650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Scrambler-type high pipes

Scrambler-type high pipes
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

they also make excellent boat anchors
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

I think your right.........then you wouldn't have to look at it........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nixon186

PostPosted: January 9, 2009, 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

i made my pipes using stock headpipes, 1.5" exhaust pipe from napa and a welder. i took the easy route and wrapped them rather than grinding the welds and painting/powdercoating. heres a pic before i wrapped them and one after...

xsjohn

PostPosted: January 9, 2009, 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

nixon186...........Good job on the pipes.....wondering if the tail light will survive.....and does the wrap come in any colors...or is that a dumb question......?

jayel........the persang had 12-1 compression....while others used 8 or 9-1.........would make it a grenade.........but fast for a short time.....extra head gasket would have solved that but not for the finish line I'm afraid.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: January 9, 2009, 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Those Omar's pipes are just what I had in mind, but that's more than I have invested in the whole bike. I think I'll get on the bender & see what I can come up with. I still want a 2-1 out the left side in 1&3/4.

As for the scrambler issue; try bringing a dozen eggs home bungeed to your 6-pack rack & then tell me these things aren't scramblers. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: January 9, 2009, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

only colors i've noticed are black and white john. i put led bulbs in that taillight hoping they'll last.
metalredneck

PostPosted: January 9, 2009, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

I did find some black wrap that should be tasty for once they are bent up.

PostPosted: January 9, 2009, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

I snooped around.......found this site.......looks like wrap colors are available....1200 Degrees for colors.....double walled stock pipes don't get so hot I would guess........?

www.heatshieldproducts...t_wrap.php

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: January 9, 2009, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Those early BSA's were famous for the advancer sticking at full advance causing the burnt & stuck pistons. I have no idea why BSA made no effort to fix them. I had a 66 Bultaco Mettise as my first bike. Wish I still had it, fiberglass body and all. Hauled ass when you could keep it running after it got hot.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 9, 2009, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

My hornet pinged like hell......suppose if I had known I could have prevented the broken 10.5-1 pistons......which ate the barrels........put it back with 9-1 and it didn't ping.......but not as fast....but a better ride....
Owned 2 Montesa's....they were the smoothest 2 strokes I ever rode.....worked for Yamaha and rode quite a few...they were always very dependable.......lower compression than the Bultacos........probably not as fast either.....ran them in Florida where it was hot too........noticed the maicos and Huskys are worth their weight in gold now.......wish I had a barn full of those oldies......hindsight pays nothing.........

Spose making a street bike out of one of those early MX type bikes might not be all that easy.......they had very little flywheels and would be hard to tame for cruise.......put the mx small flywheel on my RT1 for a test and you couldn't stand to ride it on the road........put the big wheel back on the next day.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 10, 2009, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

You can paint the wrap any colour you fancy. My new stuff may go black..I aint decided yet Smile

@ nixon...hey bud you got a link for that exhaust pipe on the web?

I feel a favour coming on from one of you stateside riders. Smile LOL
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: January 10, 2009, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Im from Fla too originally. Had a first year YZ250 with the straps that held the tank on. It had a light switch for a throttle, all or nothing. Ended up putting an RT360 engine in it
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 10, 2009, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Woodman....I did Orlando Florida from 1965-1980......Lots of riding in the Ocala National Forest...Was in there a couple of times when they made passes over and droped some explosives...riding around in the bomb craters like idiots in the Naval testing grounds... should have been blown up..we had to make a pass or 2 thkrough the range every time we went.....no way they could catch us in their jeeps....but they tried....and the dunes at the beach were the greatest..could jump 50-75 feet at high speed...today it would be capitol for sure.....

YZ250 .....great bike.......must have fixed a hundred of them....when I worked Yamaha there........8 years I think...when rings were 3 dollars a set.......do have a footlocker of parts but don't run the 2 Rt's I have much lately.....maybe this spring I'll get off my tail and fire them up again.....it's been a couple of three years since I took that pic of them ..............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: January 10, 2009, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

I found a 60' roll for a buck a foot from a local speed shop. That's probably what's going to happen this year.

Thanks, guys!

PostPosted: January 11, 2009, 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Jake68 wrote:
You can paint the wrap any colour you fancy. My new stuff may go black..I aint decided yet Smile

you mean a link for the header wrap? i found it on ebay.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 11, 2009, 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Jake mentioned painting over the wrap....wonder if that would give wanted color and easier clean and some duration.......never tried wrap so just curious.....may have to restort to that someday........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 11, 2009, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

nixon186 wrote:
Jake68 wrote:

you mean a link for the header wrap? i found it on ebay.

I might have misunderstood..I meant the actual pipe itself..

Do you buy it as bends as weld it together?
Photo Gallery
cpt137

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

eat your hearts out
metalredneck

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

I have decided (due to poverty, the Kanuckistan dollar, and just being a cheap-ass) to paint the pipes instead of wrapping them. I may go with hi-heat orange header paint to go with the paint scheme, and so I can find it in a parking lot full of billet-barges.

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

XSJohn, did you ever ride the phosphate {?} pits at Croom near Brooksville Fl ?
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Woodman.....(FLORIDA BEFORE THE SNOW BIRDS AND CUBANS and the FEDS...Just US IDIOTS).....Thought no one knew of the Croom on this site...Surely those at Mikesxs do.....the 15 years I spent in Orlando 1965-1980 it was either the Croom or Ocala National Forest.....or jumping the dunes on the beach in front of the Kennedy Space Center........most weekends weather permitting we were at one of those places....totally addicted..........400/18 flattened front tires to float over the sand at high speed ...big ass knobby on the back of course....Triumph Bonnie.....raked 2 degrees and longer swing arm....super brodies down the beach.....like skiing........bringing back memories....even jumped over 2 girls between the dunes sun bathing by accident........ my buddy hit a Coconut and crashed that same day......what fun we had ......at least 2 jeep cans of fuel............no laws broken then............usualy rode 360's or 400's........except for the sliding Bonnie....it threw a rooster tail on everone behind so they didn't like it in the croom.....175's were good in the Croom too.....

The croom.......going down a trail then straight up.......then straight down......better know what the hell your doing there for sure...........we dragged many of them out of there broken and bleeding..........

Another thing we got hooked on…..Building small hydroplanes…..18 and 25 HP Merc Huricanes…soup them up….speed props....Put in at Bass fish camp and cross the big lake and up the Oklawaha River to the silver River and on to silver springs…..great fun…..round trip was a long day...

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

As far as painting the wrap, they make a black silicone preservative just for that purpose. I used it on my Harley and it keeps the stuff from unraveling. Really looks good once the smell goes away from riding it. I wet the wrap first, it allows a tighter wrap once it drys. You use stainless tie wraps then spray it with the silicone. I used to ride the Everglades on the enduro trails, if you could call them trails. bike had to be water proofed to the max and geared so you could walk beeside it in low gear. Max amount of mud like the Daytona enduro in a wet year. I lived furthur south in Miami but we went to Croom 6 or 8 times a year. A bit intimadating at first until a 10 year old shoots by you down into the pits
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Woodman.......Those little bikes could leave you in the dust in the Croom......but just the opposite on the beach and in Ocala National forest..........but some of those straight up 50-75 foot clifts in the Croom you sure needed some power to get to the top.....especially when there was no run up to them.....there was a couple of those straight up hills I never got the guts to try.......and coming down some of them just free falling for first 40 feet and having to go in between the trees at the bottom when it was slick was always an eye opener to say the least.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: January 25, 2009, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrambler-type high pipes

Power on and weight back in the sugar sand. Rode my 360 powered YZ250. What exhausts have you had good luck with? This 78 XS650E I just got has the Dunstall replicas with stock head pipes. Wish someone made affordable headers to pick from. I really like the short reverse cone megaphone copys for looks but I already have these in good shape.. I dont care about speed, I have other bikes if I want that, I just like the 650s

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3