650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Hardtail Section

Hardtail Section
    Forum Index -> Frames
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 25, 2008, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Hardtail Section

I am looking for an excellent quality hardtail section, and someone who can perfessionally attach to a 650 frame? I am trying for a 50s look, and would like to use the stock rear-tire with very little drop or stretch. Also in the market for a large comfortable sprung seat to go on this bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shalom, Marc
sure

PostPosted: December 25, 2008, 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Feel free to check us out..www.ardcorechoppers.com
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 26, 2008, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

I have tried, but can not get your site to come up. I have a very slow dial-up connection and some sites just will not load. Do you have an address that will allow me to view the site in alternate mode for dial-up users? Or perhaps a catalog that I can actually touch, read and lay down on the table.

Shalom, Marc

1970 Norton Commando
1981 Honda XL185S
1986 Honda VF700C Magna
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2008 Yamaha XT250
Yamaha XS650 in progress
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 26, 2008, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Longevity means everything to me. The bike I build I want to ride for the rest of my life. I am not a welder so being able to put the bike back together without fabricating brackets and things is also important. What are those on the forum using? Or I should say, what have you used that has lasted many years without problem?

1970 Norton Commando
1981 Honda XL185S
1986 Honda VF700C Magna
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2008 Yamaha XT250
Yamaha XS650 in progress

Last edited by MarcP1956 on December 26, 2008, 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 26, 2008, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Stock.....just tweak.....especially if you in tend to get old like me......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 26, 2008, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Really want a hardtail with an old stock look. (And perhaps another that is bone stock.) I really am a purist (as most old Norton owners are) but I am going to push past my borders and build something unique. That is my hope anyway.

1970 Norton Commando
1981 Honda XL185S
1986 Honda VF700C Magna
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2008 Yamaha XT250
Yamaha XS650 in progress
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 26, 2008, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Sometimes time could be best spent on the engine.......the challenge to getting them to really truly purr down the road without all the vibes and clattering can be the most interesting challenge in itself.....especially if the odometer spins a bunch.....no one really notices the outside much but we do notice when the inside is right or wrong....ah s*** I'm an ole dummy who cares........

Have spent a considerable amount of time on that subject.......Yamaha did most everything else decent......at least for me.....but what a piece of s*** to go anywhere on...geared like a tractor to begin with.....the list of other needs is endless ..for the long run...and a classy ride......don't ask don't tell...know how that story goes.........buzzzzbrrrrbuzzzzzzzwack.....too much compression for the long fun to begin with....then they say....well it will reduce the power some....no it won't if you get the rest in a stack......if not then the 15-20 thousand trashed then fix.......only could sell that theory to someone that didn't know these turds.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 26, 2008, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

MMmmm.... xsjohn, are you a reloader? You sound like it. The challenge of getting a load just right, for me, is equal to the enjoyment of hunting or target shooting. I'm pretty fair with engines, and will get it running well. I am overboard meticulous about the details. Frame geometry is another matter - I do not have the equipment, nor a great deal of knowledge on the subject. And I want it perfect.

Did you mean that Yamaha did everything except the engine decent? I have had two XS650's and was pretty pleased the the engine. Maybe I misunderstood you?

1970 Norton Commando
1981 Honda XL185S
1986 Honda VF700C Magna
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2008 Yamaha XT250
Yamaha XS650 in progress
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 26, 2008, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Not the first XS I've owned....and have been on Yamahas for 45 years........after dropping the compression just a "bit" all the old hassels disappeared.....everyone is on the more more thing...that subject would have flown right over my head not knowing what it was screwing and all the repairs........porting and correct carbs and exhaust make up for all that banging and there it is........smooth..........told me that 10 years ago and I would have ignored it myself..........it's only a 650.....they tried to sell it for more......at my time and expense also I might add......and geared it like a tractor to please the first go..go.. go ride......dang ...

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 26, 2008, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Thanks for the advise - dropping the compression just a "bit." Makes sense with the type of gas we have available today. I'm not much for pushing the limits with a 650. I want longevity and reliability. If I wanted more power I would have kept my GS1000. It was plenty fast, and dependable.

1970 Norton Commando
1981 Honda XL185S
1986 Honda VF700C Magna
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2008 Yamaha XT250
Yamaha XS650 in progress
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 26, 2008, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Not just the gas.......this little engine just vibrates too much if puffed up too much with all that pressure........150 is a normal running compression stock.....went to 135 (+ .040 thou up with a second head gasket bonded together in the center well).......problem starts with the cam .....it 100% absolutely for sure has to be pressed off the chain wheel and re-pressed on because raising the head advances the cam 2 degrees....it's already advanced up against the wall.......easy to change without problems......20-25 thousands retard to take the cam back to factory setting....measured at the junction of the cam and chainwheel mating surface..... easy to push off with a 6" piece of heavy muffler pipe cut straight to support he chainwheel and reposition with a mark........move the cam clockwise on the notch side of the cam (left side as it sets in the engine)....the cam has to be moved clockwise 20-25 thou in the clock wise dirrection within the chain wheel.....if not it will definately 100% won't run right....if so you nailed it.....slick...been there and done that.....not a biggie if I had known before the first try........can't raise the head without moving the cam slightly to put it back in correct stock time (for 100% sure).....after all that.. what a ride......

Ok back to hacking the frames and all that stufff......ffff

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
XSDAD

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Where are you (and the bike) located MarcP1956? My brother in law is about to weld a hardtail for me, we intend on doing all the proper measurements and stretch it about 3-4 inches while keeping a fairly high (stock-ish) ground clearence so that it can still take corners properly. If you're close enough we (he) can probably help you as well, seeing how we would just be using the same jig and measurements.

XSDAD
Winnipeg.

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Winnipeg - bet that's a long ways from the Oregon coast. It does sound like what I'm looking for though.

Shalom, Marc

1970 Norton Commando
1981 Honda XL185S
1986 Honda VF700C Magna
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2008 Yamaha XT250
Yamaha XS650 in progress
calicruiser

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

hey man, we can build you one and weld it on. It will last longer than you;) check out our site.

www.freewebs.com/glchoppers

thanks for looking
josh
G&L Choppers
XSDAD

PostPosted: December 28, 2008, 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

calicruiser... Dom and Tig welded with 4 inch stretch, pretty nice for a good price... how are the bends made?

PostPosted: December 28, 2008, 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

Has any forum members used G & L Choppers? Great site!

Shalom, Marc

1970 Norton Commando
1981 Honda XL185S
1986 Honda VF700C Magna
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2008 Yamaha XT250
Yamaha XS650 in progress
calicruiser

PostPosted: December 28, 2008, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail Section

XSDAD wrote:
calicruiser... Dom and Tig welded with 4 inch stretch, pretty nice for a good price... how are the bends made?

it is a ratchet style bender. thanks for the comps!

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1