650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > The Flyng "W" build log....

The Flyng "W" build log....
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

xsjohn wrote:
If you just leave the look of the bike original then no one can say you hosed it up... Laughing

xsjohn

These bikes are hideous stock! Cool
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

And can easily get worse from there........... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
NateDogg

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

I feel responsible for this, because I made a knee jerk reply when I was having a bad day. I honestly didn't mean anything by it, that wizard bike is one of my fav xs's, I dig the bars on it and I don't run front brakes,

I also agree with yamachop, these bikes are ugly stock. I hid mine in my sisters garage until I could tear all it's ugliness off.

Also, mufflers are over-rated, taking them off only makes your bike louder and it sounds cool. Thats all it does. Your valves will not blow through your knees.

Electronic ignition is THE way to go. It rules, points are great on my lawnmower but I don't take it for scenic rides. Mechanical advance also sucks.

Center stands are only good for removing and playing horse shoes with.

Signal lights are good to remove too. You can take the lenses off and store obsolete mechanical advance springs in them on your bench. The stock tail-light lense makes an awesome salad bowl for a family of four.

The passenger pegs, once you rip them off, are good to save for that minibike project youre thinking about.

Someone who who cares how fast they are going is searching ebay right now for your gauges.

If you've lowered your xs, take a large framing hammer and repeatedly strike your side stand in the center until the bike leans far enough to not fall over when parked. You don't need to take it off, heat it, weld it....just hit it a few times.

I don't trust anyone with a frontfender unless it is on a tastefully done cafe racer.

There is more to building a cafe racer than flipping your bars upside down and attempting to make your own seat.

Sportster gas tanks are cool, classic and cheap. Respect them.

There is WAY to much electrical crap on these. Start your bike and start unplugging stuff until it shuts off.

Firestine classic tires are the new red wheel and whitewall.

Your bike DOES need new alternator brushes.

And lastly, Sure, of all the places doing custom xs "bobbers" yours look the best. And Yamahachops bike is cool, I don't care what those nasty old dudes on JJ say.

xsjohn

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

Does seem the wackers are getting a bit touchy..... I prefer to discuss engines....... would hate to think I spent all that time and money to still have a ratty running thing ............ ah what would I know....I'm old and have been at this too long.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

John my bike runs great as I do not have tiime to sit on the side of the road and fix it..hahahaha
NateDogg,thanks
ted650chopper

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

xsjohn wrote:
If you just leave the look of the bike original then no one can say you hosed it up... Laughing

xsjohn

Original bike? What kind of fun would that be....... Wink

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

bunch of nancies, grab a beer...nuff said

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

Beat John day.......I can see it coming..........it happens now and again......sometimes for good reasons sometimes not........ Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
borjawil

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

eh everyone needs a good whooping every now and again, keeps ya sharp Wink

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

Just finished up the paint..

georelle

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

Cool paint. Very nice work.
'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder what could be done to improve my grandmother's original '57 Chevy tudor?
borjawil

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

god that paint is sex. haha ive yet to paint my tank,thanks for more ideas!

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

NateDogg wrote:
I feel responsible for this, because I made a knee jerk reply when I was having a bad day. I honestly didn't mean anything by it, that wizard bike is one of my fav xs's, I dig the bars on it and I don't run front brakes,

I also agree with yamachop, these bikes are ugly stock. I hid mine in my sisters garage until I could tear all it's ugliness off.

Also, mufflers are over-rated, taking them off only makes your bike louder and it sounds cool. Thats all it does. Your valves will not blow through your knees.

Electronic ignition is THE way to go. It rules, points are great on my lawnmower but I don't take it for scenic rides. Mechanical advance also sucks.

Center stands are only good for removing and playing horse shoes with.

Signal lights are good to remove too. You can take the lenses off and store obsolete mechanical advance springs in them on your bench. The stock tail-light lense makes an awesome salad bowl for a family of four.

The passenger pegs, once you rip them off, are good to save for that minibike project youre thinking about.

Someone who who cares how fast they are going is searching ebay right now for your gauges.

If you've lowered your xs, take a large framing hammer and repeatedly strike your side stand in the center until the bike leans far enough to not fall over when parked. You don't need to take it off, heat it, weld it....just hit it a few times.

I don't trust anyone with a frontfender unless it is on a tastefully done cafe racer.

There is more to building a cafe racer than flipping your bars upside down and attempting to make your own seat.

Sportster gas tanks are cool, classic and cheap. Respect them.

There is WAY to much electrical crap on these. Start your bike and start unplugging stuff until it shuts off.

Firestine classic tires are the new red wheel and whitewall.

Your bike DOES need new alternator brushes.

And lastly, Sure, of all the places doing custom xs "bobbers" yours look the best. And Yamahachops bike is cool, I don't care what those nasty old dudes on JJ say.

hahaha I love this.

I think its funny when people think they have to judge everyone elses ideas & creations because it's not their personal style. I've always said build what you want how you want. FTR

Sure, you already know I love those bars. and you were right when you said they are a stricktly love/hate design there's no in between.

xsjohn

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

"""""""""I think its funny when people think they have to judge everyone elses ideas & creations because it's not their personal style.""""""""

Think you guys are missing the point......I don't design motorcycles just fix and ride them.....and when modifications causes handeling to go backwards from factory design is where I draw the line.........that's my only objection plus safety.......don't see choppers wining races or handling trophys.............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

There are other riders like you John who just need the bike to be reliable transportation but look at all the show and shines out there and the fact that harley sells 300,000 bikes a year with 700 pounds of oversized stuff stuck on em so they look more "manly" or something. To most riders how the bike looks is very important.

y policy with all these custom threads is usually "if you don't have anything nice to say, shut your cakehole." but it gets hard sometimes. That 71 turned into a cafe racer the other day really tested me. I've spent a lot of time and money trying to make mine stock and then you see that. I don't know how many of them are out there, but they made 10,000 forty years ago and people have been crashing them and cutting them up this whole time. Can't be that many left.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

tacoswild wrote:

y policy with all these custom threads is usually "if you don't have anything nice to say, shut your cakehole."
they ask for opinions or info and we should only think (say) happy thoughts? I don't care if you ride a unicycle, just don't try to convince me it's a wonderful mode of transportion

gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

Opinion's are like a$$hole's, everybody got one, & they all stink!! Nice temp's on those cyl. John, hope they stay that way, mine's running cooler,too. No temp's,justrunnin' good. Rolling Eyes
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

Still far from my budys 750 Honda water cooled V Twin....temps...threw the meter on his cylinders and it's 190 degrees..........they can run leaner and get great mileage........last year I could see 57-58 on a road trip with him......the honda was getting 60-62.........not that much diff........his was a 750 though......same performance too........at least in the 1/8 mile.......didnt try top end where I think he would win.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

Quote::
they ask for opinions or info and we should only think (say) happy thoughts?

yeah you've got a point there, he did ask. I think he's asking in the chopper forum though for opinions about this particular one, not asking people who hate choppers to come in here and tell him choppers are stupid and ugly. But hey I'm not the police, do what you want.
bryant

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

damn i dont think im gonna even post any pics of my bike. someone might make me cry.

xs john. if you want lower engine temps in the 1/8th mile just get some big ass jets and run methanol. our dirt track cars run really cool on it.
sure

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

I never asked anyone for the opinion on the bike..I was just showing what we are doing..I don't really care what anyone thinks of it..I build and ride what I am into..I like all kinds of bikes..some are built for speed,some are built to just cruise..
If I wanted the nicest fastest best handling bike I would buy a ducati..
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 24, 2009, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Flyng "W" build log....

tacoswild wrote:
Quote::
they ask for opinions or info and we should only think (say) happy thoughts?

yeah you've got a point there, he did ask. I think he's asking in the chopper forum though for opinions about this particular one, not asking people who hate choppers to come in here and tell him choppers are stupid and ugly. But hey I'm not the police, do what you want.

YOU have A GOOD point there man. All these stock loving guys wonder into the CHOPPER and BOBBER section and want to spew their stocking loving ideas. There is a section on this forum for STOCKERS!!!!!!!

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2