650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Forums - ? for stock models

Forums - ? for stock models
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

I represent that.... Shocked ...xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

hey hey hey people....the fairing comment was just a joke...i just put that in for xsjohn....c if i would get a bite..as for arguing between preferences, there is no argument...it's a free world to do what you like, all i did was wonder why there wasn't a forum for stock bikes, i guess it came from enjoying looking at the bobber forum becuase i knew there would be pictures of bobbers, same with choppers, always pictures...and as i keep telling my wife..im a visual person.......thats why i like looking.......
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

They say you enter your second childhood when you get older.......... Maybe you should lighten up oldskoolcool, sounds like you are between both childhoods. Smile Smile Smile
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Most of the owners of 'stock' classics over here like the XS or Zeds are too scared to ride them in case they 'de-value' their bikes by getting dirt or a speck of rust on them..Thats not real bike ownership or genuine 'bikers' to me... Good thing about the XS is that its one of the few bikes that can be improved ( or at least dont suffer from) cosmetic tinkering ! How could you say this one of mine & this cracking good Caf' racer featured elsewhere in the forum dont look like theyre 'meant to be' ? If anything fell off or broke I wouldnt have a heart attack worrying how to source factory parts !

p7030050.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.37 KB
 Viewed:  98 Time(s)

p7030050.jpg

xs650 098.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.57 KB
 Viewed:  87 Time(s)

xs650 098.jpg

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

oldskoolcool- That's what I like about the XS. So many people do so many cools things and mods to them. You never see the same thing twice. It's each owners vision. We are all different and so should our bikes be. I like my old stocker but have great admiration for all the sweat and work put into the modified bikes. Sometimes I just say wow! Mostly because personally I don't have that kind of vision to see it in my mind before modification I guess.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Snake wrote:
Hey, there is a forum for choppers, bobbers and trackers....what about stock/original..whatever you call want to call them......

I'd venture to say that the site was originally started for the stockers and then the choppers and bobbers are a branch off from there.
These are usually bought for what they are or for what they could be and then the rare ' just fell into one by chance, what is this?'
I can find beauty in them all 'cept for the harley tanks. Ha!

xsjohn

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Hope you guys haven't kissed and made up yet......dang I was just starting to have some fun....... Laughing

And I get beat up for opening an oil hole .015 thou......while others hack their bikes in half and pat each on ther on the back for it.....life just isn't fair..... Crying or Very sad

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

xs1961;
Those are 2 fine examples of XS650s. Both show attention to detail and pride of ownership.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Thanks RG.. I build my bikes to ride not as an investment... Cant remember who owns the nice Caf Racer but Im in the process of building one of mine into a similar style but all silver with spoked wheels...You can bet they get more admiring glances than stock bikes - apart from the anoraks !
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Hi Guys,

I've been reading this with a smile and a bit of nostalgia: many times I picked up a Triumph T100 twin for $50.00, because people didn't want the little 500cc jobs. Lots were bobbed or chopped or otherwise altered, and now people are spending lots of money trying to put them stock again.

The happy youth who cheerfully chopped up Triumphs and Nortons and BSA's are, in their middle years, looking at the XS650's and watching us catch up. It devolves to dollars, and I think personally that it's not a good thing. Collectors--and I consider myself one--if they are not careful, can drive the price right out of the reach of real riders. Do I have a stock bike? Nope--none of 'em. My '77 "D" has a '75 gas tank, front fender and mufflers. The handlebars are aftermarket, and the fairing came from a Yammie dealer in 1978.

The new '79 is destined to be a nice little cafe bike, with rear-sets, ace bars, a big tank if I can find one, and a racing seat.

But I won't alter the rake, nor will I chop up the frame. I have lots of respect for those who can do that sort of thing--or build the monoshock, silencers up under your bum, nose lowered into the dirt modern racer out of an XS, and do it right. It's just not me.

And there you have the essence, in my opinion: is it you? You bought it. You built it. Is it you? If so---great. If not, do it.

Otherwise-----why have the thing? Wink

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
kenb

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

It's been fun watching this thread! I followed a similar discussion on a hot-rod group recently, where the traditional hot rod guys were having it out with the historian crowd who couldn't believe that anyone would consider chopping the roof of an early 30's model A! I guess the bottom line is that we all fit into the program somewhere, and in our own ways we are all contributing to the survival of our pastime.

Take my XS650 for example. She's a beat up old '78 with an abusive 65K on it, and I had to look at quite a few of these bikes before I could find one in lousy enough condition to suit my purposes. I'm more of a metalshaper than a bike rider at this point, and I wanted this bike as a platform for one of the most challenging metalshaping projects I've ever attempted.

To the traditional folks who believe in preserving the XS650's that remain, I can only suggest that you would never have even looked at buying my bike unless you wanted it for spare parts, and I suspect that you would have been more likely to desire one of the bikes that I passed up on instead.

I'll likely keep the finished bike around for a while, but one day it will likely turn up again as a parts bike after I'm done with it, and will eventually live on in pieces on the pristine XS650's you guys are taking such good care of today. In the meantime, I'll enjoy what's left of it for a while and keep it out of the hands of the scrappers, who would chuck it into a blast furnace in a heartbeat for the price of the scrap metal.

Just like the folks who argue about the fate of the old Model A's, we all fit in there somewhere! As long as we all enjoy owning, riding and arguing about our XS650's, everything else is simply trivial. Smile

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

so we are all agreed then, excellent. glad to be of assistance in re-aligning the planet. now....does anyone know who's bike is pictured at the top right of the home page, the black beauty pictured from the left side...??
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

This can be analysed till the cows come home but the end product is what makes it enjoyable for the owner, even if that is to park it in the lounge and use it as a talking piece.............................I to was thinking about the rise of bobbing and chopping in this forum and i have only been joined to this site for 18 months and watched the member list grow from around 2000 to over 3500 today................Conclusion: you chopper guys obviously have taken advantage of the good nature and expertise of us squares/dorks to keep those hameroid bashers on the road..............Interestingly over at the www.650motorcycles.com/Bulletin Board/ (they are hard core choppers and some wouldn't wast their piss on stockers even if it was on fire), for the fist time a thread has opened up comparing and showing photo's of stockers..........................You try and take over our forum and we will take over yours, this is war.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Tally Ho...the dorks and squares are finally rebelling......forcing the metal manglers to their knees and begging for mercy and forgiveness.......well at least it's a plan.....? Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

One of the first questions i asked...........came across this one day, this is all i know................I love the seat and intend to get one made for myself.

bruce gaal\'s 650-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.57 KB
 Viewed:  78 Time(s)

bruce gaal\'s 650-2.jpg

bruce caal\'s 650.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.66 KB
 Viewed:  73 Time(s)

bruce caal\'s 650.jpg

Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

it does look awesome, i note the black fenders, front forks, chrome chain guard and obviously the motor mods...is that back wheel larger, or is it just the photo angle?
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Photo angle, the low rear makes the wheel look larger.............The Heritage specials came out all in black

tomdellinger13.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  273.03 KB
 Viewed:  71 Time(s)

tomdellinger13.jpg

tomdellinger12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  263.66 KB
 Viewed:  79 Time(s)

tomdellinger12.jpg

Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

sorry not all of them, i have an 83 Canadian Heritage Special and has the chrome and alloy wheels

xs 650 kane me.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.82 KB
 Viewed:  88 Time(s)

xs 650 kane me.jpg

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Wish I had on of these when I was a kid......Derby Bikes....80 lbs...

xsjohn

derby bike .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.67 KB
 Viewed:  84 Time(s)

derby bike .jpg

Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Yeah, John, but is it stock....? Laughing
Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Think they come with a wider seat to barb......if not I know I would have to change that......... Very Happy

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

True the the xs isn't a "valuable" bike in terms of dollars but some of them are a little rare, enough that I wouldn't mess with them. I've read there were only 10,000 sold worldwide in 1971. Honda was selling about 50,000 CB750s a year around that time.

I live in a reasonably big city, over 2 million people in the greater Vancouver area, but I've only seen two other XS1Bs for sale around here. One with a seized engine. I wish I had the cash to buy that one but it got away. I think the relative rarity of these bikes has kept most people from even knowing what they are. You can see a triumph parked outside just about any cafe in the city so people recognize the brand and want to pay more money.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Forums - ? for stock models

Englands a small country in comparason to over the pond so we get to travel to bike meets all over the country with ease , in all that travelling I reckon Ive not seen a stock XS650 for perhaps 7-8 years,I reckon the few that are around have been stashed away by their middle-class (loaded) owners (owners-not bikers) A 100% stock 77 XS went for £2500 ($4500) here recently... I rang the bloke out of curiousity & he sounded like Prince Charles !... I hate rich barstewards like him hoarding bikes as an investment..Thats why we cant find a reasonable priced British bike over here 'cos of the likes of him trailering their toys to the shows denying real riders the chance to use them as they were intended...rant..etc..... Evil or Very Mad
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4