650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > Boyer Bransden Igniton Kit xs650

Boyer Bransden Igniton Kit xs650
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
Twiggr

PostPosted: March 28, 2005, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Boyer Bransden Igniton Kit xs650

I would like to convert the old tired points system in my chopper build to the electroni ignition by Boyer. I thought I'd list this to see if anybody had a kit that was ordered and never used or had a good used kit. I've read a few stories on the kit and read nothing but good things. Seems straight forward as an install perspective. If anyone has purchased the kit.....drop me a line to let me know where I can order it at a good price. I just upgraded my carbs to a 36mm Mikuni VM....and the upgade to the igntion would be an enhanced improvement. I believe the kit comes with new coils, a threaded rod to replace the old governor rod, unit and control box, and plugs. Like I said if anyone is using this kit now....let me know what you think of it. Thanks and I enjoy the site.
Photo Gallery
yamaha75

PostPosted: March 31, 2005, 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Boyer Bransden Igniton Kit xs650

hi twiggr, where r u? i've just fitted the ignitiom and 36mm carbs on my xs. i'll be picking the bike up from the shop tomorro. will let you know

jp
Photo Gallery
yamaha75

PostPosted: April 1, 2005, 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Boyer Bransden Igniton Kit xs650

all i can say is wow, what a difference they both make. fit them now !!!
Photo Gallery
Twiggr

PostPosted: April 2, 2005, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Boyer Bransden Igniton Kit xs650

I reside in the US. Glad to hear that change made a definite improvement. Need to get me a kit. Thanks
Photo Gallery
yamaha75

PostPosted: April 3, 2005, 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Boyer Bransden Igniton Kit xs650

Hi twiggr, i took the old girl out for a proper blast today, the new ignition certainly makes starting easier, hell it even starts on the button when warm !! The new carbs certainly improve the engine response across the rev range, it seems to pull a lot harder than it did. yesterday I removed the old yamaha tail light and fixed on a new lucas taillight complete with number plate bracket, just over an hours work and it was done, smartens up the rear mudguard a little. The next job is to sort out the riser bolts so I can fit my new risers and bars, then get the front discs drilled, fit the second caliper, bleed the brakes and replace the front tyre.

regards
jon
Photo Gallery
Jochen

PostPosted: April 25, 2007, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Boyer Bransden Igniton Kit xs650

Hi,
some experiences with the red Boyer from Germany:
It starts better, runs better, has a smoother idle running.
But you have to have an eye on your battery and charging system, if it comes under 11 volts, it may stop your engine. When you are standing at a traffic light, lights on, turn-signal on, brake-light on and low revs and your charging system is not at its best, you will get a problem. The same may occure with electric starting, if the battery is low, the Boyer will quit the job.
The advantage is, you install it and forget it, because you must not controll the ignition for a long period.
They say, the blue, digital boyer does a better job, dont know, just bought it, but did not yet install it, because i am just using a double-point-cam, a twin-ignition-coil so i have only one contact and it fires always at the same time into the two zylinders.

Hope you can read my bad shool-english

Jochen
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 25, 2007, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Boyer Bransden Igniton Kit xs650

Make sure you buy the 'micro-digital' (red box) with a high-performance twin output coil & a combined regulator/rectifier of which there are 2 types ,one for points and another for electronic/digital ignition it MUST be the latter! I've had this set-up on all of my XS's for many years without any problems.
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 1, 2007, 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Boyer Bransden Igniton Kit xs650

I will testify to the fact that it is reliable. Had mine 5 years. The blue box. It's okay. Way overpriced. What's wrong with points? They won't leave you stranded and are cheap. I don't like the way that cheapo threaded rod replaces a machined points rod. 250 bucks for an ignition with a cheap hardware store threaded rod? I can think of better things to buy like beer. To me, these systems aren't worth the price. A well tuned points motor would run right with it. Maybe if you are turning your xs into a goldwing it would be worth it.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1