells the plans on ebay.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 14, 2009, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

yea i know he did but have u realy looked at the pics. try riding that bike in the rain with the way that cap is mounted and see what happens Shocked it's very cobbled.read my thread from the start. i know all this already. this is how i'm doing it. with my own ideas. i have the 650 garage link posted at the begining of my thread. would u rather see how i did it for free or pay 25 bucks? Razz

yes i know it has been done before so please read my hole thread Smile
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

yes, i looked at his pics. your right, not well done. in your first post you mentioned that you are using mrriggs info. he is a sharp fellow. the first time i saw the ebay set up i went back to 650 garage and asked about it. there was a conversation about how that fellow took the info from these sites and is selling it on ebay. not the right thing to do. what you are doing is quite trick. i wish you the best of luck.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

yea i agree mrriggs is a realy smart guy ! and those ebay plans are a sham. i see someone one there now is selling xs650 chopper wiring diagrams Confused i wanted a distributer on on my bike but wasn't going to pay for those plans becouse of what had happened. so i figured i'd post my plans on here so every one can see it. what i'm doing maybe more work but it's water tight and should be reliable. the realy nice thing about this set up is u can go to the local parts store and fix ur bike the same day Smile

i appreciate your complement ! Very Happy
Photo Gallery
Buddy78SX650

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

Just wanted to say I think this is very interesting and thank you for posting your progress.

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

hopefuly gonna have more info up soon. been workin through some stuff Very Happy
Photo Gallery
batman911

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

I am really looking forward to seeing this. Hoping to do it on my wifes bike if it works.

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

wile i'm still figuring on how to mount the dist cap clips i'll work on the magnetic pickup plate.

-first i'll tear apart the toyota 22r distributer for the vacume advance assembely and the reluctor shaft.
- take the vacume advance plate apart till all u have is the bearing plate.
-cut the bearing plate in half and grind smooth. even cut the vacume advance pin off. but make sure to leave the little nub that locates the magnetic pickup. also there will be a small sharp lip around the outside grind it down to or it will interfere with the points plate screws.
-take the points plate grind the small nubs off be sure to leave the half moon in the center.
-line up the cut out on the toyota mag pickup plate with the large hole on the points plate. not the oval hole. when u do this it will clock the pickup at 45 deg from top of the dist assembelly. this is important it lines everything up with the distributer cap plug ins.
-weld both halfs together i just tacked them twice.
- i also changed the points plate philipps screws to allen head screws these seem to work better.
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

more pics
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

more pics
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

here is the allen head screws i'm using. i think these would be a good idea for a points set up too. seem a lot easier to tighten than a phillips .
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

update...... well after scatching my head for a wile ive decided to press the reluctor off of the toyota 22r distributer shaft. ive now had to make my own distributer shaft and press the reluctor on it for the following reasons.
-the toyota shaft would be to short.
-the vw rotor fits like crap on the toyota shaft plus it's not even made for it.
-i can't realy see how u can properly hold it on the advance shaft.
i'll have pics up of this soon. i will also recomend that if u are going to replace the advance rod bushings in do not get the needle bearings! replace the labernths with new ones you'll save your self a hole lot of head aches.
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

here are some pics of my distributer shaft i made. i machined the shaft then pressed the toyota reluctor off the toyota distributer shaft then pressed it on to the one i made. every thing fits realy nice. looks like a oem part lol Smile i pry wouldve used the toyota shaft but to me wouldve been cobbling it together . not good for a daily driver....
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

getting there, what are you going todo with the two extra plug wire outlets on the dist.cap?
tito650

PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

i think i'm gonna cut them down and put plastic plugs in them Smile
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: April 16, 2009, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

in the past week ive made some more head way ...here is the gm hei module mounted to a peice of aluminum that bolts to where the old coil was. i wired it up and spun the advance shaft with a drill and wow it realy throws some spark ! nothing like a automotive ignition on a bike should hold up realy good and have a cool factor. next is gonna be just buttoning up a few things and getting the timing right. i'll post more stuff soon plus a wiring diagram. the black wires are grounds..
Photo Gallery
c1skout

PostPosted: April 16, 2009, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: distributer cap on xs 650

Did you put some heat sink paste between the HEI module and the mount? They don't live as long if you dont, at least not in a distributor.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2