650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Storing for winter prep?

Storing for winter prep?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
XSDAD

PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Storing for winter prep?

Hi all, what should I do to the bike before I store it for the winter? 83 650xs.

She'll be in a un-heated shop. possible mice.

Do I need to disconnect battery?
Do I need to have it off it's wheels?
Do I need to add gas stabilizer?

any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Xsdad
XSDAD

PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

well, I found this site. anything else I should consider?
www.procycleonline.com...orage.html

PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

That's a good guide. I don't add stabilizer to the gas if it's just going to sit one winter in an unheated area and I've never had a problem. Higher temps and heat are what make the gas go bad faster. I store my lawn mower the same way - no stabilizer - and don't have problems with it in the spring either. I do need to add stabilizer to my snowblower, though. Sitting through the hot summer will turn the gas in it bad. I didn't put the stabilizer in it one summer and it gave me starting problems the following fall until I put fresh gas in it.
metalredneck

PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

I have a habit of driving it into the garden shed, then starting it for the first run in April. Seems to work.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

That "link" is totally accurate on bike storage. I always drain my carbs, you just can't be too careful with those small orifices. I believe in totally draining the gas tank and then hanging some dessicant bags down inside the tank to absorb any moisture. I always remove my battery and store in a warm area, with the occasional low current charge. Both tires not touching concrete is good practice too. Many people use "Sta-bil" and leave fuel tank and carbs full, and that works well. Its also a good idea to remove your chain and soak it in some solvent to clean it, and then re-oil ready for next spring.
I use "Sta-bil" in the gasoline that I have for my snowblower, because sometimes it sits for quite a while between snowfalls here in Calgary.
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

Hi Guys,

I know it is different for everyone, but right now I'm really feeling lucky---here out on the Pacific coast of Washington State, I ride year-round. Not as much in the winter, and I won't be going to Montana until Spring, but I was riding yesterday, and will be heading up into the Cascades next week. The sidecar helps, as does a big fairing (vintage 1978) and home-made leg-shields. Also the Hippo Hands and big winter gloves.....but the main thing is that winter for us is from 40F to 20F, and hardly ever lower than that, and perhaps a few heavy snowfalls throughout the winter, with the rest just rain.

So, while I'm jealous of the riders in California, I don't mind a little rain, if that means I can ride through the winter!

I do know that when I restored my cafe BSA, the varnish that once was gasoline was really hard to clean from the carb! I'd drain the tank and carb(s) on any bike that I wasn't going to ride for more than 6 months.

Tomorrow she gets a new tire and chain, and I'm ready!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: November 4, 2008, 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

I always fill up the tank, to keep it from rusting, and add some either Stabil or Seafoam as directed. I run the motor long enough to know some of that gas gets in the carbs. Draining the carbs is probably a good idea but I have never had any troubles, but definitely fill your tank. In the spring I will only burn off about a gallon of the old gas before I top it off with some fresh stuff. I think the most the bike has sat is 4.5 months Dec. - March.
G

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 4, 2008, 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

Storage? Just ride it! I know some people live in cold climates, but when I lived in N. Wilkesboro NC I rode year round. I don't advise it for everyone, but it can be done.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
XSDAD

PostPosted: November 4, 2008, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

I live in Winnipeg, Drifter, not an option.
Thanks for all the tips, I was mostly concerned with carbs and battery... And easy. I appreciate the advice.

PostPosted: November 4, 2008, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

It depends on the winter here in South Dakota. Some winters I have riden every month, others not a chance from mid Nov. to April. I rode the bike today. It is suppose to get to 71 here today then they are predicting 2" of snow on Thursday night. It will probably not last long. Another advantage of keeping the tank topped off... If you are lucky enough to get a nice day get on and take a ride through town. I usually pull the battery & spay some Tri-Flo in the cylinders.
'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 4, 2008, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

XSDAD, I know what you are talking about. Many years ago I lived in Anchorage AK. Winters aren't really ridable there. I do know one guy who works on the pipeline pumps who rides a Kawasaki Vulcan all year long.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
XSDAD

PostPosted: November 6, 2008, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

Trust me, I'd LOVE to ride year round, but when the snow is higher than the top of the tires... get's a little tricky.

On a side note, it's snowing right now.

PostPosted: November 6, 2008, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

guy here used to ride his cbr1000 year round. has studded dirtbike tires on it. and for plugging it in has a coolant heater/recirculator with a battery blanket. neat to see on a -20*c day with ankle deep snow.
XSDAD

PostPosted: November 6, 2008, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing for winter prep?

Wow, I bet that would be a BLAST. Cold as H though.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1