650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > heat sink

heat sink
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Engine
tito650

PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 9:17 pm    Post subject: heat sink

have any of u guys ran a heat sink on any of your spin on filter set ups, on the bike or remote? if so, what kind of temp drop did u get? i'm building a heat sink right now and was wondering if i'm wasting my time?
Photo Gallery
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

Thats interesting ... never heard of it. Where would you install the heat sink so it could suck heat from oil in a useful config? What would it look like? I can't see it being very efficient ... but also I can't picture it. What better heat sink is there other than the engine blowing in the wind ... or an oil cooler? Share your info ideas please. All new ideas are welcomed!
tito650

PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

a heat sink is a series of aluminum fins that are wraped around the oil filter to kinda make it into a oil cooler. these can be unclamped and put on each filter u use. it won't work as well as a oil cooler but i'm gonna try this so i can kill two birds with one stone. my oil filter is located infront of the bike so it should get plenty of air .
Photo Gallery
Shannon60

PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

www.mikesxs.net/mikesx...ory_id=3.3
jpowell

PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

How complex are you getting? I've been comptemplating an oil cooler. Which is nothing more than porting the oil pump, letting it pump through a radiator, and porting it back into where the its supposed to go. robably right after the oil filter.

ikes sells a "oil cooler radiator" for $45. I think I can probably come up with the same thing cheaper. Its a small radiator. Napa probably sells something for a transmission cooler.

650central sells a port kit for $74.95. supprisingly neither of them sell both together. I like the idea of buying the port kit, cause I'm a little skittish of porting my own. If i screw up, well then I'm searching ebay for new side parts.

Probably should then get the double flow oil filter to ensure sufficient flow.

Then theres the options of putting little 12V fan either connected to a temp sensor, or just wired to run whenever the bike is on. Then of course you gotta get creative and make some kind of grill
The question is, is all worth it?

jpowell

PostPosted: January 15, 2009, 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

look at ebay item 360123926697

that all seams like it may be easier and more efficiant than a few fins on the side of the oil filter.

xsleo

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: heat sink

harley used to sell an oil cooler that was a finned tube that clamped around the oil filter. i have one off an 82 seca 650 turbo i might use after i get courage enough to add the ports in my side cover to hook in a cooler and oil filter. besides the cooling effect a cooler can make on the engine, adding the cooler and an external filter will increase the oil capacity. i have modified one of my sump plates to use a screw on lawn mower oil filter. it looks like the filter won't hang much below the frame tubes. i also want to drill out the sidecover to bypass the oil filter there, running the oil from the pump out to an external filter then thru a cooler then back to the engine. if i use an ph8a oil filter hangining off the front motor mount. with the cooler up under the steering head. the sump filter will add about 1/2 pint of oil, the ph8a will add a quart of oil, the cooler another 6 or 8 ounces. that will be another 1 1/2 quarts of oil to run thru the engine. thats almost twice as much oil capacity. the more oil the longer an engine runs. like most cars run 100,000 miles with regular care. big trucks can run 1,000,000 miles with regular care. cars run 4or 5 quarts of oil, big trucks use 5 to 7 gallons of oil. i know that there are other things besides oil capacity in how long an engine lasts but the more the better.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: heat sink

i have thought about plumbing in an oil cooler but i want to keep it simple. it doesn't really get that hot around here. so i figured where my spin on filter sets is a good place to try some fins. i have heard that some harley guys claim up to a 20 degree drop in temp by useing a heat sink on the filter ? of course i think there filter was plumbed away from the motor as mine is.
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: heat sink

Here is a circuit diagram of the oil cooler that I installed on my '78/E about 10 years ago. Could also be used for an external oil filter:

Drill out and tap one of the oil feed holes on the wet side cover:

Drill and tap a hole on the filter screen cover (the other line is for the pressure gauge):

Plug the hole that feeds the oil screen chamber from the oil passages. I used a bolt shank held in place with a roll pin. Doesn't matter if it leaks a little bit.

You could use the same idea to install an external oil filter as well. Suggest leaving the oil screen in place for a second line of defense when the bypass valve on the external filter opens.

This can all be done using ordinary hand tools in the comfort of your workshop or living room, and it's reversable in case you change your mind about the whole deal, or want to remove the cooler / filter when you sell the bike.

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: heat sink

A combination of things is really what brings the temp down to reality on these air cooled things.....80 degrees and above is really when the heat begins.....13 degrees here in NC this morning.....surely not a problem now....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jpowell

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: heat sink

Yeah but my question is... is it worth it? Here in Cincinnati probably from early july through sept it'll stay above 80. Is it worth the maybe $200 it'd cost me to build a fuild radiator oil cooler? or just try a simple clamp on? Or is the cooling of the air passing the motor good enough? ( think I know the answer to that last part...)
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: heat sink

Oil coolers work against you in the winter and should be covered.....definately work for you above 80 degrees.....I worked the heat issue till I was blue in the face....Got mine right.......surely a personal decision and is plagued with different opinions.......and like Isaid it is a combination of things that to me makes them run right in the hot summer months.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: heat sink

jpowell

The cost of an oil cooler would be $45 for Mikes oil cooler and another $5 for hoses and fittings.

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: heat sink

Well I thought if I put a radiator in the front, I could one - put a temp controlled fan in. This would help most sitting at idle. and 2 - put a valve in to bypass the radiator when its cold. The oil will still be flowing through piping outside the bike, but not through a radiator getting lots of air.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

Why not read my blurb on cooling in my account before going off....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jpowell

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

It'd be less than that, cause I found basicly that same radiator for less. Theres tons of those floating around, I think they're mostly marketed as transmission oil coolers. Found a kit on ebay with the radiator and hoses for I think $25. but then I need fittings to tap the pump and maybe some valves for bypass.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

jpowell

Well, the problem with a fan is that the oil flow is minimal when the engine is hot at idle and the battery is low because the alternator is not producing any power at low RPM's. As for a temperature controlled by pass, just easier and cheaper to fab a plate that blocks the cooler.

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

The cylinders are the hottest place on these ..... no cooler will effect this....and the right side helps make this worse......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jpowell

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

Well a small fan will only draw 1/4 amp. nothing compared to the headlight. And I understand the cylinders are the hottest, thats where the combustion takes place, but the cooler the oil flowing through the cooler everything over all will be... I think...
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

jpowell

Well, you won't get much actual engine cooling effect with a small oil cooler. The main purpose is to cool the oil to maintain its viscocity.

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

Just when you guys were thinking I was totally out of my mind......

I'm waiting for a used set of Mike's big finned cylinders....then I'm going to bore them or reduce the stock sleaves or whatever it takes so they fit in and use stock 650 pistons with the head raised .040 and the cam 2 degrees retard and be there...for double sure..... Very Happy

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jpowell

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

No, I didn't Just think you were out of your mind....
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

Could read between the lines on that one........but we were talking about heat.....and that would do it and have a real racer.......heat on these makes for less power............. xsjohn
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: heat sink

pamcopete thats a realy good diagram ! when i get my remote filter housing built ( just waiting on tig welding in the collars ) i'll post some pics of it and my heat sink. i'm realy happy with it so far. a freind of mine convinced me to make it out of stainless steel. and the heat sink of course is aluminum and has extra big fins . if this combo deosn't work then i'll put in a oil cooler. but i beleive for my area it will.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2