650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > shoe dodging !!!

shoe dodging !!!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
tweedy64

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 6:39 am    Post subject: shoe dodging !!!

Nice bit of shoe dodging by mr B. cheers tweedy
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Yeah, kinda looked like he was smiling through it all too.
BigGeorge

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

I would have thrown the shoes back. Kind of like a snowball fight only with shoes..........BG
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

BigGeorge wrote:
I would have thrown the shoes back. Kind of like a snowball fight only with shoes..........BG

I would of put them on and said thanks!

81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

The journalist who tossed his shoes has become a major celebrity in Iraq and a hero throughout the entire Middle East. Although some are upset that traditional Arab notions of hospitality were ignored everyone is glad that Bush had to experience an uncomfortable episode, if only for a moment, as a result of the his illegal and unjustified invasion and plundering of a sovereign nation.

greg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

I thought it's too bad they were shoes and not grenades.

I've watched that video on youtube several times and I notice that Shrub was pasty-faced and looked thoroughly shaken while joking "So what if some guy threw a shoe at me." By my estimate, he must have s*** his britches before he realized that he was going to survive unhurt.
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Yea....Obama will fare much better......he will be wearing his turban......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
kenb

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

This man is going to be a folk hero far beyond the borders of Iraq. His motives and actions will no doubt be judged anywhere from heroic to disgusting depending on who you talk to, but this guy has got some balls that's for sure! Sort of reminds me of the guy in China who had the showdown with the tank back in the 90's.

Have those shoes turned up on E-bay yet?

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Just what we need.......more folk heroes that want to blow us up......he should have left there with the shoes sticking out his ass......Chamberlain would have kissed his ass and Churchill would have ripped his head off.....that's where we are at........either win or loose...... pick one.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

while he rewards our tax dollars to bail out yet another corporation. It is disgusting that the auto makers can run there businesses into the ground and they get federal bailout. This people is Chrysler's second bail out in my lifetime. Why doesn't the government bail out my business and every other company that has gone down in history. Why the rich large corporations, over and over again.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

The shoes turned up today at a mass-transit board meeting in Long Island, NY. The chairman and his board held a vote to see how citizens felt about a 40 percent rate increase and reduced service hours. Citizens voted unanimously against the proposed measure, whereupon the board passed it over citizens objections. Some guy in the crowd stood up and yelled at the chairman: "You make $300,000 a year, asshole! This shoe is for you!" and wound up to hurl it at the chairman.

At that point he was jumped on by security and ejected from the meeting. But he got my vote regardless. Direct action like that is what it's going to take to change things. If we're not ready to physically combat them, they're just going to go on as they are. When it's no longer safe for them to show their faces in public, they will call out the troops. But if we persist, we will win in the end.

There are more than 300 million American citizens today. Our oppressors are a microscopic minority. All the weapons and all the laws and all the cops in the world can't save them if we decide to make a fight of it. They know it, too.

Heaven only knows what we'll have to do with John.
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

The Matrix style flickr.com/photos/3099...3/sizes/o/

... its a slow motion of the shoe
Barbara

PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Well, I guess I'm showing my age, but I remember as a child seeing the pictures of Nixon's car being egged and trashed in South America---anyone who thinks that a shoe or two will make any actual difference is smokin' the good stuff and I wish they'd share!

The US (and probably all) government agencies and people are all part of such a huge, self-sustaining octopus, and one that survives by expansion, that pretty much anything we do will be tolerated only as long as it is ineffective.

I'm sure they love things like shoe-throwing. Everyone can go home and feel good and say, "Yeah, we showed those bastards!" and then things will go on as before, without interruption.

Speaking of which, did you guys know that Obama was elected President the other day? Yeah--the Electoral College, (you know--the people who actually elect our President)--decided to follow the popular ("advisory") vote this time. Nice of 'em, huh?

I'm not usually this pessimistic, but too much politics will turn anyone sour for awhile.

Politics sucks. I like Real-life much better.....real life includes bikes! Laughing

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Here's another one for John. Hint -- if you click on the picture, you get the full-screen image.
danno

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Barb: I have a 4 bit house with a million dollar view. Will you marry me? I like your style !!!
tweedy64

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

I guess to us westerners having a shoe thrown at you is no big deal but in the middle east it is, remember saddams statue falling and all the iraqis beating it with there shoes. cheers tweedy
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Are steel-toed boots considered weapons of mass destruction?

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Does anybody here know exactly what it means to have a shoe thrown at you by an Arab? I mean: what does it mean to the Arab? How and why did shoe-throwing become a gesture of contempt? If the shoe-tosser put the gesture into words, precisely what would he or she say?

Does anybody know that?
kenb

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

metalredneck wrote:
Are steel-toed boots considered weapons of mass destruction?

I was wondering about golf cleats as well. Could it be that they use different types of shoes depending on the degree of anger they want to express? Throwing a soft fuzzy bunny slipper may be the appropriate response when your foe steals your parking spot for example, with skiboots and weighted strap-on scuba diving overshoes being reserved for more serious offences.

Ken

Last edited by kenb on December 18, 2008, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Don't forget Richard Reid (the shoe bomber).......

We could require everyone take off their shoes before entering.....foot baths and all.......

xsjohn

richard reid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.32 KB
 Viewed:  91 Time(s)

richard reid.jpg

Photo Gallery
kenb

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

jimmythetrucker wrote:
Does anybody here know exactly what it means to have a shoe thrown at you by an Arab? I mean: what does it mean to the Arab? How and why did shoe-throwing become a gesture of contempt? If the shoe-tosser put the gesture into words, precisely what would he or she say?
Does anybody know that?

I looked around a little bit, and this is about the closest thing I found. I found tons of references to shoe tossing as college type pranks & such, shoe trees, etc. , but this is the only direct Arab reference I've seen.

From Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoeing
Shoeing, Throwing shoes and using shoes for protest is a common practice, notably in Arab countries, who have cultural prejudices against feet because it is the "lowest part of the body".

edit: I've also read up on this in a blog or two, and many of the comments I read suggest that seeking a cultural explanation is probably reading too deeply between the lines. An insult is pretty much an insult regardless of where people live, and it's not as though a shoe thrown at a politician here in the west would raise any less controversy.

Interesting times anyways! Smile

Ken

Last edited by kenb on December 18, 2008, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
XSDAD

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Simply showing the soles of the shoes is an insult, that's why you see often in the news them holding up their sandles in protest.

For example, I beleive it was in Bosnia, where a US army helicopter flew over a large religious gathering , or protest, I don't remember, but the soldiers were sitting on the side of the helicopter, with their feet hanging out, and it was seen as a huge insult to the residents. Kinda like someone drivng by giving you the finger in our times, or bitting the thumb in shakespearian plays.

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Wonder what they would think about a red eye........... Evil or Very Mad

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: shoe dodging !!!

Apropos of this has nothing to do with old motorcycles... The soles of shoes and sandals and the bottom of ones feet are considered unclean and an insult if shown up or pointed in the direction of another. But not just in the Middle East. This is true throughout Asia from Singapore to China. I discovered this fact after insulting people throughout SE Asia.

greg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2