650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Mounting some fiberglass parts...

Mounting some fiberglass parts...
    Forum Index -> Frames
SClay

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Mounting some fiberglass parts...

I am working up some fiberglass parts, and since I am making them from scratch, I can use any mounting system I see fit. Problem is, I'm not sure what the 'best' way is. I am building a seat, so the top will be upholstered, so no through bolts are possible. But here is what I am thinking:

Glass in some of these nuts:

And attach with bolts from the other side. No sweat, seems like a great idea. Question is, as I've never worked with fiberglass before, what is the best way to sink these into the piece? I was thinking of actually glassing them into the piece while I am initially building it, but I'm not sure this is the way to do it. Then I was thinking I should construct the seat, without any fasteners, and then go back and attach these into the piece, or some other method of attachment. What do you folks think? I'd just like to do this thing once, and not end up having to scrap it and start again. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Steve

P.S. Dimensions on picture are not the ones I am using, just for a pictorial reference.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting some fiberglass parts...

Boat technology might be useful for you:

www.yachtsurvey.com/ha...hments.htm

I've always been in love with Dzus fasteners:

www.kenlowe.com.au/bod...rdware.htm

26sam10

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting some fiberglass parts...

WHen mounting fiberglass to any metal structure your enemy is vibration. Yamaman is right that DZUS or similar fasteners are best as they allow the parts to "move" around a bit. If you try and bolt any fiberglass parts you will most likely end up with cracking of the part and certainly the paint. If the part is very well supported such as a cafe tail that it supported in several places you can sometimes get away with bolts if you use rubber grommets and barrel spacers (they should not be used for structural support). Lastly you can be creative with rubber (think of an older jeep CJ5 hood latch the kind with the rubber ball and hook.) On your seat you may want to try to glue some rubber on the mounts or split some rubber hose and use it on the frame rails to cushion the glass. Good Luck
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1