650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators
    Forum Index -> Frames
jralex

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

I am in the process of rebuilding my forks. I will have Mike's emulators and Mike's progressive springs. I am about 190#. I like a sport bike type ride, without it being bone jarringly stiff.

Wondered if anyone with a similar set up would like to offer what quantity and weight of fork oil you have ended up with.

Thanks

jralex

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

WOW! youda thunk I have some kinda disease or something the way everyone has avoided me.

Gonna try 15 w.

xsleo

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

I don't think people are avoiding you. It could be that not many people have the emulators.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: February 27, 2009, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

You might try contacting Mike Morse at 650 Central, he has raced these bikes, he may know the answer.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

I don't even know what an emulator is supposed to do. Anybody?
xsleo

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

The emulator is a device to convert a damper type fork, like the 650, into a cartridge type fork, like the new bikes. You drill out the holes in the stock damper tube, so it has no effect on fork action. The emulator sets on top of the damper tube, under the spring. Then as the forks extend and retract the oil now flows thru the emulator instead of the damper. The emulator can better control the flow of oil to get better control over compression and rebound of the forks. The emulator can be adjusted for the weight of the bike and rider and the riding style.

Last edited by xsleo on February 28, 2009, 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

something to do with big birds, you know ostrichs rheas, and emus Rolling Eyes
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

XSLEO -- I assume it's supposed to be a good idea for lard asses like me to get some emulators -- is that right?

ike's XS has emulators for cheap. Something like 25 or 30 bucks as I recall. 650 Central wants over a hundred dollars for their product. Does anybody know if there's any difference? Is one better than the other? Do emulators ever blow a seal or wear out or something? What are the pros and cons?
Tomterrific

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

As the shock oil goes through the valve in a damper the resistance goes up the square of the speed.

What this means is your fork has more and stiffer compression damping the shaper the bump it hits. This is backwards from the way it should work best. The cartridge emulator is a spring loaded valve that gives your fork a set damping like stock until a sharp bump is hit. The sharp bump increases the pressure under the emulator valve and the spring lifts the valve allowing the oil through so the fork can follow the bump rather than locking and jarring like a stock fork.

A heavy person or two up riding needs heavier springs. A greater preload of the existing spring at the least. The emulator is better for every load than the stock fork action. A stronger spring may need heavier oil for more rebound damping.

Tom Graham
xsleo

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

I haven't checked 650 central to see what they have. They might be Race Tech. The Race Tech is an original, Mike's is a copy of the Race Tech. is one better than the other? I don't know, the way to find out would be to run both in a side by side comparison and see. For my use the Mike's will be ok. If I was racing then the Race Tech may be the better choise.

Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

Thank you leo & tom. I shall heed your advice.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

Nuther question -- If I get the emulators, what does the install entail? Do I need to drill and thread holes in my fork tubes? Should I do that myself or have it done at a shop? I don't have a vise or a drill press. . . .

Also -- Once I get the things all put together, how do I adjust the emulators when I want to? Do I have to take the forks apart again, or can I access the adjusters from the top of the tree?

Anybody?
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

It was my understanding that it's just plug and play. I believe the emulators work best with straight rate springs. You buy springs based on the weight of the bike and the load you carry on it.

I was told by a trusted source that you may source springs from Traxxion Dynamics and they will make sure what you put on your bike is correct for your application. www.traxxion.com

jralex

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

I have installed emulators on my XR. They work relatively well. As XS & tom indicated, they make the old style damper rod type for work more like a cartridge fork. Sharp edged bumps are less of a jolt and are smoothed out a bit more.

Better for all physiques, not just the more robust Very Happy

As for the installation, I purchased Mikes. These are a copy of Racetech's, and from what I have seen, look the same. I do not have everything back together yet to give a report on how they perform.

To install, the forks need to be disassembled. No drilling of the tubes. The four existing holes in the damper rod need to be enlarged, no tapping. Two addititional holes need to be drilled. A drill press is helpful but may not be necessary. All holes need to be deburred and chamfered, inside and out. The inside is a bit tricky to beburr and chamfer. I used a hand deburring tool and did my best.

When assembling, the emmulator sits on top of the damper rod and the spring sits on top of the emmulator.

To adjust the emmulator you need to remove it. The forks don't need to be completely disassembled, or even removed from the clamps. Take the weight off the forks, remove the cap and spring, then the emmulator with some sort of long tool with a hook on the end. Adjust the allen screw on the emmulator and then button everything back up.

wally

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

I fitted these about 12 months ago
Did not like it maybe it was me but no matter what adjustment I made the ride was to hard
Remember when you do this & if you dont get the result you want you can not go back as you have Destroyed your damper rods it took me some time to get a replacement set
Sorry to be a bummer but just beware & think some more.
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

Wally,

Is it possible that the problem was the springs that you installed? I've been led to believe that it can be tricky to get the correct rate springs.

arty

xsleo

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantity & type fork oil w/emulators

Wally, have you tried different weight oils? A lighter oil will flow faster than a heavier oil. The lighter oil will give a softer action than a heavy oil.

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1