650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > New Member - Great Site!

New Member - Great Site!
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 1:13 am    Post subject: New Member - Great Site!

I have owned 2 different XS650s and am currently in the market for another. Any advice on the best year? I just let a '79 slip through my fingers; got greedy and tried to get it too cheap - $700 and I wanted to ride it home for $500. These bike were my introduction to the British motorcycle world, but I must admit my XS650s were more reliable than my Norton. Looking forward to getting a new project going!

Shalom, Marc

Oh yes, a little about myself. Husband, Father, Grandfather, and Messianic in faith. I live on the Oregon coast and my current stable: 2007 Triumph Bonneville, 2008 Yamaha XT250, 86 Honda VF700C Magna, 1970 750 Norton Commando, and a little Honda XL185S. Hope to soon add an XS650! Should let one go to make way for it ..... Nah
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

Welcome to 650rider. Lots of great people here that enjoy bikes. You have a nice variety of bikes to play with.

These bikes got better as the years went on. 70 and 71 had no starter motor. Up to 73 the frames were not the best for handling. 74 they made improvements to the frame and started the 447 series of motors. I believe it was 78 that they upgraded the forks from 34 mm to 35 mm. 80 started the TCI electronic ignition.

Here's a link;
www.xs650.org.au/general%20info.HTM
Photo Gallery
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

Great link, thanks. Just what I was looking for. I'm going out and looking at a 650 today ... hope it is still available.

Shalom, Marc

1970 Norton Commando
1981 Honda XL185S
1986 Honda VF700C Magna
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2008 Yamaha XT250
Yamaha XS650 in progress
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

Those 650s move quick! It was gone. The search continues.

Shalom, Marc

1970 Norton Commando
1981 Honda XL185S
1986 Honda VF700C Magna
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2008 Yamaha XT250
Yamaha XS650 in progress
Pure-Pork

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

Welcome to another guy with face fur and a love of motorcycles, all kinds and sizes. 2 wheels and a motor, let's ride 'em!
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

Love the "dresser" under your beard. I'm looking to put something together very similar. Do you do much 2 up riding with it? Looks like a pretty comfortable set up.

Shalom, Marc
Pure-Pork

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

MarcP1956 wrote:
Love the "dresser" under your beard. I'm looking to put something together very similar. Do you do much 2 up riding with it? Looks like a pretty comfortable set up.

Shalom, Marc

It's not too bad, the seat is off some H-D model that we got at a swap meet for 60 bucks, not real comfortable due to the buttons on the seat, but a better seat will fix that. I welded on a H-D duo-glide rear frame section, that stretched the wheelbase 6 inches.. I got the H-D old style glass saddlebags and brackets at a yard sale for 50 bucks.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 22, 2008, 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

Welcome Marc! I like my old XS too. Tell me what is your opinion of the 07 Bonnie you have. I'm looking for something to buy in the next year for some light one up touring that is newer and reliable. Maybe ride out to visit my sis in Phoenix. Last night I was at a Christmas party and was browsing the Triumph site on my buddys pc....I was looking and his friend ( rides a Roadking) said what about the vibration? I almost busted out laughing...VIBRATION? Coming from a Harley rider?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
MarcP1956

PostPosted: December 22, 2008, 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

I love it. It is a keeper. Very strong, corners well, and over engineered in case you want to do some performance improvements in the future. Only problem that I have had with the bike was a fuel cap that won't ratchet properly ... and the dealer has yet to solve this problem. (Pretty small stuff.) Just keeps running trouble free with absolutely no oil leaks! I have the Bonneville Black and do not regret it for one moment. When looking my dollar limit was $17,000 and I picked the Triumph. Yes I like it. One of the only bike with my kind of riding position - much like your XS650. I like HD, but prefer the Triumph. Sit on one, take it down the road, you'll like it. Oh, and you won't pass yourself on the road every day; that appeals to me. I am looking forward to getting a Yamaha 650 again, but until then (and after) the Triumph is very satisfactory. Puts a smile on my face each time I ride it.

Shalom, Marc
whynot2

PostPosted: December 29, 2008, 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

Welcome to the group Marc,
I thought the forks went to the larger size in '77 which I prefer, easier to get springs for the new forks. Some think the '77 is the smoothest and best. As much as I like my '80 I would avoid the models with the rear disc brake. I've been riding my '80 since '89 and it's too much brake, locks up too easily. I don't think Yamaha got the electronic ignition right until '81. A lot of '80's have a pounding vibration. Mine did not go away until I converted it to points. Now it is smoother than my '81. Or was until I used John's needles etc in the '81. If I foolishly sold either bike I'd most likely look for a '77.
Greg

1989 FJ1200
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 29, 2008, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

Can adjust the foot pedal down on the disk brake.....up high it seems to grab...77 had the smaller fork tubes....at least mine did......My original crank in my 80 vibrated like hell.......it came to me with 9k on it and you couldn't stand to ride it.......had the crank balanced and still wasn't happy......finally used a pre 80 crank which has ""different"" balancing holes......not sure that was it....but way better.....and the 80-and up mixtures were lean making them vibrate a bunch more......and the way I set the needles for right and left makes them run smoother....black art for sure.........and a bunch of testing....

Also think the 80 and up added .2 to the compression ratio.....would make it pound a bit more........mine is now at 8-1 is smoother than it's ever been....about time.....a pleasure to ride......bit more black art but easy...

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 29, 2008, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

I've never had any problems with rear disk brake on my 78SE, works nice and smooth, no lock ups. Most braking done with the front anyway. Disk brakes front and rear is the best for safety.

Vibration's not excessive on 78SE. Can cruise along at 100 km/hr (62 mph) for hours.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 29, 2008, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

Some people are less annoyed with vibrations and some of these do actually run along decently smooth........my 77 out of the box was way smoother than my 80.......I mean way smoother......still think it's the newer cranks that vibrate more........but one would have to change a bunch of them to be really be sure........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: December 29, 2008, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

Hi Marc,

Welcome to the Site! I have a '77 "D", and consider it perfect, or just this side of same. It lugs a chair around with no whining, and we have been over to Montana a couple of times, and down to Oregon, west of Portland, and a couple of trips years ago to San Diego. I've had her since 1978, and she has outlasted half a dozen Nortons, several Triumphs, and many BSA twins (not a very high bar with that plain bush...).

You have a '70 Commando? Cool! I had a '69 Fastback and a '70 Roadster that I converted to Interstate--I love Nortons!

Keep looking for your XS--they are out there. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a '79 special with a spare engine for $350.00, a real bargain in my opinion. I see them now and then on Craigslist/Portland....

Again, Welcome!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Dunbar

PostPosted: December 29, 2008, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member - Great Site!

hey there, Marc. wellcome to the forums, good to see another Oregon boy up in here (even though i'm in ND right now).

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1