650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Rattle Can Frames

Rattle Can Frames
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Frames
cpotts454

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Rattle Can Frames

I know, everyone hates the rattle can... butttt, I want to spray bomb the frame. My only problem is that all rattle can paint seems to be to soft. It peals and scratches easy. Any advice on a rattle can paint to use that is tougher then normal?

Cory.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

Rattle cans the paint needs to be baked.........frame is pretty big though.......like 225 degrees for a few hours .....small parts can be rattled and baked in the oven........auto paints of course already have the hardeners in it......laquers will harden but will chip easily........that's about all I know.......there is small arosol spray bottles that you can use automotive paints in........paint stores have them..did a pickup truck bed with them and it came out nice........and hard...any color you want on the chart there.....if I paint my frame someday thats how I will do it not having a huge oven.....or a compressor anymore....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

The paint will only be as good as the preparation... I have used the cheap Krylon from Wal Mart with no problems but I spent a lot of time cleaning and preparing the surface first.... Actually a paint that is soft like enamel will dent before it chips.... The old lacquers were terriable and chipped easily. If its a daily rider and not a show bike I see no reason not to use a rattle can. Just my opinion.............BG

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

Preval is the name of the small arosol sprayers for auto paint....wouldn't want to paint a building with them but for frames it would work good...and real paint......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

try some engine enamel (duplicolor) at your auto parts store. good to 500*. you can even get a torch and go over it for 10 mins or so to sort of bake it on. should hold up fairly well. and if not, hit any scratches with the spray bomb again.
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

spray on bedliner. you can buy cans of it here. Clean and prep the frame good, 2 cans later. you have a tough as nails durable matte black finish.
madskills
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

for baking you can use work lights, the 500watt shop lights work well beacause of the heat they put off, of couse you'll need a couple of the dbl head units but it works
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

There are apparently some rattle cans now with proper two part auto paint in them. The hardener is somehow kept separate inside the can until you puncture it and shake it up. Once mixed you have to use it up in one session or it will harden in the can. I can't remember the brand name, I'll see if I can find it.

edit: you're going to need to wear a proper respirator with this kind of paint I assume
tacoswild

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

sorry guys I can't figure out where I saw this. I'll keep looking, I only read a couple of these boards so it's gotta be around here somewhere.
cpotts454

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

i like xsjohns idea. I didnt even know they made such a thing. Kick ass.
Photo Gallery
shil

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

Bombed my frame:

Black semi-gloss Tremclad. No baking required, stands up to anything.
cpotts454

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

Sweet.. That looks great too. Like I said my main concern is durability. So if it truly does stand up to anything then thats perfect. Looks great too.
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

I've looked all over for Tremclad paint but have had no luck. Anyone know of where I can find some?

Also shil, what kind of prep did you do prior to painting?
Photo Gallery
shil

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

Tremclad is a RustOleum product, I think it's only available in Canada. It's just rust paint.

When I say that it stands up to anything, well, it's not powder coating. It'll chip if you beat on it with a hammer but it stands up to normal use just fine. I painted the fork lowers on my SV two years ago: 20K km later and still no chips.

I hand sanded the frame lightly, that's it. Semi gloss is great for hiding imperfections.
cpotts454

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

Cool. Has anyone used bedliner type paint? Got pictures? After striping the paint from my frame it exposed alot of flaws. I guess the 50 layers of paint covered them up. I think using a bedliner product might help hide them, but I am just concerned with the look of it.
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

Bed liner is the best imho.
cpotts454

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

sweet. it looks great on the pictures. can I ask you what kind you used? what kind of prep did you do, and how does the texture feel? I mean if someone was to come up to the bike and didnt know anything about it, would they be able to point out the frame was sprayed with canned bed liner?
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

it's a real fine grippy texture, not as smooth as paint. But it's fine enough that it looks good. cleaned it with a wire wheel in a drill, degreased and painted. every one who was seen it really likes the finish.

I can't remember the brand. but i would say just buy a can and experiment on some small pieces.

tough as nails.
calicruiser

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

look around your area for someone to sandblast your frame. I found a memorial company (that sells headstones!) and they also do sandblasting. $25 for my frame. it will get rid of all those flaws you talked about. also, call around about powdercoating. I am getting mine done for $70! $95 total for a blasted and PC'd frame. that IMO is WELL worth the money compared to the time and effort you would need to put into it to get it looking good. Just my 2 cents!
cpotts454

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

Gotcha Cali, but I've called several people about powder coating and none of them have a big enough oven for frame. I know this is a big town, but I just can't find someone that knows someone to save my life! Also, Cali, are you saying that sandblasting would remove some of the deep scratches and weld throughs on the frame guards.
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

no. Sandblasting will only remove paint imperfections.
calicruiser

PostPosted: January 31, 2009, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

no blasting wont remove those but it will let the powder or paint do it's job better. the powder or paint may hide some of those deep scratches. try a finishing wheel if you have a grinder and if not just let them be. . . unless you be building a show scoot!
cpotts454

PostPosted: February 1, 2009, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

no show scoot here Josh. lol. I am just trying to make a old bike look cool as a daily driver through the summer.

Also guys, I dont intend on doing this for the frame, but I found out my local paint supplier will fill rattle cans with premixed with hardener automotive paint of any color they offer. Maybe some of your local supply places will do the same. It may be a cheaper alternative then buying a gun or having it professionally done.
Photo Gallery
chilliwackwestie

PostPosted: April 10, 2009, 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can Frames

I know some Automotive paint stores can make you a spray bomb with a single stage auto paint. I know this because I used to make em at lordco parts here in BC Canada.

Stuff works good
Cheers
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2