650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > cam chain II

cam chain II
    Forum Index -> Engine
apophiis

PostPosted: July 11, 2006, 1:48 pm    Post subject: cam chain II

so i turned the cam couneter clock wise and all now it is too tight i think as i now have a strange noise..
when im turning the wrench counter clock wise on the nut located under the plate clutch side, but the pin/nut bobs in and out as i turn it, so what point do i use to set it...
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 11, 2006, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain II

from the left side, alternator side, you rotate the engine counterclockwise. I can't think of a reason you couldn't just use the kickstart with the ignition off to take the slack out of the camchain.
Photo Gallery
apophiis

PostPosted: July 11, 2006, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain II

spinning the cam is not the problem the problem is how much do i turn it. as when i turn it counter clock wise the adjusting screw on the cam chain adjuster moves in and out of its housing up to mabee 1/4 inch. so do i rotat the cam tell the adjuster is at ist lowest point then adjust it out. or the opposite?
grizld1

PostPosted: July 11, 2006, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain II

The pin at its outermost travel should be flush with the nut. It helps to remove the plugs and ignition cover and turn the crank by hand; you can also do the adjustment with the engine idling.

PostPosted: July 12, 2006, 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain II

I always adjust it with running engine so that u can just feel with ur fingertip that its going in and out. U must feel it otherwise its to tight.
It wil leak a bit of oil during the proces but thats not a big issue.

U should try it.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 1, 2006, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain II

I need to replace the cam chain guide, it is coming apart. I have put together the following list- am I missing something or do I have pieces I don't need?

05-0006 guide stopper-ft.cam chain guide bar

01-9020 camshaft seals-pair

05-0001 gasket cement-3 bond #4

18-0861 gasket-cylinder base

18-0852 gasket- cylinder head

18-0865 gasket-intake spigot

18-0863 gasket-rear of adv. or breaker housing

18-0675 headpipe exhaust gaskets

18-0858 gasket-sump oil strainer plate

18-0874 tach drive O-ring
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: August 1, 2006, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain II

A complete gasket set will set you back fewer bucks than buying the bits separately and it's good to have--you never if you might need a clutch cover gasket in the near future, for example. The 3 Bond compound you want is the #1104--good stuff! A can of Permatex Kopper-Kote spray always comes in handy as a gasket dressing; some very successful builders disagree on this, but I've always gotten good seals with it on head gaskets--base gaskets as well (though I used 1104 on the base on my last build, due to elevated compression). It aids sealing but doesn't cement things together that you might want to separate later.

If wooden wedges are gently applied, it's often possible to get the head cover and head off without disturbing the cylinder base gasket; that's really as far as you need to go.

Unless your camshaft seals are leaking it's usually not necessary to replace 'em. The adv/breaker cover housing (cam end cover) gaskets survive removal more often than not; about 80% of the time they'll adhere to the covers and come away from the head in good shape, and if they do, Kopper Kote or your dressing of choice will reseal 'em.

PostPosted: August 2, 2006, 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: cam chain II

Griz............ I use Kopper Kote and 1104 on all applications and like you ,I've had great success.............Jack
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 2, 2006, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain II

hmmmm Kopper Kote? Gonna have to look that one up ... I assumed it was like never-seize at first ... maybe not?

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1